Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does Rupert The Bear wear checked trousers?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
to match his scarf

why does Mickey Mouse wear white gloves?

WALT DISNEY was pushed into creating Mickey Mouse by the fact that he had just lost the rights to an earlier character, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Apart from the ears and tail the early Mickey is remarkably similar to Oswald and, like him, had no shoes and no gloves. In Plane Crazy, made as a silent film in l928 and released later with sound, Mickey is barefooted and barehanded. Gallopin' Gaucho (again silent, l928) sees Mickey in shoes for the first time and he kept them on for Steamboat Willie. The gloves came, I think, with either The Barn Dance (l928) or The Opry House (l929). As for the gloves, here's an explanation from Walt himself:'We didn't want him to have mouse hands, because he was supposed to be more human. So we gave him gloves. Five Fingers looked like too much on such a little figure, so we took one away. That was just one less finger to animate.' A very down-to-earth approach. And if you put gloves on a cartoon character, you don't have to animate all those wrinkles and lines. Incidentally, there's a similar evolutionary path that can be traced to the emergence of Bugs Bunny's gloves in A Wild Hare, Tex Avery's l94O cartoon that gave us the classic phrase, 'What's Up Doc?'

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
WALT DISNEY was pushed into creating Mickey Mouse by the fact that he had just lost the rights to an earlier character, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Apart from the ears and tail the early Mickey is remarkably similar to Oswald and, like him, had no shoes and no gloves. In Plane Crazy, made as a silent film in l928 and released later with sound, Mickey is barefooted and barehanded. Gallopin' Gaucho (again silent, l928) sees Mickey in shoes for the first time and he kept them on for Steamboat Willie. The gloves came, I think, with either The Barn Dance (l928) or The Opry House (l929). As for the gloves, here's an explanation from Walt himself:'We didn't want him to have mouse hands, because he was supposed to be more human. So we gave him gloves. Five Fingers looked like too much on such a little figure, so we took one away. That was just one less finger to animate.' A very down-to-earth approach. And if you put gloves on a cartoon character, you don't have to animate all those wrinkles and lines. Incidentally, there's a similar evolutionary path that can be traced to the emergence of Bugs Bunny's gloves in A Wild Hare, Tex Avery's l94O cartoon that gave us the classic phrase, 'What's Up Doc?'

I thought it was because animators wore white gloves

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What's the difference between an egg and a wankk?

You CAN beat an egg.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here