Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon and Facebook likely to bid for Premier League rights

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Amazon and Facebook are likely to bid for Premier League streaming rights, which will further escalate the huge financial boom for England’s top clubs, the Manchester United vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, has said.

In his quarterly call with bank executives who invest in United’s shares on the New York stock exchange, Woodward said the pair were very interested in the last round of rights deals for 2016-19, which the Premier League sold primarily to BSkyB and BT for £8.4bn.

more: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ebook-premier-league-rights-manchester-united

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I wonder if they will insist on games being played at a time to suit a westcoast america audience

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Facebook bid for the IPL but it was too rich for them. The Premier League’s a different beast completely.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Facebook bid for the IPL but it was too rich for them. The Premier League’s a different beast completely.

Whilst they'd be priced out of Premier League I'm sure plenty of providers would be slightly worried if Amazon and Netflix were to want to get into live sports.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Whilst they'd be priced out of Premier League I'm sure plenty of providers would be slightly worried if Amazon and Netflix were to want to get into live sports.
Amazon already show NFL Thursday Night Football.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Amazon already have a contract to live stream NFL football on Thursday nights paying $50m dollars for ten games.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Amazon already have a contract to live stream NFL football on Thursday nights paying $50m dollars for ten games.

They'd be looking at a chunk more than that, I suppose it's difficult to know whether they are talking about domestic rights or international for the PL matches.

Average cost per game
£3.7m per NFL game
£10.2m per PL game

Average viewing figures
17.6m viewers per NFL game
1.5m viewers per PL game

And if you add some figures to consider potential advertising revenue...
10 minutes of advertising per PL game
2,795 hours of advertising per NFL game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here