Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pet insurance recommendations

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Another thumbs up for Tesco here. I had to claim £1700 last month, in two whacks, no problem at all.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
This thread has been an eye-opener. I really had no idea that 'pet insurance' was a thing. I guess I've led sheltered life. What will they think of next?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Went with Healthy Pets. Seem to be fine.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tescos around £6 a month paid out recently when Ava, our cat, was attacked and bitten badly no quibbles

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
More Than were excellent over an £1800 bill; went out of their way to make claiming easy. Their premium stayed roughly the same the following year but shot up this year and I had to move away - they were nearly three times the average.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
My cat was insured for 10 years with tesco @£7 a month. I cancelled a couple of years back. Anything happens & its euthanasia
I was sort of the same with my dog. Cancelled after 14 years with no claims. I knew she was on her last legs anyway, sadly.
A couple of months later I lost her.

Anyway, I heard a tale of a bloke who also lost his dog and didn't realise he was still paying for insurance by DD for said dog for over 3 years. Insurance company did not refund his payments.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm pretty sure it was Petplan who left us having to buy hundreds of pounds (sterling, not weight) of insulin a month for the cat.
Friend has a Border Collie insured with Petplan. The dog has hemophilia (it can't stop bleeding). People with the condition can (I think) take regular medicine to thicken their blood, it seems that dogs can't. If the dog bangs into something and gets a bruise, it's a huge problem as it won't stop bleeding internally, and needs surgery. It's had surgery a couple of times so far, and will no doubt need many more trips to the vet. Under Petplan, it will always be covered, and I'm told the insurance won't go up because of it. I was quite impressed.

That obviously doesn't match your experience though.

el punal

Any recommendations for pet insurance before I start trawling t'internets?

I'm not particularly interested in "XXX were the cheapest we could find" unless you've actually had to go through some sort of claim and they were decent, didn't quibble and paid out.

Having had a cat who got stupidly ill but lived on for ages, I'm aware how expensive it can become if the insurer stops paying out for treatment and/or drugs at a certain level.

It's for a Labrador should that make any difference.

Thanks in advance and all that jazz.

My advice? Don't mess about with "cheap" insurance that lacks cover on certain conditions. We have a boxer who has recently had a cruciate ligament operation on her hind leg. The cost of the operation was £3000 and she is now receiving hydrotherapy treatment. All of this is covered by our pet insurance policy which is provided by a well known national retail establishment (clue? - they do the wonderful Christmas TV commercials, adored by everyone, like the boxer on the trampoline!)

The cost of our insurance works out at £58.00 a month on direct debit. Well worth it for all the unconditional love we get back from our lovely, loony pooch!

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Sainsbury's for our dog, have made claims and paid without any quibbles at all, i also know they are pretty good on paying out on Labradors with their known hip problems that seem to be a common problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here