Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**The Official Match Thread: Brighton v Newcastle***

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All of our points have come from teams currently in the top half of the table.
A good sign.

They were all in the top 7 at the time

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm glad Shelvey didn't start, he looked their most dangerous player when he came on. Very talented passer of the ball. like a slaphead Jan Molby,

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
1-0
2-0
1-2 (fluke) Hardest game of the season (Geordie view)
1-0 Easiest away game of the season (Geordie view)

It's gonna be neck and neck all season. Not much to choose between the two teams.

I thought the Newcastle fans were a bit subdued, 350 minutes at the Amex w/o a goal does that!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Great result, for us, can't wait to watch the replay.
Turned in early and was going to get up for game, but one thing led to another.
However, we do tend to do better when I wake up to review the result rather than stay up for the game.
Finding our feet a bit now, though it must be said that Newcastle are newly promoted too.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Congrats on the win lads, you can't say you didn't graft for it.

I think but for a bad bit of defending we'd have earned a 0-0, and had our forward players not had an off day we would have earned a 1-1. Can't complain too much when our forwards didn't really test the home 'keeper. Joselu is not a great finisher, but adds a lot to our shape, more so than either Gayle or Mitrovic, that said he's got to start putting away some of the opportunities he carves out.

Ritchie was very poor by his standards, as was Atsu.

Thought your boys were up for it from the off and Knockaert in particular looked eager to put on a show for the cameras.

Why do you lot dislike Shelvey so much, don't get me wrong, he's clearly an ********, but I was surprised to see him booed onto the pitch and his touches jeered. Not put out by it, just curious.

Ironically we'll have easier games than you this season, because we'll face teams not as well drilled at set pieces and/or defensively as a chris Hughton side, and it's unlikely we'll face a team that comes into the game against us as the underdog.

Good luck for the season lads.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I think but for a bad bit of defending we'd have earned a 0-0, and had our forward players not had an off day we would have earned a 1-1. Can't complain too much when our forwards didn't really test the home 'keeper. Joselu is not a great finisher, but adds a lot to our shape, more so than either Gayle or Mitrovic, that said he's got to start putting away some of the opportunities he carves out.

Thought your boys were up for it from the off and Knockaert in particular looked eager to put on a show for the cameras.

Why do you lot dislike Shelvey so much, don't get me wrong, he's clearly an ********, but I was surprised to see him booed onto the pitch and his touches jeered. Not put out by it, just curious.

Ironically we'll have easier games than you this season, because we'll face teams not as well drilled at set pieces and/or defensively as a chris Hughton side, and it's unlikely we'll face a team that comes into the game against us as the underdog.

Fair play fella, all reasonable points. Re Shelvey, partly because as you say he's an *******, but we're also still a bit sore after the way he celebrated last season in front of us after the winner at the Amex. Atsu's crossing was just awful - think his first 6 crosses hit the first man...................

Good luck to your lot too - hope we both stay up

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

C5yXKCdWQAAT5O6.jpg

I thought Atsu and Ritchie were quite good compared to Newcastle players over the last four games.

Joselu miss wasn't a bad as it looked live. He should have got it on target though and then Ryan might have let it slip through his fingers?

I've been waiting for the far post Dale Stephens header since the game at Boro two seasons ago.

Last edited:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Fair play fella, all reasonable points. Re Shelvey, partly because as you say he's an *******, but we're also still a bit sore after the way he celebrated last season in front of us after the winner at the Amex. Atsu's crossing was just awful - think his first 6 crosses hit the first man...................

Good luck to your lot too - hope we both stay up

Aye Atsu's a bit of a Match of the Day player. When he's good, he's very good, but when he's bad he's Stephen Glass. (one for the kids there)

View attachment 89686

I thought Atsu and Ritchie were quite good compared to Newcastle players over the last four games.

Joselu miss wasn't a bad as it looked live. He should have got it on target though and then Ryan might have let it slip through his fingers?

I've been waiting for the far post Dale Stephens header since the game at Boro two seasons ago.

Re: Shelvey, makes sense. It's so frustrating because much of the rest of the team are good lads, who work hard and carry themselves well. Shelvey's just a bellend. Wish we could transpose his ability on the ball to someone like Hayden. Even Mitrovic, although a psychopath, isn't particularly snidey. If he goes through someone or elbows them or something, it's because he's a madhead who's got a little over excited. With Shelvey, he'd cut up a Granny to park in her disabled spot if it meant he got his Nandos a bit quicker.

Before yesterday Ritchie has been performing very well, but all too often he chose the wrong ball, overhit the pass or didn't take up the right positions.

Merino can have my first born mind. What a little cracker that lad is. £6m to make the deal permanent after 20 games, and I'd pay that up front now if I were Mike Ashley, because his value will only go up and up if we don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here