Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the most expensive music related item you have purchased?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I recently "bought" the super delux 30th anniversary edition of u2's Joshua Tree, 1.4 kilos of Bono and crew. Very nice it is as well. It was something I wanted and my father and brother facilitated its purchase via some birthday vouchers :)thumbsup:). I think this is my most expensive purchase.

Which got me thinking....what's the most the musos on here have spent? It can be records, merch, or memorabilia. Let's skip gig tickets unless anyone has flown somewhere silly specifically to see a band.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Modern times it would be The Jam - The Gift (Super Deluxe Edition) Box set but back in the early 80s I spent about £40 or something on a bootleg double album of the last Brighton concert on vinyl. Recorded on something very small, sounds awful but readily available in digital format nowadays.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Technics decks mixer amp about a grands worth about 20 years ago.

If I was rich and had the space I'd do this. This is Soulwax's record collection and listening room.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 588

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Early pressings of Joy Divisions Unknown Pleasures and Led Zep III, although the late seventies Linn properly blew the budget.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A Sony stacking hi-fi system, bought in 1988 to take to University. Bought it with money saved from birthdays and selling programs at the Goldstone, in the department store at the bottom of North Street (Hanningtons?) for £249.00

An absolute fortune - you could buy something for £50 now that would do more and probably sound as good or better. It felt the absolute DOGS at the time, though.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Three way open baffle speakers with 1950's vintage drivers. £3000

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fostex multi-track recorder and mixer (double speed tape cassettes). £400 - but that was ten week's wages at the time (and yes, it was nearly 40 years ago).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Cannonball tenor saxophone for my son.

I bought a new tenor sax for my mum while living in the USA many years ago, and being neurotic about avoiding UK customs duty I put some sheet music in the case with it, covered it in fingerprint smudges to make it look used, typed up a professional looking letter saying I'd been invited to come over and play in a concert in Sussex and hid the reeds in some other luggage so that they couldn't ask me to play it (because I can't play a note). They did stop me, opened the case, took one look at it and let me through.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Screenshot_2017-09-21-15-35-35.png
Screenshot_2017-09-21-15-35-04.png

My gold plated Technics SL1200's.
Cost about £2000.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here