Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strong and Stable - Congratulations to Angela Merkel on a 4th term

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Actually we should want Merkel to stay
Whether you agree with Brexit or not, she’s a friend in the EU and not looking to punish us in negotiations
Her potential coalition partners want to punish us however...

I understand you point, but I disagree, Merkel’s demise will throw the EU into chaos because of the power and influence she has long wielded notwithstanding the overall nature of Germany being the most important of all EU member states.

Her replacements are likely to be more pro EU and with Macron in charge of France I’m sure they would seek to advance EU consolidation etc. They would also, to your point, punish the U.K.

This is GOOD in my view because it would neatly demonstrate the vindictiveness of the EU leadership to the U.K. electorate and therefore poison the cause of the remain politicians here. EU consolidation will also be problematic as the cause of the EU is faltering with unease amongst the electorates in many member states. That situation is not going to change soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
about as funny as your 'Well done' after four months of shambolic horse-trading in darkened rooms trying to patch up a dodgy coalition government.

Unless you have also been in a darkened room, you’ll know that these two have been running the show for the past 4 years. And the nation has done pretty well in that time. They key things which directly impact the public like education, health, transport and the economy are running at levels you can only dream of. They even delivered the World Cup in this period as well. Or do you believe the Tories are doing better in these 5 areas?

[MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION]...my marks please.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
no , this is an ENGLISH football site ...........why would i give a pickled onion about GERMAN politics.......i honestly don't...!!

Prove it by stopping reading and replying to my posts then.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Unless you have also been in a darkened room, you’ll know that these two have been running the show for the past 4 years. And the nation has done pretty well in that time. They key things which directly impact the public like education, health, transport and the economy are running at levels you can only dream of. They even delivered the World Cup in this period as well. Or do you believe the Tories are doing better in these 5 areas?

[MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION]...my marks please.

So why have they taken FOUR MONTHS to sort our a NEW DEAL ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Maybe if there was a need to rush they would have? Why run when you can walk?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unlike you to dodge an awkward question :laugh:

I genuinely don’t know why they took a leisurely 4 months. As I said, there wasn’t any need to rush so maybe they didn’t. There was Christmas in the way and also ski holidays play havoc with your schedule at this time of the year.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

They haven't. Merkel tried to sort out a deal with the FDP and Die Grünen - the so-called Jamaica coalition. The reason is that the SDP didn't want to enter another coalition with the CDU as it was costing them votes.

The Jamaica coalition, however, proved to be a bit of a problem. There was little common ground between them and even Merke's own partners, the CSU, were not playing ball. Talks collapsed and, eventually, SDP agreed to enter into coalition talks. So it's taken a few weeks rather than several months.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Indeed... so it's the second best option as far as Mutty Merkel is concerned?

You have to wonder just how far she has had to bend over to get the SDP on board for a coalition that nobody seemed to want?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed... so it's the second best option as far as Mutty Merkel is concerned?

You have to wonder just how far she has had to bend over to get the SDP on board for a coalition that nobody seemed to want?

A coalition that no one wanted? What coalition did they want then?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here