Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*Sampson RESIGNS*

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying the bullying players is all right if they're male but not if they're female?

That was announced some days ago; nothing to do with Sampson's sacking. That's more to do with the FA's approach to investigations

Concerning your first point, I am simply saying that coaching in competitive sport will necessarily involve criticism of individual performances. At what point does that get construed as bullying? I don't recall it coming up with the men's England team, and I am sure they get their fair share of bollockings. They certainly should.

And the Chair of the Committee was on the Today programme this morning, talking specifically about the sacking.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did someone say Ched Evans?
Same reason some people rushed to defend Ched Evans, who- regardless of his criminal acquittal- behaved appallingly on the night in question.

Sometimes people aren't in possession of all the facts. Sometimes they are, but let their personal loyalties blind them. Sometimes they can't or don't want to believe somebody might have done something they shouldn't, or would rather give them the benefit of the doubt.
Evans was wrongfully imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit, and you're criticising those (me) who were against the wrongful imprisonment? And you're suggesting that we don't have the facts or are blinded by loyalties?

How about I just don't like injustice, even against a man who has behaved appallingly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Commons Select Committee now piling in, planning to interview Aluko, to determine if there is a culture of bullying at the FA etc. This has got legs.....

SEXIST! :whistle:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't know, from what they were saying last night what he did in Bristol was a safeguarding issue and was very serious and things have to change over all football coaching to make sure the kids are safe.

They also said what he did was not illegal or the like.

Safeguarding in football covers a wide range of things

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So exactly what is he supposed to have been doing at Bristol. There is a lot of innuendo but no specific "thing".

Knocking off a player(s)? - which would be really stupid...

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
So exactly what is he supposed to have been doing at Bristol. There is a lot of innuendo but no specific "thing".

Knocking off a player(s)? - which would be really stupid...

It seems that the issue at the academy was flagged and dealt with. I would be very surprised if it was this, bearing in mind they allowed him to continue. As per my post earlier it's probably something at the other end of the scale which would be deemed not good behaviour or inappropriate in some way.

I've considered the comparison with teachers, who often occupy a similar 'safeguarding role'. If a teacher encouraged their kids to drink to celebrate exams or allowed a rude sing to be sung, that kind of thing.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
They also said what he did was not illegal or the like.

Safeguarding in football covers a wide range of things

So if what he did was not against the law I don't get what the big story is (not so much for him but the hoohaa regarding kids football training).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So if what he did was not against the law I don't get what the big story is (not so much for him but the hoohaa regarding kids football training).

Who mentioned kids?

There is the law, there is then also the FA's guidelines around safeguarding in coaching. If for example he took a womens team he was coaching out and made them do a dentists chair in a bar. That would be irresponsible given his position and would fall foul of safeguarding guidelines.

If for example he pulled one of the players (adult) from a team he was coaching, again that would be in breach of guidelines.

Could be anything, but not necessarily against the law of 'even that bad.'

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Who mentioned kids?

There is the law, there is then also the FA's guidelines around safeguarding in coaching. If for example he took a womens team he was coaching out and made them do a dentists chair in a bar. That would be irresponsible given his position and would fall foul of safeguarding guidelines.

If for example he pulled one of the players (adult) from a team he was coaching, again that would be in breach of guidelines.

Could be anything, but not necessarily against the law of 'even that bad.'

It was probably just an over reaction on the news last night then, it implied that parents should be concerned about their coaches not being vetted correctly and they could be at risk. Typical lazy journalism then.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It was probably just an over reaction on the news last night then, it implied that parents should be concerned about their coaches not being vetted correctly and they could be at risk. Typical lazy journalism then.

Probably. What it looks like is some safeguarding issues were raised when Sampson was being hired and either ignored or not discussed enough.

Personally think it is a scapegoat and the FA were 'fine' with it then, but now under pressure given the racist allegations.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Sampson's "previous" may have been making politcally incorrect comments to players while at Bristol. Who knows. From what the FA has said it appears he is not a physical danger to players (unless verbal assualts are considered a "danger" preventing him from coaching). Perhaps Sampson comes from the Malky Mackay school of thinking.

The FA has really screwed up here. It sends out a survey to England players and Eni Aluko provides an honest response alleging Sampson makes rascist comments. Sampson then immediately drops Eni, England's leading goalscorer from England squads (effectively ending Eni's England career) and the FA gives Eni £60k. The FA then carries out two less than thorough investigations into Sampson and shows itself to be incompetent.

Hopefully the parliamentary enquiry will get to the bottom of what happened.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
If he's done wrong there, so be it. But that smacks heavily of the FA going hunting for something with which to nail him, after they themselves failed to investigate his alleged conduct previously.

Perhaps they found out that he had bought tickets for a Bristol City away game just to get loyalty points, and then didn't attend the match. The FA (as well as former FA employees) just would be able to stomach that.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It would have been TEN if he hadn't taken Jimmy Case off.
This is true. 5-0 up at half time and it was seven about 15 mins into the second half. Hat-trick scorer and m-o-m Case was then subbed for reserve player Michael Ring (who?), who was hopeless, missing at least one easy chance to increase the scoreline. I was actually disappointed we didn't push on to make it double figures. Amazing to think Charlton were unbeaten (and top?) going into that game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
........................................................... and, it appears, some particularly dubious behaviour from his time at Bristol Academy where there are first-hand reports that some of the club’s trips were more like a coming together of stag- and hen-dos."

You mean groups of fit, young, healthy sportsmen and women, staying in hotels for away fixtures or tournaments had sex? Shocking...........

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So essentially,the FA have sat on a report on his shenanigans at Bristol Academy for 2 years, the findings of which would've given them good reason to sack Sampson, well, 2 years ago for inappropriate (but not illegal) behaviour with women at Bristol Academy...I think we can all join the dots there. Instead though, they sent him on a course, and buried it. NOW with this whole Aluko fiasco dragging on and on and on in the background, they've suddenly reviewed the findings in this report from 2 years ago, and decided to sack him.

Be interesting to see if Sampson brings about a case for unfair dismissal. The FA will just love that.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So essentially,the FA have sat on a report on his shenanigans at Bristol Academy for 2 years, the findings of which would've given them good reason to sack Sampson, well, 2 years ago for inappropriate (but not illegal) behaviour with women at Bristol Academy...I think we can all join the dots there. Instead though, they sent him on a course, and buried it. NOW with this whole Aluko fiasco dragging on and on and on in the background, they've suddenly reviewed the findings in this report from 2 years ago, and decided to sack him.

Be interesting to see if Sampson brings about a case for unfair dismissal. The FA will just love that.

£80K will be winging HIS way for a confidentiality CLAWS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here