Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel and accommodation for Man U

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Any suggestions for cheap trains and hotels. Just had a quick look and it's ridiculously expensive.

Spoke to someone today who lives South and has a Man U season ticket (now that's a surprise) and he said hotels are just daft prices and staying out of the city centre taxis go up three fold on a match day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, hopefully four of us going, one has a student rail ticket.

Thanks.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Stay in another Northern city that's easily accessible by train from central Manchester. For example, a single from Manchester to Sheffield on early Saturday evening costs about six quid. It's 50 minutes on the train from Manchester to Sheffield, but an evening in Sheffield is just as good as an evening in Manchester, trust me.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Stay in another Northern city that's easily accessible by train from central Manchester. For example, a single from Manchester to Sheffield on early Saturday evening costs about six quid. It's 50 minutes on the train from Manchester to Sheffield, but an evening in Sheffield is just as good as an evening in Manchester, trust me.

Stay in Stockport. Its 10 mins by train to Manchester

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
If you are staying a day or so the Piccadilly hotels. Right in the nightlife and a tram/cab away from Old Trafford (30)mins max

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Bredbury Hall in Stockport is cheap and has an onsite nightclub with lots of slappers. The rooms are a bit shit but it's cheaper than staying in Manchester and about 10mons on train or 30mins taxi. Oh and it does a good curry too, a proper Indian style not a hotel.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I lived in Manchester for many years.

My top recommendation would be Motel One opposite Piccadilly Station. The tram for Old Trafford leaves directly opposite, costs a couple of quid and takes about 20 mins. Motel One rooms are usually available on Trivago and are between £70 and £100.

In terms of trains - have a look on Trainline but there are loads of options from Euston - some are expensive but Friday after 7 in the evening are the best value. There's also a train from Guildford I think but not sure of times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
A cheaper, albeit less comfortable, option would be the Megabus from Victoria Coach station. A quick search has returns for £8.50, leaving Saturday morning at 8am and returning Sunday 9.30am. I've used them on that route two or three times, and it was fine, but may be more of an issue if you're plus 6ft.

Also, the YHA in the centre has a quadruple room available for £159 on booking.com.

Good luck!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I had a look the other day at the United website and a hospitality type package including visit to trophy room,sign Zlatan's plaster cast etc was £500. There was a cheaper one available for £270 odd. Tried to check just now but there's a 30 - 60 minute wait on the website presumably whilst people snatch up their tickets for the next round of the League Cup and I'm not honestly that interested.

Back in the day I would have been sorted as they say, my eldest brother lives walking distance from Old Trafford, however as he now boycotts the place, kipping in his spare room would result in an obligation to accompany him to FC United's TBA FA Trophy match that same day

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Media City/Salford Quays area for hotels has a lot of parking, you're a walk from OT, and easy to get to and from town. All your normal Travel lodge, Holiday Inn Express, Ibis etc. and typically good value, can see some good deals still online.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am right in thinking this game definitely won't be moved for TV aren't I?

A rare thing for Man U games.. A 15:00 Sat K.O. ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have you ever been to Stockport?

I have. Had to do some testing at Hewlett Packard a few years back. We stayed in Stockport. All the shops were boarded up at 5:30. Very grim at night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have. Had to do some testing at Hewlett Packard a few years back. We stayed in Stockport. All the shops were boarded up at 5:30. Very grim at night.

I saw Brighton there many moons ago. I sat in the main stand and cheered our goal...not ostentatiously, but with polite applause. A local came steaming up to me giving it the big one and offered me outside-yes I know. It was classic head to head arms out wide without actually hitting me stuff. I stood calm, smiled and kept my cool and after a minute stewards surrounded us. I then calmly said "I just know you are not going to hit me". Local barked "how do you know that?" to which I replied "well, you had a good minute to do so but you're now surrounded by stewards....so you'd be daft to do it now wouldn't you?". He did some more "hold me back" and snarled a bit before being carted off. Stewards apologised and we all got on with the game.

Lovely place.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I am right in thinking this game definitely won't be moved for TV aren't I?

A rare thing for Man U games.. A 15:00 Sat K.O. ?

TV games are already announced for that weekend. Plus Man Utd play in Europe on the Wednesday before, and we both play in the league the Tuesday after, there isn't anywhere to move it to.

Aug 5, 2015
TV games are already announced for that weekend. Plus Man Utd play in Europe on the Wednesday before, and we both play in the league the Tuesday after, there isn't anywhere to move it to.

what about the early tv slot 1230 on sat, that has not been scheduled as far as I can see, any possibility we could get picked for that

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Just be careful that you check the train times as if you decide to stop for a few beers in Manchester, the last train on to Sheffield on a Saturday is often about 10.30 pm or something daft like that.

We got caught out by this once having been to a gig there. Thought we'd just get a hotel but as Man U were at home they were all booked up or crazy prices. Ended up getting a taxi back which was way cheaper than any of the hotels. The taxi driver said that it was because of all the "home" fans who travel there for every match. They can bump up the prices and the plastics from down South / Japan etc will pay whatever they charge. It made me hate Man U even more than I already did.

Anyway, I'd just go straight to Sheffield and drink / eat there as I don't like Manchester much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here