Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The definition of "loyalty"

What's your view on what constitutes "loyalty"?

• Actual attendance at matches to cheer the team

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • Financial support by way of buying match tickets

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There has been much debate and significant controversy of late regarding the club's Loyalty Points scheme.

So, how do you think loyalty should be measured?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Loyalty is a a fan who sticks with the club through thick and thin. Emptying his wallet for the club is not part of it imo.

Not sure there is a better way of allocating tickets at 21st Century Albion though.

I am sure there are plenty of loyal Albion fans who just cannot afford to go any more but if we slip back down the divisions and prices drop dramatically ( which they would have to) it is these fans the club will see through back the turnstiles as 16k currently loyal fans disappear. Imo of course.

I may have missed the point of the thread though.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Loyalty is a a fan who sticks with the club through thick and thin. Emptying his wallet for the club is not part of it imo.

Not sure there is a better way of allocating tickets at 21st Century Albion though.

I am sure there are plenty of loyal Albion fans who just cannot afford to go any more but if we slip back down the divisions and prices drop dramatically ( which they would have to) it is these fans the club will see through back the turnstiles as 16k as fans disappear. Imo of course.

I admire your confidence that fans will return but I am not totally convinced they will this time. I know we had the massive upsurge in returning fans after Withdean, but I think the fans you speak off will become disenchanted and move onto over things - besides which you only base those that can't go on cost. What about others who are governed by distance or home situations which don't allow them to attend, but might if there was a possibility of getting a ticket occasionally.

I keep saying it, scrap the loyalty scheme, its only a money making exercise anyway, and give STHs first dibs on tickets then open the rest to ALL fans.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The points need to be renamed.

Calling them loyalty points was a bit of an own goal as the club shouldn't presume a fan's loyalty to it.

Seagulls Points would be an alternative.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I admire your confidence that fans will return but I am not totally convinced they will this time. I know we had the massive upsurge in returning fans after Withdean, but I think the fans you speak off will become disenchanted and move onto over things - besides which you only base those that can't go on cost. What about others who are governed by distance or home situations which don't allow them to attend, but might if there was a possibility of getting a ticket occasionally.

I keep saying it, scrap the loyalty scheme, its only a money making exercise anyway, and give STHs first dibs on tickets then open the rest to ALL fans.

Rightly or wrongly I base my thoughts on believing that we have about 6k die hard fans. I imagine we have added a couple of thousand more over the last few years but the vast majority of the current STHs would disappear if we slipped back down the leagues. What will be interesting is how many renew their Season Tickets next year should we survive in this division playing the turgid football on offer so far. It is far from pretty but if it's effective will fans who have only seen an entertaining Albion over the last few seasons hang around ?

I remember how the fans drifted away the last time we made the top flight and struggled, have times changed that much? Prices certainly have.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I've been to every away game bar about three (including tin pot cups) for about the last ten years. Why should I miss out this season because someone who has never been to an away game fancies going to Old Trafford?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Loyalty is sticking with the club regardless, those who travelled to Gillingham deserve elite loyalty status, they should be garunteed a ticket to any match providing payment is received at least 48 hours before a game. I was not one of these supporters.

if it wasn't for these supporters who did show what true loyalty is we wouldn't have a club.

This message board was full of supporters 7/8 years ago claiming to be fans but they stated regularly "I refuse to buy a ticket at Withdean but I'll buy one once we get to Falmer" these fans are not loyal but merely joining us on the highs but will probably move on once the inevitable lows work their way back round to us.

Loyalty points should be awarded based on your support for the club and that means if someone goes to Newcastle on a cold night they fully deserve those loyalty points and when we play at Anfield they should get first refusal on those tickets.

I'm of an age where travelling across the country every other weekend is achievable due to having young children, therefore I don't accumulate lots of extra loyalty points and I cannot complain if I don't get to go to Wembley.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I've been to every away game bar about three (including tin pot cups) for about the last ten years. Why should I miss out this season because someone who has never been to an away game fancies going to Old Trafford?

Why would you miss out, you would have as much chance as everyone to get a ticket?

