Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Visting the Goldstone Ground

What's your stance of visiting the Goldstone now?

• Not bothered - I shop there without any problems

Votes: 76 37.1%
  • Now we have Falmer I will visit the site

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Now we have Falmer I will at least drive past

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • I have never and will never shop there

Votes: 68 33.2%
  • I will never ever even go past The Goldstone - that's how much it hurts

Votes: 18 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Morning NSC

You may have come across the short Sky Sports video that Brett Mendoza, who I don't think posts on here anymore, was involved in, documenting his love for the Albion, and where we've come from (in his lifetime as a supporter).

One section includes him being interviewed in the car park of what was once the Goldstone Ground, for which he's come under some criticism on social media for doing.

It got me thinking - I know that many Albion fans will never step foot on the site, but others were waiting until we got Falmer... which camp are you in?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am in the camp, shit happened, move on and do whatever you want to do

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't shop there as I've no reason to. But if I wanted something they sold there, I'd go, no probs.

The loss of the Goldstone is in no way whatsoever the fault of the retailers that now occupy the site. What's the point?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No problem driving past but no intention to shop there, its sacred ground

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Won't set foot there, never will.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have been there ( kid's toys ! ) but it was only after we got final planning permission. I purposely overstayed as well just to get a ticket and wind up the private ticketing company ( well it amused me anyway ! ).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't go back for a number of years even though I lived locally. Mainly as it was upsetting. But it's all turned out fine so I'd have no issue shopping there.... if they sold anything I would buy.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Didn't even so much as look at the place for years after the last game. Then we had a child and he eventually found out there is a Toys R Us in Brighton after all. :(

Of course I never miss an opportunity to school him on the hallowed ground he is walking on as he peruses the aisles of Star Wars and Marvel figures. :albion2:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Never understood fans that boycott it especially as we now have the Amex.

To give a fellow fan stick now is pretty poor and likely to be keyboard warriors / trolls.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Been there plenty of times when there was a Comets or a Currys, in fact I think I bought my last TV there. Whats done is done, we came through it, and just look at us now. Going there now or driving past it does not affect my memories of it when it was the Goldstone, they're still all safely stored in my mental hard-drive. Nobody can take that away. Not until I go senile anyway.

Yoda

English & European
Don't have the need to shop there but if I did, it wouldn't bother me too much (there'll always be a small part me that thinks its wrong). Like the time I was at Hove Park and needed to get something from the sports shop that was there at the time 13-14 years ago.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
My ex wife took my son there to toys are us, not long after it opened, he was about 7 i think (my god, how time flies!) He refused to go in and sat in the car, mum was furious, got home had a go at me, i just laughed, tussled his hair and said "well done son" :lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I walked out of the back of the North Stand after the Doncaster game, and couldn't bring myself to look back. I have never so much as been past on the Old Shoreham Road since. If I go through Hove on the train, I have to look South, the park is a no-go area, and I avert my gaze if I'm heading down Sackville Road.

I was a mess of diversions to avoid the area for many years, saying I would never be able to bring myself to go past (shopping there is an obvious NO) until we were back in Brighton, in a shiny new stadium. But now we are, I no longer live in the area, and it's just so easy to avoid that part of town, that I continue to do so.

I have no plans for that to change.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Morning NSC

You may have come across the short Sky Sports video that Brett Mendoza, who I don't think posts on here anymore, was involved in, documenting his love for the Albion, and where we've come from (in his lifetime as a supporter).

One section includes him being interviewed in the car park of what was once the Goldstone Ground, for which he's come under some criticism on social media for doing.

It got me thinking - I know that many Albion fans will never step foot on the site, but others were waiting until we got Falmer... which camp are you in?

Is it not more poignancy here whereas how many of us give Wickes our 'hard earned' for some wallpaper paste or pack of screws?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I walked out of the back of the North Stand after the Doncaster game, and couldn't bring myself to look back. I have never so much as been past on the Old Shoreham Road since. If I go through Hove on the train, I have to look South, the park is a no-go area, and I avert my gaze if I'm heading down Sackville Road.

I was a mess of diversions to avoid the area for many years, saying I would never be able to bring myself to go past (shopping there is an obvious NO) until we were back in Brighton, in a shiny new stadium. But now we are, I no longer live in the area, and it's just so easy to avoid that part of town, that I continue to do so.

I have no plans for that to change.

same.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I worked there for a long long time whilst studying, does that count?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here