Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber to lose license in London today ?

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
I’m glad it’s all over for Uber in London – and I work for them http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ndon-–-and-i-work-for-them/ar-AAsn4AF?ocid=sf I’ve been an Uber driver for five years, so you’d expect me to be furious that Transport for London wants to stop the company operating in the capital. Not a bit of it.
I could not be happier with TFL’s ruling that Uber is not a “fit and proper” private car hire operator.
In the long run, drivers like me can only benefit. Yes, we’ll have to find other work, but the best of us won’t find that too hard as rival firms pick up the slack. Many of us have worked for minicab companies in the past, or still do shifts for them alongside work for Uber.
Uber’s model is perfect for customers, who have the convenience of being able to use an app to order a cab while still at home or sitting in a restaurant. Journeys are so cheap that if you’re travelling as a group you’ll sometimes save money by taking an Uber rather than a bus. What customers don’t understand is that we drivers have to work extremely long hours just to cover our overheads – which can lead to accidents as we become fatigued. Because we are self-employed, we don’t get holiday or sick pay. Every hour that we are off the road, we are not making money.
I enjoyed Uber’s early years, not least because I could work the hours I wanted. This was not possible with local minicab firms. And at first you could make a good living. But then Uber slashed prices to attract customers, and began recruiting on a massive scale to keep up with demand. Not only did we end up with more drivers working longer hours, for worse pay, but some of those drivers should never have been behind the wheel.
Just a month ago, the Metropolitan police accused Uber of failing to report sexual assaults by its drivers. As for the level of English … I have gone to Uber’s offices a few times and seen drivers signing up to work with translators beside them.
Uber’s strategy was always to dominate the London market by undercutting competitors, such as black cabs, Addison Lee and smaller local operators. Its overheads were low, as it was not paying VAT in the UK, and did not have a call centre. Backers including Goldman Sachs, BlackRock and other multibillion-dollar companies were happy for it to lose money in the short term, knowing that once it had crushed the competition it would be able to jack up its prices. After all, where else could customers turn?
That plan is now in tatters, unless Uber manages to overturn TfL’s decision.
Advertisement

I know there will be a backlash from customers who love Uber, but if they knew the truth about it they would think otherwise. How can you, as a customer, justify those expensive drinks you had in the bar but not be willing to pay a little extra to get home in the safety of a minicab or black cab?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My bro in law will be a happy man tonight as he is a London cabby.
I felt a bit sorry for the cabbies because they have to do the knowledge which is tough.
On the other hand I wind him up by saying there should be lots more black cabs, try getting one in London at 3am and asking him/her to go somewhere that is not on his/ hers way home or just somewhere they don't want to go.
Try getting a cab at Heathrow and asking to go up the road to somewhere like Northolt (I have)
London should be like New York, thousands of them 24/7 but with the knowledge that a) they know where they are going and b) they speak English, unlike New York.
Good riddance UBER but there drivers should be offered an incentive to do the knowledge and become black cab drivers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thing is with sat nav the Knowledge is largely redundant. there is value to Black cab, but they've won few friends with their selective availablity. a compromise might be having Black cabs only in zone 1, beyond that where they fear to tread its open to others.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
TfL tell Uber to do one again.

Uber appealing again.

And so it goes on...

Unfortunately for Uber there are alternatives.

I had to do a quick DIY job on Sunday and didn't have the tools. Rarely get a cab anywhere - but where I need to go is one of the few awkward places where a cab is MUCH MUCH quicker than public transport.

.. and I didn't want to carry anything back.

The distance in about 2.3 miles, bearing in mind it's London.

Got a Kapten there (came in under 5 mins) who claim (unlike Uber) to pay full taxis in the local market - cost £7.

Got a Bolt ( came in 3 mins) which is the re-branded Taxify. As a first time customer, got a 50% discount and it cost £3.50 home.

Won't use Uber again. On Kapten you will also soon be able to order an electric / hybrid vehicle. That's my choice now, I was reading last week how Uber have added to pollution in London.

I have sympathy for Black Cab drivers but they are:

1) incredibly expensive
2) don't like doing short journeys
3) knowledge or not, don't always go the shortest route if they don't know the area very well.

I've had a couple of really shitty experiences with black cabs.

