Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poor old MASSIVE

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wednesday fan on 6-0-6. "Wednesday are a MASSIVE club and deserve to be in the Premier League" :lolol:

How do we become a massive club who deserve to be in the Premier League?

Getting there obviously doesn't count. I really want to feel that sense of entitlement as I watch my team. I think it is missing from my football watching experience.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I can only think that the 2014 takeover by wealthy Chansiri, gave them hope of an Abramovich/Sheikh Mansour like watershed.

There's a few clubs like this, to be fair. Nottingham Forest got bought by that Kuwaiti fridge magnate (ahem), and thought they were on the way back. Fail. Likewise, Cardiff hoped the Malaysians would be the start of big things: fail (they're doing alright this season, but in spite of, rather than because of, Vincent Tan).

Billionaire foreign owners aren't always all they're cracked up to be. It depends how much money they're actually prepared to throw at it. Evidently Wolves' new owners are going for the "shit or bust" approach.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
4110DFA5-D1B5-480C-9505-6E76DFB2B576.jpeg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'd been saying for a while that their big spending would bite them on the arse sooner rather than later and it appears that it's happening.

Speaking to a Wednesday [emoji23] STH last week and he said that the Chairman can't put any more money in for wages/signings because of FFP. Instead they are trying to maximise revenue with a variety of schemes to rip off the fans. E.g.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/owls-launch-club-1867-membership/

It's rather funny.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'd been saying for a while that their big spending would bite them on the arse sooner rather than later and it appears that it's happening.

Speaking to a Wednesday [emoji23] STH last week and he said that the Chairman can't put any more money in for wages/signings because of FFP. Instead they are trying to maximise revenue with a variety of schemes to rip off the fans. E.g.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/owls-launch-club-1867-membership/

It's rather funny.

I notice it’s free season tickets “when” they reach the PL not “if”!!

I would think that this is sailing quite close to the wind on FFP as they are effectively borrowing from fans secured against future season tickets.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm sure I heard them singing their "we're on our way back" song last year?
and the year before that
and the year before that
and the year before that
and the year before that
and the year before that
and the year before that

I don't remember being overtaken by the Blades was part of their massive plans

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There's a few clubs like this, to be fair. Nottingham Forest got bought by that Kuwaiti fridge magnate (ahem), and thought they were on the way back. Fail. Likewise, Cardiff hoped the Malaysians would be the start of big things: fail (they're doing alright this season, but in spite of, rather than because of, Vincent Tan).

Billionaire foreign owners aren't always all they're cracked up to be. It depends how much money they're actually prepared to throw at it. Evidently Wolves' new owners are going for the "shit or bust" approach.

I certainly agree re Cardiff, the one reason why they have had such a good start, is solely down to Neil Warnock's coaching methods, getting the very best out of what were, (or so l thought), very average players, nothing to do with Vincent Tan and his associates at all. I can't admit to liking Warnock and his managerial style, but it definately works.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I certainly agree re Cardiff, the one reason why they have had such a good start, is solely down to Neil Warnock's coaching methods, getting the very best out of what were, (or so l thought), very average players, nothing to do with Vincent Tan and his associates at all. I can't admit to liking Warnock and his managerial style, but it definately works.

Probably how the big Premier League clubs see us. Getting the best out of average players. Certainly works better than having XI superstars who do not play as a team

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

I confess, I rather like Warnock. Yes, he's a blustering old so and so, and yes, his teams are frequently dreadful to watch, but when it comes to getting the absolute best out of limited players, he's up there with the best. He's a proper football man, and a character (I do appreciate that plenty of people find the "character" side of it to be the very thing that pisses them off about him).

Think on this though: Warnock is a born & bred Blade with a lifelong loathing of Sheffield Wednesday and is never shy of telling people (he's previously used the popular local term "piggies" to describe them :lol:). If you were a Sheffield United fan, you'd love him for all eternity, for that alone, wouldn't you?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I confess, I rather like Warnock. Yes, he's a blustering old so and so, and yes, his teams are frequently dreadful to watch, but when it comes to getting the absolute best out of limited players, he's up there with the best. He's a proper football man, and a character (I do appreciate that plenty of people find the "character" side of it to be the very thing that pisses them off about him).

Think on this though: Warnock is a born & bred Blade with a lifelong loathing of Sheffield Wednesday and is never shy of telling people (he's previously used the popular local term "piggies" to describe them :lol:). If you were a Sheffield United fan, you'd love him for all eternity, for that alone, wouldn't you?

Indeed l would. I suppose the same could be said for Micky Adams, another old Blade, who has been fortunate enough to manage his home town club. Come to think about it, maybe their managerial styles aren't very different either.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I notice it’s free season tickets “when” they reach the PL not “if”!!

I would think that this is sailing quite close to the wind on FFP as they are effectively borrowing from fans secured against future season tickets.
Exactly. As the Wednesday [emoji23] fan said to me, you could well be paying for nothing. "Well, you do get a plaque" I replied.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I can only think that the 2014 takeover by wealthy Chansiri, gave them hope of an Abramovich/Sheikh Mansour like watershed.

Yeah it's 100% this. A lot of deluded fans I spoke to were adamant that when he took over he had a five year plan and was going to take them up.

I did point out to them that getting out of the Championship isn't as simple as that....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I seem to recall an interview with Warnock where he said that if he ever won the Euro Millions, he buy Sheffield Weds just to completely wreck them. I can't find it now - I do wonder whether I imagined it - but I'd love it to be true.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here