Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North street closed for 8 weeks from today

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Could a mass immigration to the southern section of Illinois (America) be organized? There is plenty of room for this. There is an occasional tornado and temperatures will sometimes soar to 35-40. Once a year or so there is a snow storm when everything comes to a halt. A contract could be set up for BHAFC to play in this new area 4 times per year. It sure would help the congestion in Brighton and teach some of those Trump supporters a thing or two. They would only have to move a few traffic signs to the other side of the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.127...4!1shO7UiJQGnyDRU0ECLjfitw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Ummm...what ?
???

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
This is nothing compared to the year of carnage and the subsequent utter nightmare for commuters the Valley Gardens Project will create when it starts early next year. Sending all the cars in and out of Brighton on single lane carriageways when the current two lanes can't manage is taking incompetence to a whole new level.

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/parking-and-travel/travel-transport-and-road-safety/a-vision-valley-gardens

Jeez those incompetent pricks. Trying to make the centre of our city a better place to live, work and spend time. How dare they!

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Also, if the Green council hadn't narrowed the road it would be possible to resurface lane by lane and keep the traffic - mainly buses - running.

Completely with you on that one. I was there a while ago, when a bus broke down. Absolute chaos on both sides.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Could a mass immigration to the southern section of Illinois (America) be organized? There is plenty of room for this. There is an occasional tornado and temperatures will sometimes soar to 35-40. Once a year or so there is a snow storm when everything comes to a halt. A contract could be set up for BHAFC to play in this new area 4 times per year. It sure would help the congestion in Brighton and teach some of those Trump supporters a thing or two. They would only have to move a few traffic signs to the other side of the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.127...4!1shO7UiJQGnyDRU0ECLjfitw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Ummm...what ?
???

You could be in charge of picking the people who are to immigrate. You could pick all the people you dislike.

It seems about as helpful as all the other comments on this thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Utterly ridiculous !!!! It wasn't that long ago that it was closed because of utility works - why the hell didn't the council re-surface then ?? Also, if the Green council hadn't narrowed the road it would be possible to resurface lane by lane and keep the traffic - mainly buses - running. I really do despair at the ineptitude of the previous Green council and the current Labour one seems little improvement. And why the hell does it take EIGHT weeks to resurface ?? Whole stretches of motorway get completed in a few hours rather than weeks !

These things happen. I'm sure you'll be able to get about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not the council's doing: it's to repair the water main. Water supply is run by a private company, nothing to do with the council. And, yes, they should have done a better job when they repaired it 10 year ago and not had to do it again. But, if you want to blame the council for that, B&H was run by the Tories then.

Oh. It's the Tories. Absolutely unbelievable. Incredulous. 8 weeks? Jesus wept. Utter morons the Tories. Who votes for idiots like them?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Utterly ridiculous !!!! It wasn't that long ago that it was closed because of utility works - why the hell didn't the council re-surface then ?? Also, if the Green council hadn't narrowed the road it would be possible to resurface lane by lane and keep the traffic - mainly buses - running. I really do despair at the ineptitude of the previous Green council and the current Labour one seems little improvement. And why the hell does it take EIGHT weeks to resurface ?? Whole stretches of motorway get completed in a few hours rather than weeks !

It IS the council's doing that they've narrowed the road so much that the re-surfacing can't now be completed in stages without closing the whole road. It IS the councils fault that it's taking a stupidly long time to do the work.

Got to say, it's quite funny watching Westdene Seagull have another of his knee-jerk BHCC council rants, especially based on the back of his ongoing local government ignorance. Each of the spit-laden rants is so easily torpedoed by so many on here - something which is quite simple to do with a quick check to see who did what and when. Not difficult.

The answer, incidentally, is on Southern Water's website - for they are the responsible party... https://www.southernwater.co.uk/northstreet

Pavement widening (something else he's clearly appalled at - human safety) started in 2009. The Tories led the council in those days. https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/co...-safety/north-street-road-safety-improvements

Oh dear.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
These things happen. I'm sure you'll be able to get about.
Indeed. Roads need repairing and when that happens it always causes a bit of congestion. Sad fact of life I'm afraid. And speaking as someone who spends most of his time as a pedestrian in Brighton (the buses being too expensive to use regularly) I don't think the North Street pavements are wide enough. I'd ban all vehicles from there and pedestrianise the whole area..

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Got to say, it's quite funny watching Westdene Seagull have another of his knee-jerk BHCC council rants, especially based on the back of his ongoing local government ignorance. Each of the spit-laden rants is so easily torpedoed by so many on here - something which is quite simple to do with a quick check to see who did what and when. Not difficult.

The answer, incidentally, is on Southern Water's website - for they are the responsible party... https://www.southernwater.co.uk/northstreet

Pavement widening (something else he's clearly appalled at - human safety) started in 2009. The Tories led the council in those days. https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/co...-safety/north-street-road-safety-improvements

Oh dear.

You're like the gift that keeps giving TLO. Someone only has to type 'Green' into a post and you're all over it like a rash - anyone would think you might just be a member of the Green Party :lolol:

As for the pavement widening, I was specifically meaning the last round that happened - thus causing issues for buses as before there was room for three buses across therefore allowing over taking.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Jeez those incompetent pricks. Trying to make the centre of our city a better place to live, work and spend time. How dare they!

Yeah it'll be lovely sitting in the green space breathing in all that pollution from the stationary traffic! Reducing the lanes down to one has worked so well in Lewes Road as well, pollution up, journey times up, people using side streets to avoid the traffic queues. Must be lovely for the people living down those streets. I wish they had spent the £10million on putting in place a decent park and ride so we have an alternative to driving in to the city.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has always surprised me that at least 1 bus route does not follow the route when North St was closed thus encompassing the Centre and Seafront with possibly 1 stop opposite The Old Ship Hotel. This would ease the congestion in North St perhaps the 700 or 270 which are not routes run by B & H buses could take that route to and from the Clock Tower.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It has always surprised me that at least 1 bus route does not follow the route when North St was closed thus encompassing the Centre and Seafront with possibly 1 stop opposite The Old Ship Hotel. This would ease the congestion in North St perhaps the 700 or 270 which are not routes run by B & H buses could take that route to and from the Clock Tower.

There is/was a bus stop there for the summer routes. Not a good idea for other routes as it would close off that lane too frequently.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In all honesty, I'm surprised how well it worked routing the buses along the sea front. I assumed the whole city would effectively become jammed, with the disruption at the Level thrown in as well but it's not really made much of a difference. It's about time they cracked on and got the sea front back up and running properly again though, the closures there are meant to last until 2019 if I remember correctly?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is/was a bus stop there for the summer routes. Not a good idea for other routes as it would close off that lane too frequently.

I am not suggesting a number of routes changing just possibly the 700 or 270 or even the buses to Eastbourne is it the 12. Just a thought although neither would affect me as I either get off at The Old Steine or Churchill Sq.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I am not suggesting a number of routes changing just possibly the 700 or 270 or even the buses to Eastbourne is it the 12. Just a thought although neither would affect me as I either get off at The Old Steine or Churchill Sq.

Problem for the 700 is the central pick up points if it runs the coastal road. Same for the 12. They need to pick up folk from other routes. That's why North Street, though congested, is important.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here