Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North street closed for 8 weeks from today

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The busy North Street in the heart of Brighton will shut down on Monday for major resurfacing works.

The closure of the road could see large-scale disruption to commuters.

The closure will run from the Clock Tower down to just before the East Street roundabout."

Good luck to all commuters!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Utterly ridiculous !!!! It wasn't that long ago that it was closed because of utility works - why the hell didn't the council re-surface then ?? Also, if the Green council hadn't narrowed the road it would be possible to resurface lane by lane and keep the traffic - mainly buses - running. I really do despair at the ineptitude of the previous Green council and the current Labour one seems little improvement. And why the hell does it take EIGHT weeks to resurface ?? Whole stretches of motorway get completed in a few hours rather than weeks !

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Utterly ridiculous !!!! It wasn't that long ago that it was closed because of utility works - why the hell didn't the council re-surface then ?? Also, if the Green council hadn't narrowed the road it would be possible to resurface lane by lane and keep the traffic - mainly buses - running. I really do despair at the ineptitude of the previous Green council and the current Labour one seems little improvement. And why the hell does it take EIGHT weeks to resurface ?? Whole stretches of motorway get completed in a few hours rather than weeks !

Have to agree with all this. Major incompetence. Makes no sense whatsoever. The Brighton and Hove council must be populated by a bunch of first class bufoons.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

It's not the council's doing: it's to repair the water main. Water supply is run by a private company, nothing to do with the council. And, yes, they should have done a better job when they repaired it 10 year ago and not had to do it again. But, if you want to blame the council for that, B&H was run by the Tories then.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Our small village has just had resurfacing work all through it and the closure was anticipated to be 3 weeks. The contractors did a fantastic job and it was planned so that villagers managed to get access throughout the period. It was probably a stretch of road that is about 1 mile or so long and they actually completed it I about 2.5 weeks. And that included the lost time where they constantly stopped work to let people through. Marvellous scenes!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ruislip high street up here was resurfaced a couple of months ago.
It took a good couple of months, disrupting everything.
At times it resembled a medieval road, and that was before.
The local businesses tried to get compensation for loss of trade.
I won't tell you what the answer was!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's not the council's doing: it's to repair the water main. Water supply is run by a private company, nothing to do with the council. And, yes, they should have done a better job when they repaired it 10 year ago and not had to do it again. But, if you want to blame the council for that, B&H was run by the Tories then.

It IS the council's doing that they've narrowed the road so much that the re-surfacing can't now be completed in stages without closing the whole road. It IS the councils fault that it's taking a stupidly long time to do the work.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The buses run from the Old Steine, along the front, and up West Street. As they aren't stopping, they're running faster, than if they were going up North Street, because of all the pedestrian crossings, and bus stops.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It IS the council's doing that they've narrowed the road so much that the re-surfacing can't now be completed in stages without closing the whole road. It IS the councils fault that it's taking a stupidly long time to do the work.

I completely agree with the widening of the pavement on N street, the level of pedestrian congestion on that road was getting ridiculous.

Why can't they at least just shut it one way and do it one side at a time? that way you only interrupt one direction rather than both...

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I completely agree with the widening of the pavement on N street, the level of pedestrian congestion on that road was getting ridiculous.

Why can't they at least just shut it one way and do it one side at a time? that way you only interrupt one direction rather than both...

But they widened it then stuck a load of plant pots and benches so you can't walk on the widened bit! :ffsparr:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The buses run from the Old Steine, along the front, and up West Street. As they aren't stopping, they're running faster, than if they were going up North Street, because of all the pedestrian crossings, and bus stops.

That is true until the seafront road gets clogged with traffic!

edit: link to work being carried out to correct resurfacing that they ****** up 10 years ago. https://www.southernwater.co.uk/northstreet

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

ten years?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
They've closed off the whole thing because they're fixing the drainage though, isn't that right? If so, it should be clear why they can't close it half at a time. The paving on the road is an absolute catastrophe, and has been since it was last resurfaced. The reality is that the volume of buses smashing up and down it, 24/7 is always going to destroy the road surface, so it will need to be relaid every year or so. Or, it gets as it has been for months and months where it's a patchwork of temporary fixes.

This is terrible. I never noticed there WAS an East Street roundabout. I must have been driving straight over it.

Presumably, you're a bus driver?

Albion my Albion

Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Could a mass immigration to the southern section of Illinois (America) be organized? There is plenty of room for this. There is an occasional tornado and temperatures will sometimes soar to 35-40. Once a year or so there is a snow storm when everything comes to a halt. A contract could be set up for BHAFC to play in this new area 4 times per year. It sure would help the congestion in Brighton and teach some of those Trump supporters a thing or two. They would only have to move a few traffic signs to the other side of the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.127...4!1shO7UiJQGnyDRU0ECLjfitw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here