Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you do with £123m

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
MS: "Hello, MrSnuggles here. I've just won 123 million pounds!!"
EW: "Where's the number for my divorce lawyer"
MS: "Here's the number, but she can't discuss anything with you, as she's my lawyer now."

But, in the current climate of retrospective claims based upon changing circumstances (depending upon how long ago the divorce was) I wouldn't be 100% confident that an ex wife wouldn't claim and possibly win a percentage of any lottery win.

In which case the lawyer would need to abide by the law.

Anyhow - let's focus on the positives.

My earlier list plus:

1. Either establish from scratch, or more realistically purchase my own vineyard
2. Go to Alaska and setup a small scale gold mining operation.
3. Many ski chalets all over the globe

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm quite the daydreamer and I was really going over the whole "how much would you give to family".

My brother is 28 and has really struggled over the years to nail down a permanent job but last year he did it and is really happy. He is now saving for a flat.

I wouldn't want to give him money and add any sort of rules to it as it would be his money to spend how he wishes, but I really wouldn't want to encourage him to 'retire' as I'm not sure that would help him.

But then I thought, if he won the money (123m!) and said "here's 1m to pay off your mortgage and do some over stuff" I would probably think "Seriously mate, give me £5m."

Again, I day dream.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I could then afford to drink in a pub or even Savannahs or Orange Sq in Haywards Heath. Could also afford to buy fish and chips in Kingfish, not that I would want to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But, in the current climate of retrospective claims based upon changing circumstances (depending upon how long ago the divorce was) I wouldn't be 100% confident that an ex wife wouldn't claim and possibly win a percentage of any lottery win.
Fair point. Giving money to family and friends without the ex finding out would be tricky though.

1. Either establish from scratch, or more realistically purchase my own vineyard
2. Go to Alaska and setup a small scale gold mining operation.
3. Many ski chalets all over the globe
Too much bloody work. Just travel around trying which wines you like the most, buy some gold, and go and stay at the nicest chalets. Sod running a load of them as a business (and leaving them empty most of the time would be a bad idea).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My brother is 28 and has really struggled over the years to nail down a permanent job but last year he did it and is really happy. He is now saving for a flat.

I wouldn't want to give him money and add any sort of rules to it as it would be his money to spend how he wishes, but I really wouldn't want to encourage him to 'retire' as I'm not sure that would help him.
I feel your pain. Have a chat with him explaining that his happiness is what you'd like, and that you're conscious that his job has made him happy, and giving it up may make him less happy, and let him know that you already transferred £5m into his account anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There would be an awful lot of shiny new expensive bikes winging there way around the roads of Sussex.
Plus a couple of mortgages paid.

The one downside would be the proliferation of 'sob stories' that end up on here as my MO becomes apparent.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
There would be an awful lot of shiny new expensive bikes winging there way around the roads of Sussex.
Plus a couple of mortgages paid.

The one downside would be the proliferation of 'sob stories' that end up on here as my MO becomes apparent.

I'm not sure we would be too patient with your sob stories after you won £100m+...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
This kind of a win is obscene I think.
More people would by tickets if they were to divide the total by 10 and have 10 prizes of 12.3 million.
Surely it would be better to spread it around, I'd be happy with that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'd never work again, that's for sure. I'd spend my free time playing golf and make sure I got to more away games.

But like many have said, travelling would be the main thing I'd do. I don't think I'd blow that money that quickly if I'm honest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think I'd blow that money that quickly if I'm honest.
If you can blow £130m quickly and still be alive to spend the last £££'s, you've done well my friend.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Apart from all the usual stuff to make our lives a lot more comfortable I would get a season ticket and I would hire a helicopter with pilot.
This means I could actually go to matches on a regular basis home and away and see my family in Sussex too.
Take off at Plymouth land in Shoreham and back by 8 pm, nice.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I could then afford to drink in a pub or even Savannahs or Orange Sq in Haywards Heath. Could also afford to buy fish and chips in Kingfish, not that I would want to.
Why change a habitat of a lifetime I am sure you would still be welcome at Wetherspoons.
Also you may even be able to join the 1901 or even a box at the Amex and you could get yourself a chauffeur driven car save you worrying about the buses. I am sure savannah would give you a loyalty card to give you discount on food and a sports card for drinks discount during televised sports events.:bigwave:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'd buy a massive brown field site, and turn it into the world's biggest go-kart track. I'd also turn as much of it 'green' as possible. I'd open it to the public, free of charge provided they give 5 hours to a community/charity project first. Races would have up to 20 karts each, for pure mayhem. I'd have leagues and everything. I'd have the fastest kart (ahem).

On days when it's not open to the public, I'd just get mates over and have a ruddy good time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm so tight I think I'd just buy a house and just live off the interest ....carry on working; but only for the fun of it!
Boring AF I know!

The interest would be quite substantial. At 2% pa you'd got £2.4m from £120m - minus tax - you'd still have about £1.5M per year.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'd buy a massive brown field site, and turn it into the world's biggest go-kart track. I'd also turn as much of it 'green' as possible. I'd open it to the public, free of charge provided they give 5 hours to a community/charity project first. Races would have up to 20 karts each, for pure mayhem. I'd have leagues and everything. I'd have the fastest kart (ahem).

On days when it's not open to the public, I'd just get mates over and have a ruddy good time.

Good call, I love karting.
We have a few down here both indoors and out but what I don't like is how tight and twisty they are, I would build one with a longish straight and some wide sweeping corners to make it easier to overtake.
My metalwork teacher at my secondary school built his own racing karts in the workshop and we used to have a go in the playground after school, great fun.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr just asked me the same question, I replied:-

'Buy lots of Haribo TangFastics'.

and I stand by that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If you can blow £130m quickly and still be alive to spend the last £££'s, you've done well my friend.

I think you'd be surprised. A skiing villa in the French Alps, a mansion by a Portuguese golf course or two, a property in London, Barcelona, Rome.... a yacht somewhere... I think it'd be quite easy to blow £130m if you really wanted to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you'd be surprised. A skiing villa in the French Alps, a mansion by a Portuguese golf course or two, a property in London, Barcelona, Rome.... a yacht somewhere... I think it'd be quite easy to blow £130m if you really wanted to.
One man's 'blow that money' is another's 'extensive property portfolio'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here