Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel and accommodation for Man U

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I have. Had to do some testing at Hewlett Packard a few years back. We stayed in Stockport. All the shops were boarded up at 5:30. Very grim at night.

That's right. Everyone from Stockport goes out in Manchester at night. Good trains and buses in, and all-night bus service to get home after. In fact the whole of the Manchester area s well-served by all-night buses.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Luckily (or unluckily) i have in-laws in Denton so sorted. Love Manchester as a city but the outskirts are like a bath with the scum round the outside.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Just be careful that you check the train times as if you decide to stop for a few beers in Manchester, the last train on to Sheffield on a Saturday is often about 10.30 pm or something daft like that.

We got caught out by this once having been to a gig there. Thought we'd just get a hotel but as Man U were at home they were all booked up or crazy prices. Ended up getting a taxi back which was way cheaper than any of the hotels. The taxi driver said that it was because of all the "home" fans who travel there for every match. They can bump up the prices and the plastics from down South / Japan etc will pay whatever they charge. It made me hate Man U even more than I already did.

Anyway, I'd just go straight to Sheffield and drink / eat there as I don't like Manchester much.

Have to say, I can't see the logic of staying in Sheffield to see a football match in Manchester and getting a train over the Pennines on a Saturday night.

Slower and more difficult to get to from London as well.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Have to say, I can't see the logic of staying in Sheffield to see a football match in Manchester and getting a train over the Pennines on a Saturday night.

Well the logic was pointed out in earlier posts. The point of the thread being alternative suggestions if the accommodation in Manchester was too expensive.

Slower and more difficult to get to from London as well.

No it isn't. Both take just over two hours on the train and if you go from St Pancras there are no changes.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Any suggestions for cheap trains and hotels. Just had a quick look and it's ridiculously expensive.

Spoke to someone today who lives South and has a Man U season ticket (now that's a surprise) and he said hotels are just daft prices and staying out of the city centre taxis go up three fold on a match day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, hopefully four of us going, one has a student rail ticket.

Thanks.

Good luck in the Binfest for tickets....

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
9 of us already booked into some apartments just by Piccadilly station.....at La Reserve Aparthotel......£109 each for two nights and right in the centre of town

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Cheap trains were 40 quid a few weeks ago,you forget the southern reds ie cockney reds buy cheap seats straight away

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It has costed £131 in train fares so no cheap travel option for me. I went for standard off peak return fare as I've been finding advanced too restricting and nervy. It includes £22 to branch off to see and stay with family so cheap roof over my head which help subsidises £73 ticket cost ( incl lite membership). That's £204 before the pubs are hit!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has costed £131 in train fares so no cheap travel option for me. I went for standard off peak return fare as I've been finding advanced too restricting and nervy. It includes £22 to branch off to see and stay with family so cheap roof over my head which help subsidises £73 ticket cost ( incl lite membership). That's £204 before the pubs are hit!

If you have a mate travelling with you, it may be worth investing in an annual 2 together Railcard for £30. It will save you a 1/3 of the fare. Over a year that represents a considerable saving,. It must be the same two people (named on the card with photo ID) travelling together.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
split ticket via stoke is my handy tip for the day - £27 with 2together card or similar

Did exactly the same last week..

Return London to Manchester quoted as £54 return with a railcard.

Return London to Manchester, with tickets 'split' at Stoke - £30.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here