Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Visting the Goldstone Ground

What's your stance of visiting the Goldstone now?

• Not bothered - I shop there without any problems

Votes: 76 37.1%
  • Now we have Falmer I will visit the site

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Now we have Falmer I will at least drive past

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • I have never and will never shop there

Votes: 68 33.2%
  • I will never ever even go past The Goldstone - that's how much it hurts

Votes: 18 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Toys r us when I was a kid, burger king when I was a teen, dfs when I was an adult.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I avoided it for years, never driving past, averting my eyes on the train etc like many other posters. The old man was driving me once when we were late for something and went that way - I had a bit of a panic attack and never forgave him. I have however been to buy a sofa recently but could only bring myself to go there because we now have the Amex. I think a lot of my emotions regarding the site are to do with the friends we lost there and the crap we went through at the end.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I've been shopping there but was also involved in obtaining the Heritage Memorial board across the road in Hove Park. It was unveiled the day the Amex opened.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
I avoided it for years, never driving past, averting my eyes on the train etc like many other posters. The old man was driving me once when we were late for something and went that way - I had a bit of a panic attack and never forgave him. I have however been to buy a sofa recently but could only bring myself to go there because we now have the Amex. I think a lot of my emotions regarding the site are to do with the friends we lost there and the crap we went through at the end.

However did they get away with it,
Please recall my memory didn't Chartwell buy it for some ridiculous figure like 8M to then go and sell it the following year for 20 plus. .Surely Archer and his sidekick Belloti must have been in with Chartwell thus reaping a tidy little profit for themselves the following year..

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Been there many times, from toys r us to nandos, needs must, especially nandos!

Will never forget though.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I walked out of the back of the North Stand after the Doncaster game, and couldn't bring myself to look back. I have never so much as been past on the Old Shoreham Road since. If I go through Hove on the train, I have to look South, the park is a no-go area, and I avert my gaze if I'm heading down Sackville Road.

I was a mess of diversions to avoid the area for many years, saying I would never be able to bring myself to go past (shopping there is an obvious NO) until we were back in Brighton, in a shiny new stadium. But now we are, I no longer live in the area, and it's just so easy to avoid that part of town, that I continue to do so.

I have no plans for that to change.

My feelings are similar to this, but as I never lived in Brighton or Hove I had no need to purposely avoid the area. I think I may have driven (or been driven) past the site once, a number of years ago, but I averted my gaze as I had little inclination to see the site as it is now. In my mind's eye the Goldstone Ground is still as I remember it from hundreds of visits, and I'm in no rush to overwrite that memory.

Jan 30, 2008
:lol:Nice one.

Iv'e been back there several times since but can understand some peoples anger. disgusting how it all happened.
You don't seem to hear of Archer and Belloti these days, I wonder how the pair of c*nts are doing.
having nightmares about selling the Goldstone :D
regards
DR

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Full disclosure - I was also in that programme (in the pub, not at the Goldstone and for about three seconds). The whole point was to show "our journey" and Sky and Carling made the final edits, not Brett (which is why there's 3 seconds of me, I have a good face for radio). I think it's much more important that our full story is told to a wider audience now we're PL.

Personally I've stood in the car park of the Goldstone waiting for a lift from park run to football training and I know my wife has almost certainly been to Toys R Us, but I've never spent any of my own money there. I can walk past it without averting eyes though, in fact given I run in hove park sometimes it's impossible not to.

I don't think Brett deserves stick for filming there either. In fact, I hope what fans of other teams will think is "what a bland monstrosity, would've been much better as a football ground".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I do, however, take issue with Brett calling it "a ramshackle". No need for the 'a' Brettles, dear boy xx

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Full disclosure - I was also in that programme (in the pub, not at the Goldstone and for about three seconds). The whole point was to show "our journey" and Sky and Carling made the final edits, not Brett (which is why there's 3 seconds of me, I have a good face for radio). I think it's much more important that our full story is told to a wider audience now we're PL.

Personally I've stood in the car park of the Goldstone waiting for a lift from park run to football training and I know my wife has almost certainly been to Toys R Us, but I've never spent any of my own money there. I can walk past it without averting eyes though, in fact given I run in hove park sometimes it's impossible not to.

I don't think Brett deserves stick for filming there either. In fact, I hope what fans of other teams will think is "what a bland monstrosity, would've been much better as a football ground".

I haven't seen the programme, what is it called?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Said it loads of times... When the Freeholder/Leaseholder(s) (or both) build a proper monument to the Goldstone and the 95/6 years of history of BHAFC - then I will happily shop there. A £250 sign in Hove Park just doesn't do it for me. It's completely disrespectful on so many levels.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've always shopped there, just being pragmatic. The retailers and current freeholder are untainted by the two RELATED land deals 20 years ago.

I know a Brighton based Spurs s/t holder who has always refused to shop there, due to the theft of a fellow club's ground.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm protecting the last memory I had - midnight, moonlit having driven back from Hereford. Drove down, parked, got out and stood there on the Old Shoreham Road outside the North Stand. Took it all in, said goodbye and have never driven past since. 20 years ago now obviously and it's still 1997 in my memory bank and that's how it will remain until my dying breath.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I do, however, take issue with Brett calling it "a ramshackle". No need for the 'a' Brettles, dear boy xx

Was he even alive then though? Can be excused as being in nappies and not knowing any better perhaps? But yes, disrespectful albeit unintentionally.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Never been back or driven past, easier I guess living 30 miles away. I was travelling in Australia in our last season there, and I'm slightly ashamed as I can't remember the last game I was at the Goldstone. I never have spent a penny in Wickes though, even though I know that wa**er hasn't owned it for years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here