Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toys'R'us

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Airfix models was my thing. Such a big part of a Saturday morning was looking around in Gamleys to see if you had saved enough pocket money for the new Lockheed Starfighter or something. Luckily I had a son and could re-live it all again. Now he's grown up I need a grandson.

I didn't do Airfix models myself(my borther did) but did enjoy browsing the selection on offer. It was more about WW2 planes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1. My cloth was never folded away for ages. If I went 24 hours, I had probably been laid up in bed sick.
2. Of course, the iron! Without access to the iron, you'd have had no chance recovering that situation.

I'm feeling slightly teary at the childhood delights you have missed out on.

Worry ye not. I had the best collection of Action Man and Action Man vehicles in Sussex and Surrey. Tanks, helicoptors, jeeps, Space Ranger (with the rubber suit). I even had the bearded black one, he was a mean mutha. Then the Star Wars merchandise started coming out...

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I don't know if it's actually ironic, but isn't it funny how 20 years ago we were in danger of going out of business and they took advantage of that by setting up on the Goldstone site. Now 20 years on and we're in arguably the strongest position the club has ever been in and they look like they're going out of business. Funny how things work out.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Worry ye not. I had the best collection of Action Man and Action Man vehicles in Sussex and Surrey. Tanks, helicoptors, jeeps, Space Ranger (with the rubber suit). I even had the bearded black one, he was a mean mutha. Then the Star Wars merchandise started coming out...

Never much of an Action Man child. Always felt a bit like playing with dolls to me. But Star Wars merchandise, I had loads of it. I do wonder how much it would all be worth now, if I'd kept hold of it somehow.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't know if it's actually ironic, but isn't it funny how 20 years ago we were in danger of going out of business and they took advantage of that by setting up on the Goldstone site. Now 20 years on and we're in arguably the strongest position the club has ever been in and they look like they're going out of business. Funny how things work out.

Would probably be more ironic if it effected the European operations

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Never much of an Action Man child. Always felt a bit like playing with dolls to me. But Star Wars merchandise, I had loads of it. I do wonder how much it would all be worth now, if I'd kept hold of it somehow.

You mean you never strapped that parachute on an Action Man and hurled it as high as you could from your upstairs bedroom window, expecting it to unfurl and float your eagle-eyed soldier gently and stealthily down onto the grass of your garden below, only to see him plunge like a stone with the chute wrapped all round him ? Then spent 20 minutes untangling all the strings and running upstairs to have another go ?

You haven't lived.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You mean you never strapped that parachute on an Action Man and hurled it as high as you could from your upstairs bedroom window, expecting it to unfurl and float your eagle-eyed soldier gently and stealthily down onto the grass of your garden below, only to see him plunge like a stone with the chute wrapped all round him ? Then spent 20 minutes untangling all the strings and running upstairs to have another go ?

You haven't lived.

Oh God YEAH! But I didn't keep going back to that idea, as the "plunge like a stone" followed by the 20 minute untangling did rather put me off. Tried a few times, but it just never unfurled to resemble the picture on the box, and I went back to kicking a ball, flicking a Subbuteo man, or convincing myself I was Kirk Stevens on my 4ft by 2ft pot black table.

Ah, memories.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh God YEAH! But I didn't keep going back to that idea, as the "plunge like a stone" followed by the 20 minute untangling did rather put me off. Tried a few times, but it just never unfurled to resemble the picture on the box, and I went back to kicking a ball, flicking a Subbuteo man, or convincing myself I was Kirk Stevens on my 4ft by 2ft pot black table.

Ah, memories.

Oh blimey now you're talking, I LOVED my snooker table.

One of the happiest days of my life was when my sister got married and moved out, thus vacating her room. That Christmas I got a 6 foot table permanently installed in her old room, and pretty much spent every evening on it either on my billy, or with a couple of mates. Snooker, pool, or just dicking about. Bloody marvellous.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Its my wish that I have my ashes scattered at the Toys R Us checkout at 5pm on the last Saturday before Xmas (apparently leading into their busiest hour's trading of the year) causing the store to be closed.

Bit of an anti climax if they follow suit with their US wing.:down:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

You haven't lived.

That's probably why I didn't have an Action Man...........

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I really tried to like Subbuteo, but could just never get on with it. The giant ball looked shite next to the players, and the creases in the cloth sent it all over the shop. Rubbish representation of the game.

Lego though, oh my. I was ADDICTED to the Space Lego, loved it.

You should have moved away from the league football and moved to the world cup football which was smaller.
It was also ahead of its time, if you used the crouching goalkeeper and the world cup nets, its Matty Ryan or Nicky Rust in goal.

So many hours of fun playing Subbuteo.

I note you had no access to an iron, but why not pin the pitch to a board, so much better. Alternatively use books to smooth out the pitch.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hate Toys 'r' Us and haven't used them since they introduced their policy of treating everyone as criminals when they enter the store, and banning the carrying of bags around the store.
As soon as I came across this, we walked back out of the store immediately and have not returned to one since.

If you don't treat customers well or fairly don't be surprised if the footfall drops

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The carpet was fine it was the cloth, which after being folded up in the box for ages, always had big long creases in it. I wasn't allowed to use the iron in cased somebody phoned.

Should have been stapled to a bit of hardboard and leaned against the wall. Football pitch on the front. Rugby pitch on the back. I never had the cricket, but did manage to invent a version of Grid Iron using the rugby players and middle distance running with subbuteo players, dice and the Monopoly board. Ovett, in his blue and white stripes, always won (Yes I cheated).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I used to play Subbuteo with a group of friends every summer - every year would be a world cup year as well.

My friend Sam has a massive collection of teams as well, over 100 if I recall - he was also very artistic and painted bespoke teams; so he had an all time (at the time) best BHAFC team, all painted like the players in question, and oddly a Palace team with the likes of Che Guevara, Stalin, Enver Hoxha, Vince Hillaire and Henry 'F@cking' Hughton amongst others.

He also had international teams and I won the World Cup 2 years running with Holland.

He had his pitch on a board which was stored under his bed, so it was always ready to go. Great memories.

My own subbuteo pitch is in its original box on top of my wardrobe, and I must get it down and teach the kids!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41316205

The move casts a shadow over the future of the company's nearly 1,600 stores and 64,000 employees

Snip

"Our objective is to work with our debt holders and other creditors to restructure the $5bn of long-term debt on our balance sheet, which will provide us with greater financial flexibility to invest in our business," said chief executive Dave Brandon

Even on the assumption that the number of stores quoted is just the USA figure, that's a staggering amount of debt per store. I can't believe anyone would risk more money trying to recover from that!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I really tried to like Subbuteo, but could just never get on with it. The giant ball looked shite next to the players

Not if you got the Dean Cox edition, it didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here