Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strong and Stable - Congratulations to Angela Merkel on a 4th term

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
my simple understanding of German politics is that Merkel is leader because people cant abide the alternatives. not so say there aren't capable other just none that can amass sufficient support. and CDU will still be the largest party after any election, so unless they recover a lot of seats, and not at the expense of FDP, they'll in the same position.

This is correct, according to my Frankfurt-based cousin and her German husband.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“It is better not to govern than to govern badly.” - what an incredibly refreshing and honest approach. No 1bn pound bribes, no power-at-any-cost and no sneaky manouvers driven by self-serving desires. Days like today give me hope about politics.

So, my prediction is a re-election, CDU and a rebooted SDP coalition to govern and more of the good times we had for the past 12 years. Oh, and Germany to win the World Cup.

How did I do? 6/10?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
“It is better not to govern than to govern badly.” - what an incredibly refreshing and honest approach. No 1bn pound bribes, no power-at-any-cost and no sneaky manouvers driven by self-serving desires. Days like today give me hope about politics.

So, my prediction is a re-election, CDU and a rebooted SDP coalition to govern and more of the good times we had for the past 12 years. Oh, and Germany to win the World Cup.

How did I do? 6/10?

article-1335351-027E0CAC000005DC-97_233x350.jpg

:D

larus

How did I do? 6/10?

So, it’s NOTHING to do with the fact the they couldn’t agree nothing. If this was the UK, you’d be saying how pathetic it is that they can’t sort out a coalition, but when it’s in Germany it’s suddenly inspiring (because it suits you to portray there as the Land Of Milk And Honey and the UK as a basket-case).

A bit more humility and acceptance that (as per usual :lol:), your understanding of events is wrong would maybe be sensible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If this was the UK, you’d be saying how pathetic it is that they can’t sort out a coalition, but when it’s in Germany it’s suddenly inspiring (because it suits you to portray there as the Land Of Milk And Honey and the UK as a basket-case).

Are you suggesting I’m biased?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

How did I do? 6/10?

Be interesting to see what really does happen but your record for political predictions isn't particularly great ** cough, 7 points ** :p

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Germany in stalemate and another election. This is bad news for Britain and Brexit, couldn't have happened at a worse time

larus

So it’s bad for Brexit if Germany has strong Government and its bad for Brexit it Germany has weak Government. Like a few others on here you continue to sound like the propaganda section of the Remain campaign.

Yeah, let’s see the panic of the EU lovers when they see what happens when the Italians need to go back and get the markets buying their debt. With the ECB reducing QE (quote an odd activity for such a booming economic area surely), and Italy has a lot of debt which matures (and hence needs to be rolled over) plus funding the of-coming fiscal deficit.

But no, it’s the UK which is screwed. I do wonder a the political/economic understanding of many who post on these threads.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So it’s bad for Brexit if Germany has strong Government and its bad for Brexit it Germany has weak Government. Like a few others on here you continue to sound like the propaganda section of the Remain campaign.

Merkel was actually a useful ally for TB, though you won't read that in any of the xenophobic end of the media.

It just makes our Brexit timerable harder and harder. Any MPs on the fence with regard to enshrining the Brexit date into law would do be wise to think again what is best for the country.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Merkel was actually a useful ally for TB, though you won't read that in any of the xenophobic end of the media.

It just makes our Brexit timerable harder and harder. Any MPs on the fence with regard to enshrining the Brexit date into law would do be wise to think again what is best for the country.

I don’t understand your logic. Sounds like a collection of unsubstantiated statements and I am struggling to use them to come to your conclusion.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

How exactly does Merkel being an ally of TM manifest itself, which part of Brexit was Merkel going to endorse that makes her this supposed ally, as I cannot recall you admitting any part of Brexit where Merkel might agree to.

I wouldnt worry about UK's Brexit that's a done deal, you seem to be overlooking the weakening or even the crumbling of your beloved project over on the continent.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How exactly does Merkel being an ally of TM manifest itself, which part of Brexit was Merkel going to endorse that makes her this supposed ally, as I cannot recall you admitting any part of Brexit where Merkel might agree to.

I wouldnt worry about UK's Brexit that's a done deal, you seem to be overlooking the weakening or even the crumbling of your beloved project over on the continent.

Yeah they're doing terribly at the moment, while we power ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here