Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite ever comedian

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I did see Jim Davidson at The Dome around 1983/4, I thought he was brilliant back then, wouldn't get anywhere near Brighton these days let alone sell out The Dome.

Do you remember Jimmy Jones? :D
jimmy jones ....kin ell

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
And now a local lad. Lewes, I believe.

No mate , I spoke to him in the pub before a Chelsea game the season before last , he tried Lewes but he said he's just too used to London so he went back.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Billy Connelly, Alexi Sayle , Bob Monkhouse. Had the pleasure of seeing all three live and could scarcely breathe from pissing myself laughing.

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, my 87 year old mum likes him. The only trouble is that if she goes over to Worthing to see him she has to leave after 5 hours in order to get the bus home to Hove.

Nothing worse than people leaving before the end just to get a bus home:lol:

I used to do some work with the team at Worthing Theatres and Doddy's show was always a challenge. He would start at 7pm and sometime not finish until 2am! He would start as a sell out show, by 10:30 loads of the old folk had headed for the last bus and only a hardcore left still there at the end, albeit many had long since nodded off.

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not getting the love for Milton Jones. Every time I've seen him I just sit stony taced, he raises no titters here. Not clever and not funny. " unfunny Uncle jokes" is the best way to describe his humour.

Are you basing this just on his Mock The Week appearances (and if so, they are Grandfather jokes)? His live shows are very cleverly crafted interwoven stories and jokes. On his last tour he had what some people would have just rolled out as a very simple joke. Milton set it up at the start of a set of stories and you had wait five minutes for the punchline which made it a very good joke. His Radio 4 series are also very well pulled together.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We were discussing this today at work and I reckon it comes down to three for me...

Tim Vine, Rik Mayall or Les Dawson. Really difficult to pick one favourite from those three as I love them all for different reasons but if push came to shove I think I'd have to go for Les Dawson. What makes him even more remarkable is that he's one of the very few old style comedians still to have his reputation completely intact and still be regarded as funny.

Difficult to chose one. It's a bit like cricketers, Sir Don Bradman or Sir Vivian Richards as best ever batsman ? both were masters of their craft at different times but difficult to judge who had the edge. I'm with you with Les Dawson, amazing dry humour but equally Rik Mayall was a different type of comedian from a different time but also quite brilliant.

I would really struggle to nail it down to one, too many to choose from. But would suggest that the sadly late Robin Williams is right up there.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Interestingly, unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a single mention for any of the Monty Python lot, not even as one of the old-timers along with the likes of Milligan, Feldman, Cook and Moore. How times change. Has their later extremely, unfunny work, undone their Python legacy? Or was it never that good to start with and just 'of it's time'?

The Pythons are worthy of recognition, I have a tendency to chuck in the odd quote from python sketches and it’s amazing how many people twig. You are right about times changing though, can you imagine the meltdown there would be for a sketch like this these days.......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2tkZ0u6Q-QM

It seems perverse that we could laugh at absurdity like this a mere 30 years after the war and yet 70 years later it’s verboten. God knows what these people would make of Doug and Dinsdale Piranha?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I like the sick and twisted type of comedy that Jim Jefferies used to do, he's calmed down a bit now, Anthony Jeselnik seems to piss off a lot of people, he's great.

Snowflakes may want to skip this one

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saw Jimi Jeffries a few times in the 00's. I really liked him but he's gone off the boil a bit now. I quite like angry comedy but only in small doses, JJ gets a bit tiring after about 40 mins and this shows in his live shows, about an hour in he looks bored and too drunk to care about getting a decent joke out. The first time we saw him at the Udderbelly he was great at first but the last 20 mins were a bungled slur which consisted of him asking what joke we wanted to hear, slurring, giggling to himiself and tring to light a fag onstage. The audience started to get restless and disinterested and most left before he staggered offstage muttering to himself. Half an hour would have been enough.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
And now a local lad. Lewes, I believe.
As an aside I saw Sean lock at Clair hall Haywards heath , I also saw shappi khorsandi as well , they have some quite good names there .

DavePage

Am I allowed to choose 25? from the croydon area maybe, never has a group of Comedians has given me more reason to hate or to split my sides over the years. Especially with a Prince and Princess, mixed marriage at the helm, they do look good together. Even their mannerisms match, they must be so close. Sitting majestically in their Palace that has to be said, is a Palace worthy of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here