Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone ELSE at the LEVEL for JC rally ?

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
Well, we can thank New Labour for that f*ck up then can’t we. (Well, that has as much credence as you blaming the Tories for trying to sort the mess out).

Nearly all of the western world is still trying to recover from the financial crash. Look at the EU, still engaged in QE. The worlds financiual system is far from being in a good shape, yet pathetic left wing “lets spend someone else’s money and get into more debt” don’t realise how precarious things still are. Interest rates should be at a much higher level for where we are in the economic cycle, because when the next crisis hits, there is no ammunution left for western central banks. They can’t cut interest rates any lower and their balance sheets are overstretched already. But still, lets all bleat on about austerity. You want to see austerity, look at Greece.

“Look at Greece”. You are aware our economy is actually growing slower than Greece’s now, right?

And if the poor little banks are in trouble, I’d suggest they review the size of the bonuses that give their bosses. Might save them a few quid.

As for spending other people’s money, the Tories are borrowing more now than any previous government. This is after nearly a decade of austerity. The plan hasn’t worked.
I’m not sure JC is the answer, but he provides something different to the current regime.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
He was outside my house (Lancing) yesterday afternoon.

Bizarre.

larus

“Look at Greece”. You are aware our economy is actually growing slower than Greece’s now, right?

And if the poor little banks are in trouble, I’d suggest they review the size of the bonuses that give their bosses. Might save them a few quid.

As for spending other people’s money, the Tories are borrowing more now than any previous government. This is after nearly a decade of austerity. The plan hasn’t worked.
I’m not sure JC is the answer, but he provides something different to the current regime.

I’m not defending the banks. The biggest problem with the banks is they can take risks with other peoples money, get paid huge bonuse if it goes well. If it goes tits up, they get bailed out with public money.

However, statistics can be used to paint a very biased view. Look at the facts, the coalition/tories inherited an economy with a very high level of annual deficit. As the economy is larger than it has been in the past (obviously, as economies are always growing - in theory anyway). So, it bloody obvious that in monetary terms a deficit is more in modern times than in the past (5% of a larger amount is more - get it?).

This shows the annual deficit in percentage terms.

0A311173-28E3-415C-B55C-B322704174B0.png

As you can see, it took a a few year to get things under control but now the annual deficit is much smaller. What astounds me is the lefties moan about the debt/deficit, then moan about austerity. Please tell me where the magic money tree is.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
What a great night at the level, I liked the bit where:

Corbyn said nothing about Europe
McDonnell said something else
Abbott was right up for it
Flint was against staying
Clive Lewis wanted it all
Chuka didn't want to leave
Starmer contradicted himself

Couldn't understand what it was all about,does labour have a coherent policy on Brexit?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, we can thank New Labour for that f*ck up then can’t we. (Well, that has as much credence as you blaming the Tories for trying to sort the mess out).

Nearly all of the western world is still trying to recover from the financial crash. Look at the EU, still engaged in QE. The worlds financiual system is far from being in a good shape, yet pathetic left wing “lets spend someone else’s money and get into more debt” don’t realise how precarious things still are. Interest rates should be at a much higher level for where we are in the economic cycle, because when the next crisis hits, there is no ammunution left for western central banks. They can’t cut interest rates any lower and their balance sheets are overstretched already. But still, lets all bleat on about austerity. You want to see austerity, look at Greece.

Oh yes, I forgot New Labour caused the world's financial crisis . Still a bit odd tough that the financial institutions who caused the( Labour instigated ) global recession were given more money to sort it out in the form of QE while the poorly paid, disabled,unemployed and public employees have to cope with the austerity.

Interestingly enough, even the loathsome Mrs May realised that the economy was " not working for the many " but for the privileged few and has said this several times, however the talk is meaningless as there is no way the Tory grandee's and corporate company donors will allow her to do anything significant to change anything. Strange that someone who wants to help the most vulnerable and change an unfair system is constantly pilloried for being a kind of anti Christ ? Maybe we should shift to a more feral " Grab what you can " economy, tough luck if you trained as a nurse or a teacher, go in to the private sector or quit moaning... would that suit you better ?

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
I’m not defending the banks. The biggest problem with the banks is they can take risks with other peoples money, get paid huge bonuse if it goes well. If it goes tits up, they get bailed out with public money.

However, statistics can be used to paint a very biased view. Look at the facts, the coalition/tories inherited an economy with a very high level of annual deficit. As the economy is larger than it has been in the past (obviously, as economies are always growing - in theory anyway). So, it bloody obvious that in monetary terms a deficit is more in modern times than in the past (5% of a larger amount is more - get it?).

