Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody been to Budapest?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's a bit disturbing, my missus and I go to a different European city each year - last two have been Berlin and Budapest, both great - and this year we are going to Tallinn!

I am sure it will be fine McTavish. I heard that they were good for a cheap stag Do's but that there wasn't much to see there. I have no experience of these states

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's a bit disturbing, my missus and I go to a different European city each year - last two have been Berlin and Budapest, both great - and this year we are going to Tallinn!

Tallinn's lovely - one of the most beautiful city's I've been to. And some incredibly friendly people too (although I was there 18 years ago before the stags and hens started arriving, it may be different now)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you are in Budapest for several days its worth a trip down to Lake Balaton any of the resorts are great and easy to get to on the train, got absolutely wasted on quality white wine for less than £5. I love Budapest been a few years now but started going out there for the Grand Prix via the Becketts Irish Pub coach trips wonderful days.

I'd agree with this. The train was ridiculously cheap, too.

We did the far end of the lake - Keszthely and beyond to Heviz on the bus. Keszthely in particular was a lovely place.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Whatever you do, if the trip clashes with an Albion game please please start a new thread asking if there are any bars in Budapest withTV’s that might show sport. This is very very important.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If you going for an extended weekend try and find a trip to a ranch you see a bit of the old traditions including Cowboys can't remeber the town we went to but there is more to see than just the city.
Try the very old baths over the old bridge watch out for the beggars on the bridge.
Loved Budapest.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
If you like clubbing, the outdoor ones are marvellous, and a lot of the ones under a roof play really good techno/electro in big industrial buildings. Triffic experience.

The spas are grand but perhaps don't expect them to relax you if you are trying them to recuperate - they affect your muscles and you will definitely sleep well afterwards.

If you find you have a spare day (or even three-quarter day), you can get a train and back to Vienna for naff all. Beautiful journey - good for sleeping off hangovers.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Budapest advice

Apologies for this as i always get a bit tired of these threads, but needs must...

I'm going to Budapest next May with Mrs Junior for a wedding (not ours). I will have just finished 6 months training for my new career and I'd like to make the trip something special.

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel? I'd really like to have gone 5* but having seen the prices I'm not sure if that's do'able, so we may need to drop to 4*. I had found a really nice hotel called the Boscolo Budapest, but it's €170 per night without brekkie.

I've looked online for hotels but there are hundreds and i really don't want to make a mistake booking a shite one, so a recommendation off here would be helpful.

Also any general advice for Budapest? This to do, things to avoid? Is there any McDonalds out there, because i can't stand Gulash and someone told me that's all they eat?

Cheers

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you don't like gulash then give goulash a try.
They are similar but goulash has more in it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apologies for this as i always get a bit tired of these threads, but needs must...

I'm going to Budapest next May with Mrs Junior for a wedding (not ours). I will have just finished 6 months training for my new career and I'd like to make the trip something special.

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel? I'd really like to have gone 5* but having seen the prices I'm not sure if that's do'able, so we may need to drop to 4*. I had found a really nice hotel called the Boscolo Budapest, but it's €170 per night without brekkie.

I've looked online for hotels but there are hundreds and i really don't want to make a mistake booking a shite one, so a recommendation off here would be helpful.

Also any general advice for Budapest? This to do, things to avoid? Is there any McDonalds out there, because i can't stand Gulash and someone told me that's all they eat?

Cheers

There was a thread on Budapest about 4 days ago

All merged together now.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Gellert Baths are fantastic. Loads of very old & wrinkly penises flopping around if that's your thing, or alternatively just enjoy the stunning architecture whilst wallowing in natural pools of varying temperatures. We went there very very hungover and came out feeling like new men. A storm broke whilst we were in the outside natural spring bit, and to be sat in this warm spring with all hell raging around us in the sky was wonderful.

Other than that be ready to eat your weight in nondescript (but delicious) carbs at every meal.

Egeshegedre!

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I would have to advocate for the Szechenyi baths, two open air baths (one heated) then various different thermal pools inside the complex, including ice baths in the basement underneath, as well as Saunas and steam chambers. Been there twice and both times have been great.

If you are relatively fit then definitely try and climb the large hill on the Buda side of the city, it's a long climb but the views are staggering.

Also beer and burger on Wesselenyi street is worth going to for food.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Cheers

I put a link to a boutique B&B on the first page (Kapital Inn). I can't recommend it more. I don't really do posh hotels, so haven't tried any. I doubt you'll be disappointed unless you would normally spend time in the hotel pool / spa / bar when on holiday. In Budapest, you just need to get out!

Can't say I've ever noticed a McDonalds, but there's bound to be one. I'd just try out any restaurant, though. Like in the real Spain, it's difficult to find a poor one and they are generally very cheap.

Lots of places have been recommended already and there's no duds amongst them. I'd just add that Heroes Square is worth a visit, as is the park it's on the edge of. I think the funfair is shut (was last time I went), which is a shame.

There's a very poignant Jewish "monument" just along the Danube form the parliament building that's worth walking along to as well. Oh, and say hello to Ronnie!
f32285d19d8cef16b6ea62d5575b0c77.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you want to go a little upmarket, give Gundel a spin. It's probably the best known restaurant in Budapest, home to the famous Gundel pancake. It's pricier than the average eating place but it's in a great setting. If not, there are some McDs in Budapest too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here