Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LoyaltyPointGate - discussion with the club

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I've read loads of suggestions on this thread and nearly all of the ideas to change the loyalty scheme would make someone worse off.

In my view leave the scheme as it is, but properly assess what points to give for cup games. If you can buy a ticket for £3 or £10 that doesn't deserve any loyalty, certainly not 10 points anyway.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Here we go another opportunity for the "we went to Rotherham on a Tuesday night" brigade to tell us that only they are the true fans.

I think the question was 'Should such attendees get any preference'?

Or, to turn it on it's head...

Is it fair that a fan goes to every home and away game, then finds that they can't go to, say, Old Trafford because a fan, who has never gone to an away game, fancies a day out at a big match.

Appreciate this is an extreme example and we will never get an ideal system but you can see why all PL clubs reward the fans who go to most games.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Funny how loyalty points seem so unfair this season when in the past they haven't
So many of the it's so unfair brigade will disappear next season if we're relegated, and we won't have to endure these tedious threads and posts

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funny how loyalty points seem so unfair this season when in the past they haven't
So many of the it's so unfair brigade will disappear next season if we're relegated, and we won't have to endure these tedious threads and posts

I don't think there are many people in that particular brigade who are grizzling from your extreme position. The fact is, it is clear that the system needs tweaking and we are simply discussing that here. In particular, we are confronted with the well documented problem we saw on Tuesday night, and the fact that many people feel it is a closed shop to a certain extent. I don't think there is anything wrong in making those points.

And actually to elaborate on your point, I think the problem will go away to an extent next season even if we stay up. For example, plenty of people with a million points will be in no rush to return to Stamford Bridge. Even a second trip to Old Trafford to see us slaughtered again will lose it's appeal to some.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
For example, plenty of people with a million points will be in no rush to return to Stamford Bridge. Even a second trip to Old Trafford to see us slaughtered again will lose it's appeal to some.

A million points? Now that's a fan...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've read loads of suggestions on this thread and nearly all of the ideas to change the loyalty scheme would make someone worse off.

Yep. Any change would presumably be intended to make the system "fairer" or more "robust". It's inevitable that in so doing, some people would have to be disadvantaged in orders for others to be advantaged - it's a zero sum game.

Having said that, I'm warming to [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION]'s idea of giving way fewer points for low cost games, and none at all for the glamour ties. It's right and proper, imo, for tier 1 LP holders to have first dibs at Old Trafford (for example) this season, but if they want to ensure that they remain in tier 1 next season, they should have to continue going to the games that got them to tier 1 in the first place - e.g. Swansea & Stoke.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
I don't think there are many people in that particular brigade who are grizzling from your extreme position. The fact is, it is clear that the system needs tweaking and we are simply discussing that here. In particular, we are confronted with the well documented problem we saw on Tuesday night, and the fact that many people feel it is a closed shop to a certain extent. I don't think there is anything wrong in making those points.

And actually to elaborate on your point, I think the problem will go away to an extent next season even if we stay up. For example, plenty of people with a million points will be in no rush to return to Stamford Bridge. Even a second trip to Old Trafford to see us slaughtered again will lose it's appeal to some.

To be fair it was a well documented problem after the Barnet cup game when thousands purchased tickets but didn't turn up.

The club even had it's own data which surely must of raised questions internally but did nothing to discourage it from happening again.

Mouse28

Nov 15, 2009
England Supporters club ballot 20% of all away tickets to those not in the highest loyalty bracket. Whilst it isn't feasible to hold ballots for every BHA away match, a number of tickets could be held back for general sale.
When all matches are sold out to higher loyalty points holders, access to away match tickets becomes a closed shop and with regard to loyalty points "the rich get richer" and entrance into this closed shop by is prohibited.

A new scheme could be:
No loyalty points for sold out games - when a match sells out, those lucky enough to get a ticket are not necessarily more loyal than those not getting a ticket (just luckier at queuing);
Sell 90% of tickets based on loyalty points - thereby rewarding past loyalty;
Put 10% of tickets on general sale after the loyalty points sale - giving everybody a chance to attend an away game.

As an aside, I wonder what the attendance at Bournemouth would have been if 10 loyalty points had not been awarded. I suspect that it would not have been much more than the numbers who actually attended.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...As an aside, I wonder what the attendance at Bournemouth would have been if 10 loyalty points had not been awarded. I suspect that it would not have been much more than the numbers who actually attended.

That isn't an aside... it is the main point. The system isn't broken, just the implementation of it (for Barnet and AFCB).

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I haven't read all the pages, so I don't know if this has been suggested, but how about all Premier League (and possibly Championship) clubs implementing a universal ticketing system, whereby a ticket scan at the ground will feed the data to the away club, who will then add the points. So if you buy a ticket but don't use it, you get no points.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Apparently it says in t&cs you get points for attending - in which case they can legally take away the points. So no breakage of law

The quote that [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] provides is accurate, but doesn't reflect the whole story. Earlier in the T&Cs there's a sentence that says that LP are awarded on purchase. The T&Cs, read as a whole, are ambiguous on this point (other points too, but that's not relevant to this thread).

However, no law would be broken if no mention was made anywhere about attendance. It's a contract, so it's civil law, not criminal, and any legal remedy would be a suit for damages for breach of contract. Can't see anyone wanting to take that on though!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
To be fair it was a well documented problem after the Barnet cup game when thousands purchased tickets but didn't turn up.

The club even had it's own data which surely must of raised questions internally but did nothing to discourage it from happening again.

As pointed out, earlier in the thread, 1901 members get home cup matches included in their package, so if they didn't attend, the numbers would vary. They don't get loyalty points for a home cup match.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I haven't read all the pages, so I don't know if this has been suggested, but how about all Premier League (and possibly Championship) clubs implementing a universal ticketing system, whereby a ticket scan at the ground will feed the data to the away club, who will then add the points. So if you buy a ticket but don't use it, you get no points.

Think this is what the club might announce in the next few days, No scan of ticket at away turnstile no loyalty points
That's if other clubs are willing to pass all that info over after every game

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here