Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rosenior Blog - The Guardian

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The majority of what? Their readership is 2.2 million and that's because the reading level is set at 12 years old.

I was quite surprised to discover that reading levels aren't necessarily an indication of quality of the article or skill of the writer. Some author such as Hemingway or Austen have relatively very low reading ages yet they're both universally regarded as some of the greatest ever.

https://contently.com/strategist/20...level-analysis-will-change-the-way-you-write/

I take a dim view anyway of the snobbery when talking about newspapers. There's a place for both broadsheets and tabloids out there and although broadsheets do tend to be more authorative, there's no getting away from the fact that they all pander to the prejudices of their readers every bit as much as tabloids.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
He's just a complete class act. An outstanding ambassador for us and we are so so lucky to have him.

Edit. I mean Rosenior, not BG. Though he's pretty classy as well

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was quite surprised to discover that reading levels aren't necessarily an indication of quality of the article or skill of the writer. Some author such as Hemingway or Austen have relatively very low reading ages yet they're both universally regarded as some of the greatest ever.

https://contently.com/strategist/20...level-analysis-will-change-the-way-you-write/

I take a dim view anyway of the snobbery when talking about newspapers. There's a place for both broadsheets and tabloids out there and although broadsheets do tend to be more authorative, there's no getting away from the fact that they all pander to the prejudices of their readers every bit as much as tabloids.

I'd say your right. My issue with the tabloids is what they write about and the lengths they go to source it (or pretend to source it). The Sun is banned from my household although the right of centre broadsheets aren't. I think it's a nasty publication which, as you say, panders to people's prejudices. Although, in this case, perhaps creates them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
[/B]

I'd say your right. My issue with the tabloids is what they write about and the lengths they go to source it (or pretend to source it). The Sun is banned from my household although the right of centre broadsheets aren't. I think it's a nasty publication which, as you say, panders to people's prejudices. Although, in this case, perhaps creates them.

Agreed, I think it's nasty too and don't read it. The way it covered Frank Bruno's mental breakdown recently shows it for what it is, in my opinion but I've no problem with anyone else choosing to read it. Likewise, I find the Mail quite creepy or at least its online content with its obsession photos of young daughters of celebrities.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He's good, isn't he?

Good at blogging. Not so good at football it seems.

Being a bit harsh but did not impress me against Barnet or Bournemouth.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
When I have seen the team play I can tell they are giving it their all. I hate it when we lose but I can't blame the players, they really deserve and need all the support we can give them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

With you, Buzz. What are your prejudices?
The problem for us hopeless lefties is that the prejudices of our 'free' press are predominantly in one direction.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I (still) haven't read this week's instalment, but have read the rest of his Guardian output, and they're very erudite, and really insightful too. We've been blessed with some real stars at this club recently. It's so difficult to rank which is the greater role model but can't see anyone but Calde, Liam and Bruno making the top three.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
As I drive home I’m still seeing it. I get home and crawl into bed at 2am, and for the next five hours I’m staring at the ceiling watching the same movie in my mind over and over.

Great insight ito whats going on inside a players head.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The majority of what? Their readership is 2.2 million and that's because the reading level is set at 12 years old.

Oh well,keep up the reading,you'll get there eventually.Wonder if the Guardian can include this thread in their readership figures?Might double it.:lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Great insight ito whats going on inside a players head.

It goes to show no player sets out to lose a game. They put their effort in (the majority of them) and are gutted when they lose. I would imagine most players are very competitive and have been to get where they are now, so will have pain at the result.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
With you, Buzz. What are your prejudices?

I think you know the answer to that! I quite like reading The Spectator but then again I don't mind The New Statesman as and when I find a copy to read. I used to read the Telegraph but fell out of love with it years and years ago.

The problem for us hopeless lefties is that the prejudices of our 'free' press are predominantly in one direction.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. The Guardian is extremely high profile, well-known and with lots of columnists who pop up very frequently on political radio and TV shows. The Independent too has always been moderately left-wing. Tabloid-wise there's the Daily Mirror still going strong and on TV, Channel 4 news is pretty unashamedly left of centre (not a criticism by the way, just an observation). Online, there's plenty with, I guess, Huff Post the obvious one that comes to mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here