Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inappropriate use of the word 'that'.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Am I alone in finding ex-footballers who use the word 'that' instead of 'the', incredibly annoying? For example, the bloke on sky at the moment just referred to the middle of the pitch as 'that middle area of the pitch'. Pedantically, 'that' in this case would indicate that there was more than one middle area of the pitch. Clearly a nonsense. 'That' is versatile, it is also used to describe different teams, i.e. 'that Liverpool team' (are there any others called Liverpool?), the ball, 'Messi hit that ball so skillfully' (which other ball would be involved?) and a red card event such as 'the ref was quick to draw that red card from his pocket'.

It is a small thing but it drives me insane.

The Optimist

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
'that Liverpool team' (are there any others called Liverpool?), the ball, 'Messi hit that ball so skillfully' (which other ball would be involved?) .

I hadn't noticed but I'm sure I will from now on and it'll annoy me!

Depending on the context 'that Liverpool team' could be commenting on the particular starting 11 compared to a different starting 11 and 'ball' is often used to mean pass, e.g. 'that ball by Messi was brilliant'.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Depending on the context 'that Liverpool team' could be commenting on the particular starting 11 compared to a different starting 11 and 'ball' is often used to mean pass, e.g. 'that ball by Messi was brilliant'.

That.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Mute the sound, that problem solved :thumbsup:

Back in the early days of satellite tv, BSB allowed different audio options. One was to only have the crowd noise played. Admittedly at small grounds such as Selhurst Park, that may be annoying with the incessant drum accompanied by 30 spotty Ultras. But generally it was a good arrangement. I like hearing any atmosphere.

'That Messi pass was brilliant' is of course as you say the correct way to use the word. But ex-footballers seem very prone for this particular grammatical faux pas. And yes in a comparative sense for the Liverpool team 'that' is good English.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
One thing that grinds my gears with quite a few footballers is answering a question with "Yeah, no". Harry Kane is dreadful for it and I hate to say so is our Bobby.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
One thing that grinds my gears with quite a few footballers is answering a question with "Yeah, no". Harry Kane is dreadful for it and I hate to say so is our Bobby.

That has crept in in the last few years. I agree, it is completely idiotic.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
In a similar vein, my current pet hate is the invalid use of plurals. A player or commentator will use "like the Arsenals, Man Uniteds, Man Cities.......", listing the entire Premier League. There is only one Arsenal, one Man City......

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Am I alone in finding ex-footballers who use the word 'that' instead of 'the', incredibly annoying? For example, the bloke on sky at the moment just referred to the middle of the pitch as 'that middle area of the pitch'. Pedantically, 'that' in this case would indicate that there was more than one middle area of the pitch. Clearly a nonsense. 'That' is versatile, it is also used to describe different teams, i.e. 'that Liverpool team' (are there any others called Liverpool?), the ball, 'Messi hit that ball so skillfully' (which other ball would be involved?) and a red card event such as 'the ref was quick to draw that red card from his pocket'.

It is a small thing but it drives me insane.

In your 'Messi hit that ball so skilfully' example the word 'ball' refers, I believe, to a pass - i.e. A ball to his teammate - not to the actual ball itself. Therefore, in this case, 'that' is perfectly acceptable as there will be many 'balls' played over the match. Whether you agree with using ball as a noun for anything other than the physical object is another matter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In a similar vein, my current pet hate is the invalid use of plurals. A player or commentator will use "like the Arsenals, Man Uniteds, Man Cities.......", listing the entire Premier League. There is only one Arsenal, one Man City......

Some of this usage is, imho, perfectly acceptable - much depends on context. 'We can't afford to splash out the same money as the Chelseas and Man. Cities of this world' seems perfectly reasonable to me. In this context, we are not specifying only Chelsea and Man.City can splash out more than we can, we are using them as examples.

There are two things that really get on my wick, though. The way football people, struggling to think what they're going to say next, use 'Football Club' after the name of whatever club they're talking about to give them a bit of time (yes, we KNOW Manchester United is a f**kin' football club, as is Arsenal - and even, according to some people, Crystal Palace!) Still, at least it seems to have replaced the multiple use of 'Yer know'.........

And secondly, the replacing of the perfectly good English word 'to' with 'ter'.........yeugh!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Some of this usage is, imho, perfectly acceptable - much depends on context. 'We can't afford to splash out the same money as the Chelseas and Man. Cities of this world' seems perfectly reasonable to me. In this context, we are not specifying only Chelsea and Man.City can splash out more than we can, we are using them as examples.

There are two things that really get on my wick, though. The way football people, struggling to think what they're going to say next, use 'Football Club' after the name of whatever club they're talking about to give them a bit of time (yes, we KNOW Manchester United is a f**kin' football club, as is Arsenal - and even, according to some people, Crystal Palace!) Still, at least it seems to have replaced the multiple use of 'Yer know'.........

And secondly, the replacing of the perfectly good English word 'to' with 'ter'.........yeugh!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have no problem with 'that' in any of those sentences.

Indeed. Reads perfectly well to me.

Mind you, and in homage to a Steve Brucism that offends my ears, maybe I should have went to specsavers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nothing stinks worse than Beckham, starting every interview by answering the first qustion with 'as I said earlier'.

No you didn't you tit. We only just started speaking to you. National treasure - cah! :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here