Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you don't drink that much and go out with people who are borderline alcoholic....

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Realistically how much is too much ?...21 units is the recommended weekly max intake for men....So ten and a half pints....I have approx 12 pints(24units) and two bottles of wine(16 units) a week with at least two days alchohol free.
So whilst I am nearly double recommended intake don`t feel I`m anywhere near alchoholic !! am I ???
Similar to that most weeks, and always have 2/3 days off. I doubt if you're an alcoholic you can have a day without any, although I'm not sure what the definition is

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Love beer, it doesn't​ love me since I hit my Forties. As ridiculous as it might sound to some, I can get a banging hangover after just one pint, and the only way to avoid it is to stretch a single pint out over 1-2 hours! (I know!) and drink a pint or so of water at the same time.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Love beer, it doesn't​ love me since I hit my Forties. As ridiculous as it might sound to some, I can get a banging hangover after just one pint, and the only way to avoid it is to stretch a single pint out over 1-2 hours! (I know!)
More bizarre than that, I seem to have become allergic to beer. If I don't have one for a day or 2, the next beer will give me hay fever like symptoms. 25 years+ fine and now it starts. Tried turning to gin but not a massive fan so just grin and bear it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Me and Mrs Giraffe rarely drink. We are not tea total but we just don't like the next day feeling of being hungover and the waste of time of recovering.

But when you go out with people these days it seems it is very hard not to drink much without being a party pooper. We still have fun. We just don't feel the need to get totally slaughtered.
So you like a drink, and you don't even mind getting drunk, but you don't like being hungover. You should be able to get fairly merry so that you're not like a party pooper, and so you aren't irritated by the drunk people around you, whilst still not being hungover the next day. Just make sure you drink enough water along with your alcohol etc.

And surely if you can't come home and not drink of an evening that makes you an alcoholic?
If you can't not drink, then yes, that makes you an alcoholic. If however you drink every day because you want to, but you could go without if you needed to, then you're not. IMO.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm a weekend drinker, don't drink all week unless there's an occasion, which their rarely is cos I'm too knackered by the time I get home from work. I like the feeling of merry or drunk, always have. But whereas in my younger days I could drink every day, nowadays I feel rough after a night, maybe two, so age has slowed me down.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Realistically how much is too much ?...21 units is the recommended weekly max intake for men....So ten and a half pints....I have approx 12 pints(24units) and two bottles of wine(16 units) a week with at least two days alchohol free.
So whilst I am nearly double recommended intake don`t feel I`m anywhere near alchoholic !! am I ???

Can you contemplate not drinking for a day/week/month? If the answer is no, you probably have a problem.

Lush

Mods' Pet
What's interesting is the drinking culture around football - particularly noticeable at away games. The middle-aged guys with enormous beer bellies who stagger up the steps to their seats a few minutes before KO, having spent most of the previous few hours in the nearest (real ale) pub. I realise this is a bit 'judge-y' and each to their own, but it does seem somehow acceptable to combine a life that revolves around being some of the Albion's most loyal fans - home and away - with drinking enormous quantities of beer. Some look so bloated and unhealthy (you don't see many people in their 70s with beer bellies) that I can't believe that they're going to see many more seasons, which seems sad.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
We're the same. I only drink socially, the other half not at all. I'm lucky that my workmates never take the piss when we go out and they're all heavy drinkers. It wouldn't bother me anyway, I always just say no I'm good and they accept it. Sometimes when I go out locally I just stick to soft drinks, just don't feel the need to have a drink to have fun and if anyone has a problem with that I couldn't give a crap, that's their problem.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I haven't had a drop all year.
Couldn't face dealing with a new born when hungover.
I feel way better for it, my memory is much clearer and get more out of the gym. I'm in better shape than I've ever been.
Feckin boring, mind.
In a way I miss those days waking up in someones garden next to a railway station.
. Good times. Kinda.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I did not realise there was a law to be sensible and stop enjoying yourself when you hit 40?

