Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite ever comedian

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Rather like music so many different favourites across the thread. And as usual many names that I fail to see as funny but everyone is different.

My favouites

Tommy Cooper

Yes you've heard the joke hundreds of times before but I still laugh at all the routines around his magic tricks

Peter Cook

Either with Dudley or alone.

Milton Jones
Paul Merton

Eric and Ernie
Spike Milligan

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey. Ones which come to mind immediately are Tim Vine, Tommy Cooper, Jimmy Carr, Two Ronnies, Stewart Lee, Derek and Clive, Eddie Izzard . I liked Frankie Boyle but he went a bit off but I understand from a recent Edinburgh show he's back on form. I've never got any of the classic big US names (or any other nation for that matter), it's always been British for me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Bill Hicks at the time but he had limited output.
Ovearall I'd say in no significant order:
Billy Connolly
Jack Dee
Frank Skinner
David Mitchell
Sean Locke

And a mention corn Frankie Boyle who has had some outstanding moments.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh yes, Steve Coogan.
Simon Day is a man with funny bones too.
Frankie Howerd was always funny.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The funniest single set I ever saw was by Robin Williams. So quick and sharp.

Across a career? Got to be the Big Yin, I think.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I remember getting into Billy Connolly on cassette when I wasn't about 11. Most of it went over my head but I found him hilarious. Loved his travelogues too. Only saw him live once and that wasn't last year so doubt I will again. Will always have a soft spot for him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Funniest I have seen live is Alexei Sayle. Had me in stitches from the first minute.

A mention for Woody Allen's nightclub monologues from the early 60s and some of his early films before he became Ingmar Bergmann. "The moose came in second. The moose was furious."

(In the taxi) " She was so beautiful, I could hardly keep my eyes on the meter."

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My dad used to work at Gatwick in the 80’s, and still goes on to this day about how Ronnie Corbett and Jeremy Beadle were 'miserable sods'

I can’t recall why he thought this about Corbett, but I always thought it was a bit harsh on Beadle given the circumstances. Evidently one of my dad’s colleagues pranked the king prankster Beadle, by casually walking behind him as he entered the men's room, and proceeded to lock him in the toilet – as a consequence Beadle missed his flight and totally lost the plot with the security team.

One might think this is funny, but on the other hand…

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Richard Herring's personal storytelling in his sets him apart from most, I would say.

The funnist gig I ever saw, however, was delivered by Addy van der Borgh.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
In terms of standup, the ones i turn to when i need a laugh are:

Greg Davies
James Acaster
Anthony Jeselnik (who can be savage)
Mitch Hedberg
Tim Vine
Ross Noble
Izzard (as someone said, before he went too political)
Dara O'Briain
Bill Bailey

For sketch/panel shows:
Milton Jones
Rowan Atkinson
Mitchell & Webb

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Through the ages for me:

- Les Dawson and the Two Ronnies before I was a teenager.
- Hale and Pace and then Kenny Everett during puberty (haha).
- Bill Hicks mid teens.
- Harry Hill in my 20s (due to seeing him at Glastonbury 1995 four times, each hilarious).
- Phil Kay (not Peter) also due to Glastonbury - sometimes just not funny but so off the cuff always entertaining, love him.

With the exception of Hale and Pace the others have all stood the test of time, particularly agree with Les Dawson (and his piano playing).

Still love live stand up, to me it just doesn't transfer as well to tv/dvd viewing.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Depends mood I'm in.
In a good mood Les Dawson, Bob Newhart, Jackie Mason or Stephen Wright.
When a bit pissed off George Carlin.
So most of the time, George Carlin.

That said, the best I've seen live was probably Stewart Lee at the dome a little while back.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A lot of people saying The Two Ronnies. I always found their shows a bit hit and miss.

I enjoyed the 'news' bits at the beginning and the end of the shows; I thought Ronnie Barker's literal monologues (involving Spooner, Malaprop et al) absolute genius, and some sketches quite funny.

Ronnie Corbett's 'joke in the chair' routine often fell flat - the references to the DG or the producer were the same every week, and you could see the punchline coming a mile off. The less said about the songs, the better.

Sure, they worked well as a double act, but it's no coincidence that Barker's solo work was far better than Corbett's. Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here