Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim krul

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Because we are converting a one year loan to a one year contract. The transfer window is closed, so we can't draw up a new deal.

This doesn’t seem right. Now that he is fully our player surely we could offer him any contract we want. There is no restriction on negotiating new contracts with current players once the transfer window is closed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This doesn’t seem right. Now that he is fully our player surely we could offer him any contract we want. There is no restriction on negotiating new contracts with current players once the transfer window is closed.
More to do with having both Ryan and Walton under contract next season, and not wanting to have a 3rd keeper already contracted as well.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Great news. It was obvious that Ryan wouldn't make a top class/No.1 goalkeeper due to his size.

As has been mentioned before same height as Banks,Shilton and Clemence would you consider them not top class due to there height?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As has been mentioned before same height as Banks,Shilton and Clemence would you consider them not top class due to there height?

Those are not great examples, to be honest - mankind is growing. They WERE still quite 'tall' in relation to the other players on the pitch. Footballers on the whole now are bigger and stronger.

Iker Casillas is an inch shorter than Ryan. Use him instead :thumbsup:

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Those are not great examples, to be honest - mankind is growing. They WERE still quite 'tall' in relation to the other players on the pitch. Footballers on the whole now are bigger and stronger.

Iker Casillas is an inch shorter than Ryan. Use him instead :thumbsup:

Surely it's how big the keeper is compared to the goal that's important, isn't it? And they're still the same size :)

boik

Not really. Failed my height test straight away for a keeper. Made howlers in the Amex friendly and then the next two league games thereafter . Weak handling,doesn't command area. Looks weak on crosses. Really doesn't inspire me. If that seems stupid to you i'm not really bothered.

So you'd have got rid of Denis Bergkamp in his first season at Arsenal then? He was below par for most of that season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely it's how big the keeper is compared to the goal that's important, isn't it? And they're still the same size :)

A bit, yes.

But spence's main issue with Ryan's height seems to be in relation to his ability to command his area and come for crosses (a worry disproved by the stats).

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

Agreed, Brian Powney was not tall and I believe he played about 500 games for us.
As the Actress said to the Vicar "size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it.
And the 3 examples above speak for themselves.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
A very good permanent signing, I remember when he first made it at Newcastle and he was rated alongside the very best premier league keepers at the time. Who would believe then that he would be a Albion player especially when you consider goalkeepers are deemed at their best when they reach 30. Marvellous news.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was surprised too that we're allowed to do this outside the window, but fair enough, good signing. IF he does take over as first choice GK, it will be massive black mark against the recruitment team, won't it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I reckon Ryans reach is pretty good. He just doesn't have much of a neck, Tim Krul is a couple of inches taller, but I reckon its all in his neck.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Paying our record fee for a keeper, and having to get in a replacement him in weeks (as I said, IF that is the case) is a black mark.

I doubt very much that is the case. Krul has worked with Hughton before, so know each other well. I think the loan was because Newcastle were delaying letting him go. I have no proof, just a hunch.
We are Premier League so need two top class keepers as a minimum.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ryan's start was a worry, it had to be, but getting Krul in was a smart piece of business. We have genuine competition for the place now which can only be a good thing. I think over a season that Krul may become No1 but if he doesn't it'll be because Ryan has stepped up to the plate which can only be a good thing. They will push each other and that can only benefit the team.

It's far too early to write Ryan off, but the start he made was bound to raise question marks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here