1) Refusing to take somebody from Gatwick to hospital because they didn't want to go into central London.
2) Getting really annoyed about taking a disabled person less than a hundred yards because a lift at a railway station was broken. Needed to drive round to an alternative entrance.

The first wasn't an emergency. They had broken their leg on holiday, but cast was a bit rubbish. The cab proceeded to break down on the embankment and we had to hail another for the last 50 yards : )

On the second one of course I offered to pay and of course they charged :)

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So should you be able to become a London black cab driver without doing the knowledge due to sat nav?
As I said previously black cab drivers are a law unto themselves, they work when they want and go where they want to pretty much.
Glad to see the back of UBER but cabbies got cocky and deserved what they got, maybe they have learned a lesson and provide a better service especially at nights over the weekend.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So should you be able to become a London black cab driver without doing the knowledge due to sat nav?
As I said previously black cab drivers are a law unto themselves, they work when they want and go where they want to pretty much.
Glad to see the back of UBER but cabbies got cocky and deserved what they got, maybe they have learned a lesson and provide a better service especially at nights over the weekend.
The knowledge don’t make me laugh, those pricks just opt for the slowest route unfortunately for them I drive all week in Central London so on the rare occasions I’ve got a black cab I’ve slaughtered them on their magnet choice to find the traffic.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The knowledge don’t make me laugh, those pricks just opt for the slowest route unfortunately for them I drive all week in Central London so on the rare occasions I’ve got a black cab I’ve slaughtered them on their magnet choice to find the traffic.

I am not disagreeing with you, you clearly know more about this than me.
But it still leaves the argument about whether or not the knowledge is outdated.
Taxi drivers that clearly take the slowest route really piss me off as well but I can't help feeling that they do it to try and make up for the money they are losing out on due to UBER, if there was plenty of work like there used to be they wouldn't do it, either way it's wrong though.
My brother in law said he is down by about a third since UBER arrived.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Team Cabbie.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
From all the chat on here I'm getting the impression that anybody can become an Uber driver in London (South east) with only Uber doing the checks ?

If so, a far different story in Leeds. The driver to get their Council private hire licence has to take a private hire driving test with the DVLA, same as a learner driver but with a few tweaks. They have to take a written maths and English test, They are DBS checked and attend a (I think 2 hour - long time since I did it.) seminar on safeguarding and other related matters. They also have to have a contract with a licensed private hire company, Uber is one of many in the city. The car they drive has to be registered with the council (and no older than 5 years old upon first registration and checked annually by the council.

Is this not the same in other areas ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I am not disagreeing with you, you clearly know more about this than me.
But it still leaves the argument about whether or not the knowledge is outdated.
Taxi drivers that clearly take the slowest route really piss me off as well but I can't help feeling that they do it to try and make up for the money they are losing out on due to UBER, if there was plenty of work like there used to be they wouldn't do it, either way it's wrong though.
My brother in law said he is down by about a third since UBER arrived.
Every other trade has competition that’s life. The massive infestation by Eastern European building labour had an effect on many UK tradesman we carried on and our quality showed through in the end and things are getting back to normal. I certainly didn’t start ripping off my customers because my earnings went down by a percentage. Because of their antics people have lost trust in them and seek cheaper options.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
From all the chat on here I'm getting the impression that anybody can become an Uber driver in London (South east) with only Uber doing the checks ?

If so, a far different story in Leeds. The driver to get their Council private hire licence has to take a private hire driving test with the DVLA, same as a learner driver but with a few tweaks. They have to take a written maths and English test, They are DBS checked and attend a (I think 2 hour - long time since I did it.) seminar on safeguarding and other related matters. They also have to have a contract with a licensed private hire company, Uber is one of many in the city. The car they drive has to be registered with the council (and no older than 5 years old upon first registration and checked annually by the council.

Is this not the same in other areas ?

It’s the same down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Mr Khan won’t be happy [emoji23]

Guys a tool his master plan is to make London the most expensive city in the world. The congestion charging new hours is a joke, proves it has nothing to do with pollution pure money making scheme destroying many businesses inside the zone.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don’t forget the 20 illegals that got caught using registered drivers accounts, I’m assuming more weren’t caught! [emoji23]

You mean a whole 0.05% of the drivers ? You might want to investigate how many Brighton cabbies 'share' licenses ..... and B&H Council do nothing about because they are too scared to take on the local taxi firms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here