Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toys'R'us

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41316205

Toys 'R' Us has filed for bankruptcy protection in the US and Canada as it attempts to restructure its debts.

The retailer was once a dominant player in the US toy market, but has struggled against larger rivals such as Amazon, Walmart and Target.

The move casts a shadow over the future of the company's nearly 1,600 stores and 64,000 employees.

The firm's operations in Australia and Europe and a joint venture in Asia are not part of the bankruptcy proceedings.

Not child's play

The bankruptcy filing is more evidence that traditional retailers are struggling in the US, as online retailers continue to capture market share.

GlobalData Retail estimates that in 2016 about 13.7% of all toy sales were made online, up from 6.5% five years ago.

"The past decade has seen a dramatic change in the domestic toy market with new channels, increased competition, and new technology all having a deleterious impact on the sector and traditional toy stores. Unfortunately, Toys 'R' Us has not responded effectively to these challenges," said Neil Saunders, the GlobalData Retail managing director.

Toys 'R' Us said the majority of its stores around the world remained profitable, and would continue to operate as normal through the holiday period, which is when they do most of their business.

But the company is also looking to online sales to secure its future, with recently launched web stores for its products.

New financing

Toys 'R' Us wants to use the bankruptcy process to restructure and make the company viable over the long term.

Enormous debt levels are its most immediate problem.

Various lenders, including a JPMorgan-led bank syndicate and some of the company's existing lenders, have committed more than $3bn in new financing to turn the company around.

"A combination of high debt and severe structural changes in the industry created a toxic mix against which Toys 'R' Us had little choice but to restructure and try to put itself on a firmer footing," said Mr Saunders.

However, the company says the new financing will improve the company's financial health and support its operations during the court-supervised bankruptcy process.

"Our objective is to work with our debt holders and other creditors to restructure the $5bn of long-term debt on our balance sheet, which will provide us with greater financial flexibility to invest in our business," said chief executive Dave Brandon

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Worst shop ever they need to ban screaming kids.

I'm not sure your business model for a toy shop without kids (you cannot avoid them screaming from time to time) is going to work. I'd be very surprised if this turns out to be the trick that Toys 'R' Us missed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I used to LOVE being taken to Gamleys as a kid to browse around and choose a new game or toy, even though sometimes, yes, I'm sure I'd scream (spoilt brat that I was). Just another example of the internet killing off another little part of childhood I suppose.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The company is looking at online sales as it's future.

If it is only looking now might as well not bother and turn the lights off..

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The company is looking at online sales as it's future.

If it is only looking now might as well not bother and turn the lights off..

Makes you wonder what salary their Strategy Director earns with that nugget

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I used to LOVE being taken to Gamleys as a kid to browse around and choose a new game or toy, even though sometimes, yes, I'm sure I'd scream (spoilt brat that I was). Just another example of the internet killing off another little part of childhood I suppose.

Same here. I loved there Subbuteo and Lego selection

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
US bankruptcy protection isn't quite the same as administration in this country, it means your creditors cant come after you for a while. that said, writing has to be on the wall, if it isnt competing its not going to last long. in this country, its up against amazon and ebay with home delivery and Argos in every market town, i've used them once for a special offer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I really tried to like Subbuteo, but could just never get on with it. The giant ball looked shite next to the players, and the creases in the cloth sent it all over the shop. Rubbish representation of the game.

Lego though, oh my. I was ADDICTED to the Space Lego, loved it.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
US bankruptcy protection isn't quite the same as administration in this country, it means your creditors cant come after you for a while. that said, writing has to be on the wall, if it isnt competing its not going to last long. in this country, its up against amazon and ebay with home delivery and Argos in every market town, i've used them once for a special offer.

Isn't almost every US airline operating under the same conditions?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I really tried to like Subbuteo, but could just never get on with it. The giant ball looked shite next to the players, and the creases in the cloth sent it all over the shop. Rubbish representation of the game.

More a reflection of the weft of your carpet. I LOVED Subbuteo :O

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Airfix models was my thing. Such a big part of a Saturday morning was looking around in Gamleys to see if you had saved enough pocket money for the new Lockheed Starfighter or something. Luckily I had a son and could re-live it all again. Now he's grown up I need a grandson.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't hold out much hope for their on-line shop,either.Never got anything in stock.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
More a reflection of the weft of your carpet. I LOVED Subbuteo :O

Did you know Harry that Subbuteo was named after a bird of prey - the Eurasian Hobby. Latin name Falco Subbuteo.

Not a lot of people know that.

Apparently the inventor just wanted the game to be called 'Hobby' but was refused a trademark logo and all that on that word.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Makes you wonder what salary their Strategy Director earns with that nugget

A bit like Debenhams admitting they need to become more like John Lewis. No shit but you're a bit too late

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How many more companies do we need to go to the wall in order to get the Goldstone site back?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

You just didn't invest the time and effort, sir. You needed the right carpet, you had to take care of the cloth. Subbuteo was a MASSIVE part of my childhood - and I blush to say, my collection is still growing. I still get a buzz when I buy an old team on Ebay, and it arrives, all carefully wrapped up. Seeing those little men, all carefully painted, as I gently lift the lid. Oh yes, the years just fall away.

I chuffing LOVE Subbuteo.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The carpet was fine it was the cloth, which after being folded up in the box for ages, always had big long creases in it. I wasn't allowed to use the iron in cased somebody phoned.

1. My cloth was never folded away for ages. If I went 24 hours, I had probably been laid up in bed sick.
2. Of course, the iron! Without access to the iron, you'd have had no chance recovering that situation.

I'm feeling slightly teary at the childhood delights you have missed out on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here