No law and who said anything about stoping drinking at 40, enjoying yourself or as you allude to that the latter is dependent on alcohol?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've had my issues with drink over the years.
Gave up booze for 10 years and came back to it because I missed it.

I rarely drink excessively now, apart from when I'm out for a boozy one ( and everyone else is).
It is exceptionally boring being out with people who are wankered whilst you are just merry.
You have my sympathy.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I did not realise there was a law to be sensible and stop enjoying yourself when you hit 40?

As someone who is 43, this decade so far has been superb. My 30s, certainly the later part, was kids. Nappys, Nusery fees, Teething, and the Kids awake at 06.00. It was rewarding but it wasn't enjoyable.

Now they are older it's better all round. They are killing each other on epic battle simulator and I'm sat in the garden with a beer proding a fire in the chimnea whilst the wife watches strictly. Thus far, the 40s has been ace. I subscribe to the it gets better as you get older.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
More bizarre than that, I seem to have become allergic to beer. If I don't have one for a day or 2, the next beer will give me hay fever like symptoms. 25 years+ fine and now it starts. Tried turning to gin but not a massive fan so just grin and bear it.

I have the same thing but it's not bad enough to stop me drinking beer. Reading that someone else gets these symptoms prompted me to google it. Apparently beer is high in histamine, the chemical that warns the body about potential allergens. Sneezing and congestion is a defence mechanism. Bloody annoying.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Me and Mrs Giraffe rarely drink. We are not tea total but we just don't like the next day feeling of being hungover and the waste of time of recovering.

But when you go out with people these days it seems it is very hard not to drink much without being a party pooper. We still have fun. We just don't feel the need to get totally slaughtered. I find it hard to identify with people that drink so much. Are we alone?

And surely if you can't come home and not drink of an evening that makes you an alcoholic?

No you're not. I feel exactly the same.
If I stick to one particular drink, usually ale, I seem to be able to drink quite a lot and be ok, but as soon I know I have had enough I stop or go home, I also drink slowly if we are out all night.
What I can't do is mix ale and wine and if I add spirit to the mix then I am in trouble.
I hate the feeling of being drunk and the hangover is just awful, not to mention the fact that if I go out with 6 others and stay out until stupid o clock, including 3am breakfast I can do over £100, a waste of money.
Trouble is my mates seem to think the purpose of going out is to get smashed, like so many people seem to these days.
So I stick to ale, drink slowly and I am ok.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I only ever drink when I go to the Amex and with the queues I'm lucky if I get one pint! Can't stand alcohol without going to football and how rare that is (only home games and Arsenal away next week). I drank heavily when I was in my twenties and that led to cocaine (paranoia and remorse after) and ecstasy (bloody dangerous to get dehydrated when pissed).

My vice is gambling. The heart is pumping when I'm hanging on a correct score with ten minutes to go and the euphoria I get when I win is better than booze or drugs. There's no hangover or comedown although it is horrible when it goes wrong in the last minute.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I drank heavily in my 40s only to find in much later life (I am now 62) that is has far more unpleasant side effects than a hangover the next day. Of course I did not realise all these at the time, I just thought it was a liver thing.
Drinking can become a habit and then you need more. Great to be able to go out and drink 10 pints perhaps.... certainly at the time, but watch out later.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I have the same thing but it's not bad enough to stop me drinking beer. Reading that someone else gets these symptoms prompted me to google it. Apparently beer is high in histamine, the chemical that warns the body about potential allergens. Sneezing and congestion is a defence mechanism. Bloody annoying.

interesting, that's one of the reasons I stopped drinking Guinness .... sadly

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I gave up 6 months ago and am loving it. Haven't cut back on the social life at all, if anything I'm doing more now because I can.

I find its about other people's motivations. If their primary focus is getting blotto, avoid. Really drunk people are so boring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here