Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Bournemouth vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
The major concern as I see it is that CH has said he wasnt pleased with the result but he was with the performance. The people I have spoken to all say the performance was a disgrace by nearly everybody playing for us.

Krul, Schelotto, Goldson, Uwe, Molumby and Hutchinson were good.
Rosenior, Bong and Izquierdo were alright.
Murphy and Skalak were bad.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The major concern as I see it is that CH has said he wasnt pleased with the result but he was with the performance. The people I have spoken to all say the performance was a disgrace by nearly everybody playing for us.

I heard some moans on the way home last night, such as the worst game they've ever seen us play. Really? I know for a fact these people went to Gillingham, and I've seen us play far worse at Withdean.
People moan when we lose a game, and tend to go over the top as though the hyperbole makes it more dramatic. I would take a lot of those moans with a great chunk of salt.
I even heard one person say, I've lost a lot of respect for Chris Hughton for that performance.

What a load of complete nonsense.
We weren't that bad.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really do think it's time to stop bashing Smug Eddie and accept that the guy has got a lot right.

He's taken Bournemouth up with an attacking brand of football and he has kept them there.

What we need to do is acclimatise and learn how to become more of an attacking side. We are defensive right now and it's a philosophy that has done us well to date, but we're not going to survive in the top flight on defence alone.

We also have to accept that there are no magic strikers out there - not that we can afford. So with no magic bullet, it's up to coaching our team to get on the front foot faster; to push up the field faster. We need to be fit and pacey. We have a great back 4, let's trust in them more. Fewer sideways and backward passes from our midfield - more forward balls into the space where our pacey players should be running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good points.

Quite a few PL clubs set two CM'ers shielding the back four, giving extra security.

Still leaving 4 attack minded players to give a goals threat, leaving opponents with plenty to worry about.

The Newcastle game will tell the fans a lot. A vital three home points and CH has worked wonders with meagre resources.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Didn't sound that bad on the Radio and the highlights were ok with some good performances. Schelotto looked useful and a better replacement for Bruno than Rosenior and playing 3 at the back allowed him more freedom to attack. Jose will prove to be good for us and Molumby and Hutchinson did more right than wrong and might be needed with our midfield shortage.

It was always going to be just a good run out for players needing match fitness so there was more good than bad from the game.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Why do you think deals fell through because we didn't pay the going rate? I read about a failed medical, and another striker withheld by his club, because of a team mate's injury, but not that we refused to pay the going rate (whatever that is)

Didn't we refuse to pay the extra £1 million that Abraham wanted for family or agent ? Nobody wants us bankrupt but u get what u pay for if we've only willing to pay about £45,000 then u end up with nothing . How much are bmuff paying Defoe a week . We could of bought woods for what we payed for the Columbian

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Yes I agree 4 of us there last night and said if that's the best the second string have got then we r ****ed no striker in squad embarrassing

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Didn't we refuse to pay the extra £1 million that Abraham wanted for family or agent ? Nobody wants us bankrupt but u get what u pay for if we've only willing to pay about £45,000 then u end up with nothing . How much are bmuff paying Defoe a week . We could of bought woods for what we payed for the Columbian

1. Why should we pay a bribe to a player's family and he was always going to play for Paul Clement.
2. Defoe was always going back to Bournemouth, in the same way that Bobby Zamora promised he would finish his career with us.
3. We were never interested in Woods, because we needed a pacy counter attacking player, not a target man.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Did they even go to the Barnet game? That was a lot worse

Of course they did, and I agree. As I said, some fans just like the sound of their own voices, and coming out with such phrases just makes it sound much more dramatic, and look at me!

Yes I agree 4 of us there last night and said if that's the best the second string have got then we r ****ed no striker in squad embarrassing

Yes, we had Tilley on the bench, but Murray is still recovering from injury, Hemed has to be kept for league games and Baldock is way off returning. Are you going to risk a striker like Tilley in a poxy little cup game?
As I said earlier, there wasn't all this whinging and whining last year, when we got knocked out by Reading in exactly the same way, in the third round. The League cup isn't something we're going to win, so why risk players.
We got knocked out of the FA cup by a non league team, but last season wasn't so bad was it?

Newcastle on Sunday is far more important.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good points.

Quite a few PL clubs set two CM'ers shielding the back four, giving extra security.

Still leaving 4 attack minded players to give a goals threat, leaving opponents with plenty to worry about.

The Newcastle game will tell the fans a lot. A vital three home points and CH has worked wonders with meagre resources.

I agree with the post you're responding to, and your comment. It does feel significant how we play on Sunday and to what extent we're going for the three points, and how CH regards the Amex in terms of how we play and, more importantly, how many points (for which, read wins) he expects we'll get at home over the season. At Bournemouth on Friday, I was disappointed with how we played when we went behind: two big men up-top, with Duffy (who didn't demonstrate he had much footballing nous in that game) thrown in for good measure.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I get really cheesed off by comments like this.
All the matches matter and we have to start taking risks or we will deserve everything we get.
We are far too defensive and seem scared of any opposition.
Terribly frustrating, let off the leash against WBA, then reeled back in again.
How can anybody be happy with that, it must even grate the more competitive players, they must feel gelded.

In our first season in the Premier League, we're not going to have assembled a squad deep enough to win either Cup. So what were we playing for at Bournemouth? A chance for a 'big' glamour tie against Arsenal or Chelsea reserves? That might have been something to look forward to in any previous season but as we'll be playing the real deal twice this year anyway it's an irrelevance. Longer term it'd be great to have a Cup run. This year the club needs to stay up, and anything that jeopardises that is not worth the risk.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In our first season in the Premier League, we're not going to have assembled a squad deep enough to win either Cup. So what were we playing for at Bournemouth? A chance for a 'big' glamour tie against Arsenal or Chelsea reserves? That might have been something to look forward to in any previous season but as we'll be playing the real deal twice this year anyway it's an irrelevance. Longer term it'd be great to have a Cup run. This year the club needs to stay up, and anything that jeopardises that is not worth the risk.

Bournemouth have got a glamour tie with Middlesbrough for their efforts.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
1. Why should we pay a bribe to a player's family and he was always going to play for Paul Clement.
2. Defoe was always going back to Bournemouth, in the same way that Bobby Zamora promised he would finish his career with us.
3. We were never interested in Woods, because we needed a pacy counter attacking player, not a target man.

3. Well I know where I would of rather spent my money proven goal scorer not done bad has he since the step up
2 . Defoe might of always been going back but that’s the going rate for a striker that knows where the goal is
1 that extra million seems small fry now to what we have paid out

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Of course they did, and I agree. As I said, some fans just like the sound of their own voices, and coming out with such phrases just makes it sound much more dramatic, and look at me!

Yes, we had Tilley on the bench, but Murray is still recovering from injury, Hemed has to be kept for league games and Baldock is way off returning. Are you going to risk a striker like Tilley in a poxy little cup game?
As I said earlier, there wasn't all this whinging and whining last year, when we got knocked out by Reading in exactly the same way, in the third round. The League cup isn't something we're going to win, so why risk players.
We got knocked out of the FA cup by a non league team, but last season wasn't so bad was it?

Newcastle on Sunday is far more important.

Yes I would of played Tilley as he will not get any first team time this season . Last year we weren’t near the bottom . You say why risk players then why bother putting on march and knocky when it obviously didn’t matter

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

We played the cup game exactly the same way we play the league games and if Chris wasn't trying to win why even make the substitutions.
We play too defensively and too deep.
I'd rather go down with 10 points fight than 10 points defending.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here