Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AK off, Murphy on. WTF?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tried and trusted with 10 mins to go, it worked so was the correct decision

Could have been made earlier if anything. Glad to see Murphy come on rather someone we don't know a lot about yet in the Premier League.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Isn't everyone forgetting Izquiredo is a Left Midfielder, Knocky and Murphy are Right Midfielders??

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just before he was substituted, he'd twice kicked the ball into touch when attempting to pass to Bruno, and he was on a yellow.
He was tired and making mistakes.

Good point, we'd mentioned the yellow and the fact he was looking tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Good point, we'd mentioned the yellow and the fact he was looking tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruno played well but also looked tired, i just think Chris picks he subs and minutes prior to the game unless something drastic has happened.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why not Rosenior on instead if wanted to shore up the right hand side? Played RM successfully before AK arrived

I've not been convinced by Rosenoir of late and was happy with Murphy and with the benfit of hindsight it worked.

I'm struggling to see how Izquierdo gets a decent chance though. March and AK are doing well and I guess he has to wait until we're chasing a game and he'll have to make his 20 minutes really count. That will be tough, pity we're out of the milk cup thing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bruno played well but also looked tired, i just think Chris picks he subs and minutes prior to the game unless something drastic has happened.

All of the team we've played so far have had much more depth on the bench than we currently have.

Man City

1 Claudio Bravo
7 Raheem Sterling 78'
15 Eliaquim Mangala
19 Leroy Sane 68'
20 Bernardo Silva 83'
42 Yaya Toure
47 Phil Foden

Leicester

3 Benjamin Chilwell
7 Demarai Gray 90+3'
10 Andy King
12 Ben Hamer
18 Daniel Amartey
19 Islam Slimani 76'
23 Leonardo Ulloa

Watford

28 Andre Carrillo 47'
9 Troy Deeney 83'
10 Isaac Success Ajayi
15 Craig Cathcart 28'
23 Ben Watson
29 Etienne Capoue
30 Costel Pantilimon

West Brom

3 Kieran Gibbs 57'
5 Claudio Yacob
7 James Morrison 71'
11 Chris Brunt
13 Boaz Myhill
14 James McClean
17 Oliver Burke 57'

Plucky
1 Artur Boruc
4 Dan Gosling 90+3'
9 Benik Afobe 78'
16 Lewis Cook
26 Tyrone Mings
31 Lys Mousset
33 Jordon Ibe 65'

Toon

7 Jacob Murphy
8 Jonjo Shelvey 68'
9 Dwight Gayle 71'
10 Mohamed Diame
19 Javi Manquillo
26 Karl Darlow
27 Jesus Gamez 83'

Us yesterday

26 Tim Krul
4 Uwe Hunemeier
15 Jamie Murphy 81'
19 Jose Izquierdo
21 Ezequiel Schelotto
23 Liam Rosenior
37 Isaiah Brown

D

Deleted member 2719

All of the team we've played so far have had much more depth on the bench than we currently have.

Man City

1 Claudio Bravo
7 Raheem Sterling 78'
15 Eliaquim Mangala
19 Leroy Sane 68'
20 Bernardo Silva 83'
42 Yaya Toure
47 Phil Foden

Leicester

3 Benjamin Chilwell
7 Demarai Gray 90+3'
10 Andy King
12 Ben Hamer
18 Daniel Amartey
19 Islam Slimani 76'
23 Leonardo Ulloa

Watford

28 Andre Carrillo 47'
9 Troy Deeney 83'
10 Isaac Success Ajayi
15 Craig Cathcart 28'
23 Ben Watson
29 Etienne Capoue
30 Costel Pantilimon

West Brom

3 Kieran Gibbs 57'
5 Claudio Yacob
7 James Morrison 71'
11 Chris Brunt
13 Boaz Myhill
14 James McClean
17 Oliver Burke 57'

Plucky
1 Artur Boruc
4 Dan Gosling 90+3'
9 Benik Afobe 78'
16 Lewis Cook
26 Tyrone Mings
31 Lys Mousset
33 Jordon Ibe 65'

Toon

7 Jacob Murphy
8 Jonjo Shelvey 68'
9 Dwight Gayle 71'
10 Mohamed Diame
19 Javi Manquillo
26 Karl Darlow
27 Jesus Gamez 83'

Us yesterday

26 Tim Krul
4 Uwe Hunemeier
15 Jamie Murphy 81'
19 Jose Izquierdo
21 Ezequiel Schelotto
23 Liam Rosenior
37 Isaiah Brown

I totally agree until we get some back, we have got much impact from the bench.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I totally agree until we get some back, we have got much impact from the bench.

Exactly - hence we don't make changes unless forced to and all changes will have to at least maintain the same level of defensive cover.

As things stand Iquierdo represents too much of a defensive risk at 1-0 up. 1-0 down or 3-0 up and he's an option.

D

Deleted member 2719

Exactly - hence we don't make changes unless forced to and all changes will have to at least maintain the same level of defensive cover.

As things stand Iquierdo represents too much of a defensive risk at 1-0 up. 1-0 down or 3-0 up and he's an option.

I agree again, i just thought AK looked good defensively, which i probably couldn't always say! Yes we nicked it, fortunately we got away with the Shelvey corner!

I am the first to get AK off if he has lost it, but i just thought he looked totally in control yesterday, so a bit of a kick in the teeth.

The points say 3 so CH was right.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
My worry isn't Murphy coming on (I get that he was the safe and sensible option), it's that I worry CH doesn't seem to want to give Izquierdo games in any situation. Does he not trust him?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My worry isn't Murphy coming on (I get that he was the safe and sensible option), it's that I worry CH doesn't seem to want to give Izquierdo games in any situation. Does he not trust him?

Where do you think CH would place his trust were the score to have been 0-1?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think the answer was given in Post #5, but the bigger question would be... why, with just a few minutes on the clock, one goal up and the opposition throwing everything at us, does CH not run the clock down by using all his available substitutions?

Murphy was the right move IMHO but that still leaves 2 more that could have been used to waste time and kill Newcastle's momentum (ie throwing someone else on between their double corner in the SE corner to calm the defense and disruption the opposition.)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
AGREED 100%

But he was nackered and a couple of times he was so tired he neglected some of the defensive duties. Knocky was great today

We needed fresh legs on that side - CH called it right. I was delighted to see Knocky being knocky at being taken off - shows how badly he wants it. We've got a great, close squad at BHA right now.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Knocky should have been off 10 minutes earlier imo. Made some good bursting runs but also looked off the pace defensively and left Bruno 2vs1 at times, even in the first half. Murphy was the correct sub as he is a known quantity, works hard defensively and certainly put a shift in when he came on yesterday.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I agree again, i just thought AK looked good defensively, which i probably couldn't always say! Yes we nicked it, fortunately we got away with the Shelvey corner!

I am the first to get AK off if he has lost it, but i just thought he looked totally in control yesterday, so a bit of a kick in the teeth.The points say 3 so CH was right.

CH would never kick AK in the teeth. Both men have too much respect for each other

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here