Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feels like a big game coming up on Sunday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dour losses? We played very well for 60 mins at B'mouth & deserved a point according to many. We then lost a reserve team cup match in extra time which in itself was an achievement. I agree Sunday is a big game as with all the home games now. Just no need for the negative start to the thread IMO buddy :thumbsup:

We played well for 15 mins after we took the lead and like headless chickens after Bournemouth took the lead. If you think that first half of treating Bournemouth like a top six team and defending with 11 behind the ball, when they were there for the taking was playing very well,we were watching a different game.

I seem to have higher expectations than so many fans. Defending in depth against Man City was totally acceptable but against one goal and zero points Bournemouth was clearly not the way to play. I thought it was a shocking result and CH was completely out played by smug Eddie, but there ya go :shrug:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We played well for 15 mins after we took the lead and like headless chickens after Bournemouth took the lead. If you think that first half of treating Bournemouth like a top six team and defending with 11 behind the ball, when they were there for the taking was playing very well,we were watching a different game.

I seem to have higher expectations than so many fans. Defending in depth against Man City was totally acceptable but against one goal and zero points Bournemouth was clearly not the way to play. I thought it was a shocking result and CH was completely out played by smug Eddie, but there ya go :shrug:

All about opinions matey - I think we're def more boring / organised this season - but maybe you have to play a bit like that? I thought we defended excellently Friday up until they scored the first... In fact, I'd say from what I've seen we've defended very well all season on the whole.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All about opinions matey - I think we're def more boring / organised this season - but maybe you have to play a bit like that? I thought we defended excellently Friday up until they scored the first... In fact, I'd say from what I've seen we've defended very well all season on the whole.

I agree that we are good defensively but if that is all we have to rely on we are basically fecked. If as I suspect the game plan is defend defend defend, hit them on the break, defend, defend, we will lose most games :down:

CH really does need to mix it up a bit when we are playing other out of form teams. I completely accept that most teams in this league will roll us over but we missed out big time on Friday

Last edited:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Home form is key.
4 points from 6 games will look a bit grim but is not a disaster
7 points from 6 will look quite decent
Newcastle you do expect to be bottom half and it's these teams we need the home wins against. Will define whether we stay up or not

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Home form is key.
4 points from 6 games will look a bit grim but is not a disaster
7 points from 6 will look quite decent
Newcastle you do expect to be bottom half and it's these teams we need the home wins against. Will define whether we stay up or not

Not sure they would be expected to be bottom 6.

Title winners.
Added to an already decent squad.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
CH has little to play with in attack, so he has to be sure about the defence - which is strong. We need goals from midfield and a lot of luck in some key games. Against Bournemouth we were both a bit unlucky and also too defensive. We did not have the key ability to hold the ball in attack and therefore we were (and are) always going to struggle.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
To those who say we have to set up and defend the way we are I simply say "Huddersfield ".

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure they would be expected to be bottom 6.

Title winners.
Added to an already decent squad.

Quite a few NSC'ers laughed at Newcastle throughout the summer, following the tabloid narrative of them being a relegation car crash in waiting. We were told their summer business was a disaster and that Rafa (hated by a few NSC'ers for some odd reason) would walk.

In reality, Rafa's coaching class has come through yet again and they're playing well.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Big game, yes.
On current form NUFC are not struggling like us and other teams, so i'm hopeful of a result but not confident with the way we are playing atm. I think we still have another 2 or three games to go before we know how our new signings are going to work best in the team, then we will hopefully start to see the quality and results come through.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
It's amazing how we were consigned to relegation pre West Brom, then after getting that first win we were dead certs to stay up, one league defeat and one second string cup defeat (both away) and this is the make or break game again.

Let's just enjoy the season and start to realise that even if we stay up we are unlikely to win many more than one in every four games. Trouble is we have been spoilt since being at the Amex and most of our more recently acquired fans need to get used to losing. Some of our longer in the tooth fans also need to remember what it's like to lose most weeks!

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
The cliché is that every game is a big game, and it's true. But I get your point... a home game against Newcastle is a match that we should be picking up points in. Failing to do so will heap more pressure on the next few games which we could do without.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I agree that we are good defensively but if that is all we have to rely on we are basically fecked. If as I suspect the game plan is defend defend defend, hit them on the break, defend, defend, we will lose most games :down:

CH really does need to mix it up a bit when we are playing other out of form teams. I completely accept that most teams in this league will roll us over but we missed out big time on Friday

I agree ... the quality of most front men in this league is good enough that they will breakthrough eventually and then we're unable to respond. It's not just about our front men, our midfield have to get hold of the ball and play our way out. There's been way too many stray passes and a focus on just protecting the back 4

I also think CH pays far too much respect to the opposition both tactically and verbally ...'it's a tough place to go/come', 'they are a quality team', 'you know you're going to get a tough game at xxxx'. It's almost as if he has little or no belief and I wonder how much of that rubs off on the players

Let's hope we're on the front foot vs Newcastle, we did it against WBA but we cant dine out on that too much longer

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I agree ... the quality of most front men in this league is good enough that they will breakthrough eventually and then we're unable to respond. It's not just about our front men, our midfield have to get hold of the ball and play our way out. There's been way too many stray passes and a focus on just protecting the back 4

I also think CH pays far too much respect to the opposition both tactically and verbally ...'it's a tough place to go/come', 'they are a quality team', 'you know you're going to get a tough game at xxxx'. It's almost as if he has little or no belief and I wonder how much of that rubs off on the players

Let's hope we're on the front foot vs Newcastle, we did it against WBA but we cant dine out on that too much longer

Good points, well made. We were the best side in the Championship last year and yet, of the 3 promoted sides, we are by far the most negative in our thinking and approach and it's reflected in the early results.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It is a big game and I do think 3 points are essential even at this early stage. I thought we shat ourselves a bit and paid too much respect to Newcastle in the two games last season, we made them looker better than they were, so I'm hoping we're more confident and on the front foot this time.

This

We were the better team until Pocognoli went off.. and then we absolutely shat it, despite Tomori ending up being one of the better performers in the game.

That ****ing equaliser though!
We've got some payback coming for that alone.

edited .. it was the left back who went off wasn't it? Pocognoli??

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I don't rate our chances much. Benitez is a quality manager and outdid us last time. But we must get something from the game. 4 points from 6 games will be a pretty useless return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's a must win like Bournemouth was..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here