I make the assumption you are not a STH, or you would have not made your point, which I find strange that you can go to all the away games, but don't hold a ST for home matches? I am sure there is a good reason, so my apologies in advance.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The definition of "loyalty"

Loyalty is sticking with the club regardless, those who travelled to Gillingham deserve elite loyalty status, they should be garunteed a ticket to any match providing payment is received at least 48 hours before a game. I was not one of these supporters.

if it wasn't for these supporters who did show what true loyalty is we wouldn't have a club.

That was a long time ago and I'm not sure even then that I had any way of proving I went. There was no necessity to buy for any game in advance back then!

The only thing I don't like about the current system is that it completely excludes non-season ticket holders. I'm not sure how it could be fairer, but there is an incentive now to purchase and not attend in order to maintain position.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Strange poll. How do you achieve actual attendance, without the financial support of buying a ticket?
Don't say buying from a friend or tout.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Why do you get loyalty points for buying a ticket but not for buying pies, pints, merchandise etc ?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

This message board was full of supporters 7/8 years ago claiming to be fans but they stated regularly "I refuse to buy a ticket at Withdean but I'll buy one once we get to Falmer" these fans are not loyal but merely joining us on the highs but will probably move on once the inevitable lows work their way back round to us.

Loyalty points should be awarded based on your support for the club and that means if someone goes to Newcastle on a cold night they fully deserve those loyalty points and when we play at Anfield they should get first refusal on those tickets.

I'm of an age where travelling across the country every other weekend is achievable due to having young children, therefore I don't accumulate lots of extra loyalty points and I cannot complain if I don't get to go to Wembley.

I was a regular at Gillingham, can I claim my elite status! Oh, did I forget to mention I only live 8 miles from Priestfield... :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I am sure there are plenty of loyal Albion fans who just cannot afford to go any more but if we slip back down the divisions and prices drop dramatically ( which they would have to) it is these fans the club will see through back the turnstiles as 16k currently loyal fans disappear. Imo of course.

Excellent post, in a nutshell :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why would you miss out, you would have as much chance as everyone to get a ticket?

[MENTION=33649]darkwolf666[/MENTION] If the loyalty scheme were scrapped (as you advocate) then the probability of [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] missing out on tickets to Old Trafford would be massively increased. He is clearly a season ticket holder otherwise the question wouldn't arise as he wouldn't get tickets anyway. His question is valid. Why should he miss out to someone who has a season ticket, never bothered going away before and gets lucky in a 23000 ticket lottery.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Loyalty to me is living 200 miles from Brighton and going as often as finances and ticket availability allows, watching or listening to every match I can't attend and bringing up my three children as staunch Albion supporters. I'll get a ticket where I can, I don't begrudge those in front of me in the pecking order, but I'm just as loyal to our club as anyone.

That's my person definition, and I'm sure there are thousands with similar stories.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think that "loyalty" is impossible to define. From countless "but what about my circumstances, which are ..." posts on here over many years, loyalty is quite often promoted as "someone who has my circumstances", thus giving rise to hundreds, if not thousands of different definitions.

For this reason, I agree with the suggestion to rename the points to something less emotive; just about anything would be less emotive than "loyalty".

The club have devised a scheme that has logic and some degree of fairness; personally, I don't think it's fundamentally flawed in principle, it just needs some tweaking to ensure it works the way it's intended to. Given what I've said earlier about the definition of loyalty, it's inevitable that some fans will feel that the scheme is fatally flawed. Change it radically, and all you do is satisfy one group of fans at the expense of a whole different group. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Rightly or wrongly I base my thoughts on believing that we have about 6k die hard fans. I imagine we have added a couple of thousand more over the last few years but the vast majority of the current STHs would disappear if we slipped back down the leagues. What will be interesting is how many renew their Season Tickets next year should we survive in this division playing the turgid football on offer so far. It is far from pretty but if it's effective will fans who have only seen an entertaining Albion over the last few seasons hang around ?

I remember how the fans drifted away the last time we made the top flight and struggled, have times changed that much? Prices certainly have.

That is total bollocks.

As is this thread.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here