Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premier League. A negative twinge.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
**Miserable git alert**

So as we prepare for a big game on Sunday we will be scrapping for 3 points to help get us to the promised land of 17th place at the end of the season. If we manage to get there, after patting ourselves on the back, we will then start looking out for next seasons fixtures so we can start scrapping for survival points all over again.

Repeat this until we get finally relegated.

Fun? I'm not sure.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A term I used at the end of last season (to someone who was about to call it a night after we'd beaten Wigan to secure promotion) was "peak Albion". That really may well have been it - it never gets any better. (He stayed out for more beer)

So, yes, I agree with what you're saying. You look at the solid mid-table sides, say West Brom, and where does the excitement come from? They don't even seem to have a go in a Cup.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That's a rather negative view to take on it.

Sure, at first the priority will be to stay in the league and of course our luck could run out at any time - but there's plenty more to look forward to than 17th place! There's the chance to establish ourselves and climb the table, beat the likes of United and Chelsea in their own yard, go on a decent cup run, and of course.. beat Palace. If we can stay up for a couple of seasons then all of those things are possible!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Agreed. There will be those who say 'enjoy the ride' but to me I want to see a competitive sporting event with the team I follow competing to have a chance of success. It bothers me not that I am missing Sergio Aguero, Paul Pogba et al....

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
A term I used at the end of last season (to someone who was about to call it a night after we'd beaten Wigan to secure promotion) was "peak Albion". That really may well have been it - it never gets any better. (He stayed out for more beer)

So, yes, I agree with what you're saying. You look at the solid mid-table sides, say West Brom, and where does the excitement come from? They don't even seem to have a go in a Cup.

You're right.

That feeling when the final whistle blew v Wigan, the beers afterwards and the Derby equaliser will NEVER be matched in the Premier League. I cried a little bit. Don't think I will ever again.

God that's depressing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nah, Leicester won the League, Southampton, West Ham, Hull, Swansea, Wigan, Stoke, Fulham, Middlesborough, Birmingham, Bolton - all made European Competition. Cups to be won. What's to get negative about?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
**Miserable git alert**

So as we prepare for a big game on Sunday we will be scrapping for 3 points to help get us to the promised land of 17th place at the end of the season. If we manage to get there, after patting ourselves on the back, we will then start looking out for next seasons fixtures so we can start scrapping for survival points all over again.

Fun? I'm not sure.
Absolutely understandable. For me, my love of the Albion, and excitement about all things Albion, reached a thrilling crescendo towards the end of last season that I massively doubt will ever be reached again. I just can't see how it realistically will be.

I currently have no interest in going to away games this year to watch us at best struggle and at worst get seriously outplayed.

HOWEVER, I am massively looking forward to every game at The Amex. I simply love the place and every match we start there with a realistic chance of it being a good match for us. When the big boys come to town that has its own appeal and challenge - against the rest then there is the excitement of knowing that we have to get something from the game.

ALBION! ALBION!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
**Miserable git alert**

Fun? I'm not sure.

Albion got to the PL on sometimes pure luck, but more of great belief, 'togetherness' and hard work on all fronts.
I for one enjoyed the unknown of the championship ups and down
Whether we are going to scrap for survival every season in the PL, it'll make us stronger and more wily each time in readiness to survive.
Bring it on, we've deserved this :albion2:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Nah, Leicester won the League, Southampton, West Ham, Hull, Swansea, Wigan, Stoke, Fulham, Middlesborough, Birmingham, Bolton - all made European Competition. Cups to be won. What's to get negative about?

Agree. There's no pre-ordained list of PL clubs, but there's an opportunity now to get amongst it and get involved! Why not Brighton?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As I've said all along, I'd rather watch the Albion beat Leyton Orient 1-0 than watch the Albion lose to Man City 2-0, even though we did quite well. BUT it is new and exciting and I will 'enjoy the ride'.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Someone suggested to me a while back that Albion might follow the Watford/Burnley model, of going up and down a couple of times, staying well-managed, and using parachute payments to strengthen the squad, such that eventually you find yourself in the Prem with a squad easily good enough for mid-table, and potentially capable of pushing on.
I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, am starting to think there might be something in it.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Agree. There's no pre-ordained list of PL clubs, but there's an opportunity now to get amongst it and get involved! Why not Brighton?

Oh I totally agree.

I guess it's weird starting this season (my 35th watching the Albion - Christ!) knowing, for the first time, we can't possibly win the competition we are in. When you are in any of the lower leagues there is always that hope as the season begins.

Saying all that, I'll get used to it don't worry!!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would rather be scrapping against relegation in the PL, than scrapping for survival at the bottom of the fourth division, knowing that if we go down, that's it, we would cease to exist. All things are relative, I hope we don't go down, but if we do , we will still have a club, and a ground, it wasn't always so.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Looking at the bigger picture. If we hadn't gone up then we'd have lost some of our best players (had to sell for FFP and/ or would have gone to a PL club anyway) and had to rebuild the team. Plus Tony would have had to keep pumping £25m+ into the club every season just to compete. The Championship get harder and less predictable every year, especially for those clubs without parachute payments. It would have been a bit of a nightmare actually.

Going up last season was an absolute godsend and if we do go down then we will be in a FAR stronger position to push for promotion again than had we not been in the PL at all. This season might be a grind at times but in the long run it will be worth it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I said quite a few times, we'd enjoy the journey more than the destination. League attendances dropped at the Goldstone by 1983 because fans want to watch a winning team, not a team just coping.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Going up last season was an absolute godsend and if we do go down then we will be in a FAR stronger position to push for promotion again than had we not been in the PL at all. This season might be a grind at times but in the long run it will be worth it.

Absolutely this :thumbsup:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I agree with the OP.

The previous 2 seasons I was on planet Albion for what seemed like one long one with an inconvenient break. It was amazing.
But very quickly after promotion had been won, I felt like, that's it, we've done it.
First game came round, I was excited yeah but nothing like the first time I actually went to the Amex.
I'm enjoying this season, but does feel a little flat. I hope if we do manage to establish ourselves we have a bit of a crack at the cups. That's where we could really do something a bit special.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Looking at the bigger picture. If we hadn't gone up then we'd have lost some of our best players (had to sell for FFP and/ or would have gone to a PL club anyway) and had to rebuild the team. Plus Tony would have had to keep pumping £25m+ into the club every season just to compete. The Championship get harder and less predictable every year, especially for those clubs without parachute payments. It would have been a bit of a nightmare actually.

This

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here