Harry Seccombe
Barry Cryer who wrote jokes for others but could deliver himself
Morecambe & Wise
Roy Hudd
Tim Vine
Peter Kaye

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
What you are basically saying is Ronnie Barker was a comedy genius, Ronnie Corbett wasn't.

If Barker hadn't been so fond of nom de plumes, instead having his actual name attached to the sketches he wrote, his name would be all over this thread.
As opposed to stand up comedians who rely heavily on a writing staff.

I once attended a dinner at the Hilton when Ronnie Corbett was the 'cabaret' he was gash - at least 60% of those present adjourned to the bar !

Ronnie Barker was a class ( or two ) above, and, I am a Jock !

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Without going through the whole thread again, I can't remember seeing any mention of John Bishop.
I have got tickets to see him in Brighton next month, I hope he is good live.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Mark Watson for the drama and comedy provided on his last episode of the Island program. He thinks he comes out with honour, with a reason that does not define it as his weakness. Best laugh in ages.

Ps. His kids will eventually work out what a weak individual he is. He'll enjoy that I'm sure...:lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I saw Jerry Sadowitz once.

Not the funniest live act I've seen but the most memorable. He launched in to attack after attack on the various protected groups; he covered them all saying things that would give me a lifetime ban on here if I were to repeat them. Hecklers were spat at and then his pants were down and he was contorting and voicing his penis so that too continued the vile abuse. This was all juxtapositioned with the best live magic I've ever seen.

I'd decided I was not going to be offended prior to the show because that is what he is trying to do but he succeeded in offending some of my friends. The audience was constantly being tricked into laughing at things they shouldn't. I laughed a little but mostly it was disbelief as he ranted and raged and tried his best to be as offensive as possible.

I'd never watch him again but will always remember the show for it's shock value.
One of the few to 'call' Jimmy Saville whilst he was still alive:
https://youtu.be/Tr9iE4zN3_w

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Without going through the whole thread again, I can't remember seeing any mention of John Bishop.
I have got tickets to see him in Brighton next month, I hope he is good live.
Saw him last time he was at the Brighton Centre. Wasn't bad but have seen better (Dara O'Briain and Micky Flanagan locally for example).

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Never found Dara O Brien funny. Using the sound "uuuuh" as a punchline to every joke is not funny.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
You are spot on, my friend. I've never laughed so much whenever I've seen him. A total one-off!
Doug Stanhope is pretty good, too. I did see Bill Hicks at the Dome in the early 90s and he was a favourite for a while. Also, having a good think about it, I also loved Dave Allen.

I thought Stanhope would never get a mention. On from he's a genius.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Stanhope is very good indeed but is missed off my all time list because I find him too cynical and actually rather depressing.

Neil Hamburger is worth a look. His stuff is hard to find though.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
One person more recent person who hasn't been mentioned is Rhod Gilbert. His stage shows were all very well crafted and funny but he hasn't done a tour since 2012 which is a great loss.

I saw Rhod Gilbert at our much missed October comedy festival and he was absolutely brilliant...... right up until the end of the script and he came on for an encore.

It was shockingly bad. He came back out and just called out for the audience to shout out anything. The usual drunk unfunny comments, to which he couldn't respond and the whole gig nosedived and totally spoilt the event. My memory is now that crap ending rather than what was a brilliant show.

And then a couple of months later I saw the excellent Kevin Bridges at Hammersmith and exactly the same thing happened.

And the moral is: Please please don't try adlibbing if you're not a comedy genius without a brilliant script.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rhod Gilbert has done a couple of excellent stand up routines but his talent lies in his radio show and interaction with others like on his work experience show which is excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here