View attachment 89657

As you can see, it took a a few year to get things under control but now the annual deficit is much smaller. What astounds me is the lefties moan about the debt/deficit, then moan about austerity. Please tell me where the magic money tree is.

If you look at your chart, do you see what was happening up until 2008? The deficit was coming down massively whilst still taking children out of poverty. The fact that the deficit increased so much was obviously out of control of the Labour government at the time.

It has been proven that austerity doesn't work which is why UK is performing so badly compared to other markets, yet still people think that it is great.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm keen to learn how he is going to fund all these grandiose give-aways proposed by the Labour Party.

OK so it may not be the whole story, it never is with any party, but they have told us many times.
Collecting unpaid taxes from companies and the super rich. Corporation tax going up and increasing taxes on the rich.
Borrowing will also be used for massive investment which should yield returns.
I can understand that people may think I am on the left because I have detested the Tories since Cameron, but I am not, but although I don't agree with some of their proposals, in the main they are talking my language and I like the straight(ish) talking.
It will all probably go tits up, they may self implode but we just cannot carry on with this totally hopeless, weak and nasty government, if you don't want Labour, don't slag off Labour they are doing what they do,blame the Tories for leaving the gate wide open.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
He just promises the earth and shows how easy it is to run the country when in opposition. Reality is another thing. My nephew voted for him because he believed not only would he give free university education but would return his £18000 loan.

And yet again, this morning they said they would or at least make it more affordable to those that really can't afford to do it.
Something is better than nothing, at least they are discussing it, but they did not treble it and raise the interest on it to 6%.
Even the Tory on Pesto this morning said its so wrong.

larus

If you look at your chart, do you see what was happening up until 2008? The deficit was coming down massively whilst still taking children out of poverty. The fact that the deficit increased so much was obviously out of control of the Labour government at the time.

It has been proven that austerity doesn't work which is why UK is performing so badly compared to other markets, yet still people think that it is great.

Let me tell you what was happening as it seems beyond you.

The country was at the end of an expansionary period where government tax receipts should have been in excess of expenditure, thereby reducing the national debt. I don't think you actually understand the chart. The chart is annual deficit, not total debt. So, even in the relative 'boom' years before the crisis, good old Labour were spending more then they were getting (and this does not take into account the 'off-the-balance-sheet' debts of PFI).

So what has happened since 2010 is that the annual deficit has been reducing, but as there is still a deficit, the total debt is increasing. It really isn't rocket science. And the left-wing idiots still want to plan lots of give-aways and this will be funded on these magical 'tax loop-holes' which every government promises to close.

Regarding how well we're doing. We're actually doing better than the EU as they are still running QE which is generating their growth. We've stopped here and are now planning interest rate rises, which, if you understood even rudimentary economics, you would realise is a good thing.

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing

View attachment 89657

Magic money tree [emoji23] funny how that got discovered when Thatcher 2.0 needed to cling on to power. If I was you I would retire that particular sound bite.

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
He just promises the earth and shows how easy it is to run the country when in opposition. Reality is another thing. My nephew voted for him because he believed not only would he give free university education but would return his £18000 loan.

Then your nephew is a bit foolish as returning the loan was never said by anybody. God knows where he got that from!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I was stewarding for the Labour Party. Got to speak briefly with man. Thanked him for finding an hour, earlier in the day, to go door knocking in Lancing for the bye election there.

He's speaking again tonight at Synergy if anyone's interested ( you need to buy a ticket for the World Transformed event).

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
And yet again, this morning they said they would or at least make it more affordable to those that really can't afford to do it.
Something is better than nothing, at least they are discussing it, but they did not treble it and raise the interest on it to 6%.
Even the Tory on Pesto this morning said its so wrong.

The 6% interest really kills people. You claim 9K for the first years tuition plus (most likely) a maintenance grant of 3K. You start playing 6% on your first instalment which I find staggering.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Magic money tree [emoji23] funny how that got discovered when Thatcher 2.0 needed to cling on to power. If I was you I would retire that particular sound bite.

They found a magic money branch, Corbyn needs a Magic Forest. If there was lots of magic money floating around the Tories would have given us all a tax cut bung at the last GE. I am sure Labour plans for big rises in Corperation tax just at the moment France is cutting their rates to draw away business from the Uk is a marvelous idea as is suddenly ending austerity. One major credit agency downgraded UK PLC credit rating just because the Tories are percieved to be loosening the policy slightly God knows what happens if it's suddeny abandoned.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here