spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Probably Alan Wares on Albion Roar

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Was very disappointed when I went to see Omid Djalili in stand up. Really REALLY crap.
Stewart Francis wasn't much better
Frankie Boyle was passable

Enjoyed the following though:
Frank Skinner
Milton Jones
Russell Howard
Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson (though my ex didn't laugh all night!)
Peter Kay

From the 90's, Chris Morris,Coogan as Partridge, Harry Enfield used to be brilliant (but Whitehouse and Higson et al on The Fast Show were better), and MWExperience was also good
From the 80's, Fry and Laurie, Smith and Jones, Blackadder all good. Eddie Murphy's live concert films were good.... I've never found Lenny Henry funny

For the oldies, Bob Monkhouse, Les Dawson, Sid James, Pete and Dud. I find Jim Bowen hilarious because he's not funny at all - it's car crash stuff!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Was very disappointed when I went to see Omid Djalili in stand up. Really REALLY crap.
Stewart Francis wasn't much better
Frankie Boyle was passable

Enjoyed the following though:
Frank Skinner
Milton Jones
Russell Howard
Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson (though my ex didn't laugh all night!)
Peter Kay
Coogan as Partridge

From the 90's, Harry Enfield used to be brilliant (but Whitehouse and Higson et al on The Fast Show were better), and MWExperience was also good
From the 80's, Fry and Laurie, Smith and Jones, Blackadder all good. Eddie Murphy's live concert films were good.... I've never found Lenny Henry funny

For the oldies, Bob Monkhouse, Les Dawson, Sid James. I find Jim Bowen hilarious because he's not funny at all - it's car crash stuff!

Not one female ?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Not one female ?

I'm not gonna lie - I honestly don't find female comedians that funny. French and Saunders are alright, and Victoria Wood had her moments.. but when watching Mock The Week or Have I Got News For You etc, their 'lines' are by and large not very funny.

Been to Komedia several times - same result. I'm sure it's a HUGE flaw of mine

My wife is quite funny though

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of people saying The Two Ronnies. I always found their shows a bit hit and miss.

I enjoyed the 'news' bits at the beginning and the end of the shows; I thought Ronnie Barker's literal monologues (involving Spooner, Malaprop et al) absolute genius, and some sketches quite funny.

Ronnie Corbett's 'joke in the chair' routine often fell flat - the references to the DG or the producer were the same every week, and you could see the punchline coming a mile off. The less said about the songs, the better.

Sure, they worked well as a double act, but it's no coincidence that Barker's solo work was far better than Corbett's. Sorry.

What you are basically saying is Ronnie Barker was a comedy genius, Ronnie Corbett wasn't.

If Barker hadn't been so fond of nom de plumes, instead having his actual name attached to the sketches he wrote, his name would be all over this thread.
As opposed to stand up comedians who rely heavily on a writing staff.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Loads, mentions for Peter Cook, Spike Milligan, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks and Stewart Lee. And Richard Herring :)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bill Hicks was god.

And, personally I love Eddie Izzard.

Each operated brilliantly at both ends of the fear spectrum. Bad comedians don't understand the meaning of fear or hatred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
One person more recent person who hasn't been mentioned is Rhod Gilbert. His stage shows were all very well crafted and funny but he hasn't done a tour since 2012 which is a great loss.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Through the ages...
Tommy Cooper
2 Ronnies
David Mitchell
Rhod Gilbert
Bill Bailey
Early Eddie Izzard
and 4 that havent been mentioned...
Rich Hll
Early Al Murray
Tim Minchin
Kevin Bridges

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Marty Feldman.
Tony Hancock.
Spike Milligan.

And solely for " I hate witttering. I hate all seaside towns." Hale and Pace. Remember them?

But can anyone beat Tommy Cooper?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Two I can't see mentioned:
Peter Sellers could be really funny in many ways, and for stand up comedy there was Brighton's Max Miller.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Saw Billy Connolly at the Brighton Dome many years ago. Absolute genius with his story telling and timing. Also enjoyed watching Dave Allen on tv back in the day

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I remember when Phil Cool was the best thing on telly.

I'd forgotten about Phil Cool. Just watched some of him on YouTube to remind myself, he was pretty good. Invariably made me laugh.

Stan Boardman had some good jokes too until that fateful day on Des O'Connor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here