Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FC Barcelona could be kicked out of the La Liga

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
It has firmly nailed its colours to the mast of the movement planning a referendum on the issue on 1 October - a referendum declared illegal by the central government in Madrid.

But its position has raised more pressing questions as the situation has become more heated, with militarised Civil Guard police dispatched to arrest pro-secessionist officials and seize referendum materials.

We will stay in the same league as Espanyol," said FC Barcelona's vice-president, Carles Villarubí, earlier this month in reference to the Catalan capital's second club, whose fans are considered to be pro-Spanish.

But Javier Tebas, the president of Spain's Professional Football League, which organises La Liga, struck back: "Barcelona cannot choose where it plays if there is an independence process in Catalonia."

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Won't happen in a million years. All hot air.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But Javier Tebas, the president of Spain's Professional Football League, which organises La Liga, struck back: "Barcelona cannot choose where it plays if there is an independence process in Catalonia."

no, but the Spain Profession Football League can, and probably will chose to admit the Catalan clubs.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As others have said, it simply won't happen.

Should Catalonia secede, I suspect other regions (especially the Basques) would look to do similar - wouldn't surprise me if, in due course, it basically ended up with teams from several independent regions all playing in one league structure.

Financially, it makes best sense for all concerned if they all stay in one league, and money talks.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
FC Barcelona have a long historical tradition of coming into conflict with the more repressive elements of the Spanish establishment going back to before the Spanish Civil war. Their ground was closed for six months in 1925 after their supporters jeered the Spanish national anthem. During the Spanish Civil War their club president was murdered by fascist soldiers. They were also forced to remove the Catalan flag from their crest. Before a cup game with Real Madrid in 1943 it was alleged that the Barcelona players were threatened by the Madrid police in the dressing room just before the game which Real Madrid won 11-1. Nothing was ever proven but something must have unsettled them because Barcelona had previously won the home leg 3-0. So this latest conflict is part of their historical tapestry.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The wider issue of independence seems very strange to me. How can it be right in a nation of nations like Spain that the people of these regions aren't allowed to vote on independence by the Spanish constitution?

You'd think by now they'd have come up with a broadly consensual model similar to the UK with constituent semi autonomous nations making up a kingdom or state.

As for FC Barcelona, they really would be better advised to steer well clear of politics. Even the old firm try and do that, and their followers are far more entrenched in their identities than Barcelona fans are.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
An opportunity for the biggest clubs in Europe to pull their first teams out of their own domestic leagues, ditch the EUFA's Champions League, and set up their own European Super League of say just 18 teams with matches played every Saturday/Sunday over a 36 week season excluding a winter break around Christmas and New Year and international dates. No more burn out for the top players and it would leave them fit and fresh for World Cups, European Championships etc.

European Super League Clubs could then just play squad and development players in domestic leagues and cup competions.

Just saying...............

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Yes but can you say for sure that they represent independence from Spain? I'm sure Cardiff and Swansea are fiercely and proudly Welsh but that isn't the same thing as being pro Welsh independence...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I can say that the majority of locals I come into contact with want independence. Many people only changing their minds to independence because of the referendum being ignore by the Spanish government.
The Catalans are very passionate people with good reason. The civil war wasn't too long ago and is still having some of the harsh truth which repressed Catalans coming to life in the media.
The general feeling here is that the Catalans will vote on October 1st, more than probably, vote out. But the Spanish government will override them.
Interesting times ahead!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If Catalonia goes for independence then the Basque region will follow. I suspect that the independence movement in Galicia would gain momentum. I never considered myself as anything other than English, but when pushed I class myself as half Galician rather than half Spanish. My mother always classes herself as Galician rather than Spanish.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here