Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LoyaltyPointGate - discussion with the club

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'd argue that the current system is demonstrably less about pure cash spent than the last one was. Last season, 1901ers got an extra 100 [old] LP than other STH. While the club never specified what the reasons for this differential were, it's the received wisdom that at least some proportion of it was due to the higher amount of cash injected into the club (the main other believed reason is the fact that 1901ers sign up for a minimum of 5 years, not one).

All understood, but on this occasion the cold hard cash to get extra loyalty points has over-ridden real loyalty and I am sure the club wouldn't have given a rats ass if a stink hadn't been kicked up about the no shows...

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
As I said on another thread that if the club hadn't stepped in now the scenario could have been even worse as if we had drawn a non league side in the FA Cup and we were chosen as the live game and given 600 tickets and the club offered 15 points and on the day of the game only 200 turned up

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely the problem is only that the club got the loyalty point allocation wrong for this tie. Consensus seems to be that both Leicester and Watford were sold out and well attended (despite one individual seemingly sitting on his own in an entire row at both games!!). In hindsight, the club should possibly have only offered a couple of points for this game. I don't know but I suspect the 650 that did go would still have gone. I also suspect the seemingly zillions of die hard fans that couldn't get a ticket would still not have gone (apart from the odd few). It was after all a reserve team fixture in the unwanted cup in which the club are obliged to enter and, at the second attempt, succeeded in getting knocked out.

The club know how many points fans have and over how long they have accrued them. I suspect there are very few that have only had a season for a couple of years as to be in the top bracket they would probably have had to have gone to most of the away games during those two years!

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Away Tickets - Fair?

ST holder for ages, been to a few away games but lacking enough loyalty points to get into the higher brackets when away tickets come on sale. So, the question is, how can I get away tickets (and therefore loyalty points) when they come on sale. Bit of a closed shop really, isn't it?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
All understood, but on this occasion the cold hard cash to get extra loyalty points has over-ridden real loyalty and I am sure the club wouldn't have given a rats ass if a stink hadn't been kicked up about the no shows...

I suspect you're right about the reason for the club's reaction. The club had the data for the Barnet cup game, where there were far more no-shows, and said & did the square root of F all about it. A cynic might suggest that the fact that the extra cash went into our coffers rather than an away team's may have played some part in this discrepancy in approach.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, but they do have a quite simple first come first served process which seems to work quite well...

It works well because they rarely sell out of any line.

Supply and demand.

The loyalty scheme isn't perfect but it rewards those that have been going regularly for a number of years over those that all of a sudden have a desire to attend fixtures at the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Wembley etc!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I suspect you're right about the reason for the club's reaction. The club had the data for the Barnet cup game, where there were far more no-shows, and said & did the square root of F all about it. A cynic might suggest that the fact that the extra cash went into our coffers rather than an away team's may have played some part in this discrepancy in approach.

Both games were League Cup games where ticket revenues (less certain permissible expenses) are split between each club.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Possibly, and only possibly, it might be due to the fact that it was highlighted many times on NSC and elsewhere this time, whereas for Barnet it was merely a few throwaway comments.
Additionally nobody complained post match about being unable to purchase a ticket.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think Barnet sold out did it ?

So everyone who wanted a ticket was able to get one officially without buying off twitter touts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, it is a closed shop unless you get very lucky, or buy off other fans touting tickets on twitter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Think you will find that, after expenses and the leagues cut, the income is shared equally.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
ST holder for ages, been to a few away games but lacking enough loyalty points to get into the higher brackets when away tickets come on sale. So, the question is, how can I get away tickets (and therefore loyalty points) when they come on sale. Bit of a closed shop really, isn't it?

Not the scenario with me, but do you think that fans who went to say, Rotherham/Huddersfield on Tuesday nights or a freezing Millwall when we barely avoided relegation a few terms back should get ANY preference?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
For people who are lucky enough to get tickets in the away allocation for eg Arsenal and Spurs, isn't it enough that you got one? Others would kill for tickets. Why should you in addition get more loyalty points, further reinforcing your privileged position in the future, for such an in-demand game? I can understand if you were one of the 3,000, you'd want that status quo to remain. But that doesn't mean it's fair or right.

Just started a thread on the closed shop of away tickets...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Both games were League Cup games where ticket revenues (less certain permissible expenses) are split between each club.

Correct.

However i think the difference was that Barnet didnt sell out so while people may have bagged extra points, they didnt also prevent others from getting them

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
In 2017, a crack supporting unit was sent to Bournemouth by a football club for a game they didn't want to watch. These fans promptly escaped from the Vitality Stadium to the Bournemouth underground. Today, still wanted by Paul Barber they survive as supporters of fortune. If you have an away end to fill, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire the elite group of travelling fans."

It was inevitable......'The Gay Team'....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I stand corrected. It remains a fact that the club were silent after the Barnet game, and are only now reacting, when the number of no-shows is materially smaller.

el punal

So what do you suggest? Most fans agree that the system is as fair as it can be. Those people with highest number of loyalty points - guess what? They were the ones who went to the far outposts of Preston, Blackburn etc when the Premier League was still a dream, they, above all others, deserve to be first in the pecking order.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
So what do you suggest? Most fans agree that the system is as fair as it can be. Those people with highest number of loyalty points - guess what? They were the ones who went to the far outposts of Preston, Blackburn etc when the Premier League was still a dream, they, above all others, deserve to be first in the pecking order.

I don't dispute that. Fair play to them. But maybe they should have an allocation of tickets for each bracket of STH. At least everyone would have a chance of getting one then, albeit slim...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here