Votes: 181 90.5%
  • No, I'd expect 8:44 to be too late to order

Votes: 19 9.5%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here in Canada, if I tried to order something 15 minutes before the kitchen closed they'd go out of my way to make sure I got my food. Even at 9.05, they'd probably cook me something, even if they limited it to only a couple of choices. I've grown used to a certain level of customer service in pubs and bars, which isn't always on offer in the UK.

So what you're saying is......wouldn't happen in Canada?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If I was told at just after 8 o'clock that food would stop being served at 9 then I wouldn't wait until 8:45pm to order.

Probably because ordering a shit tonne of food 15 minutes before the kitchen closes on a Saturday night just seems like a shitty move to me.

:shrug:

It shouldn't be up to the customer to work out how long before the kitchen closing they need to order though.

"Our kitchen closes at 9 so we would need you to order before 8.30 please" - Not hard is it?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yes, I do agree that you should have been allowed to place your order.
The place should state the time for last food orders, it would make so much more sense.
Reminds me of something else that happened here.
Our local petrol station shuts at 6pm, as the sign says, I turned up at 5.47pm to be told that they closed at 6pm and that it was too late.
At that point I told the bloke that it wasn't 6pm but 5.47pm and reminded him that he should be shutting off at the pumps at 6pm, that it was not his time to go home and that I wondered if the owner, who I know, would be interested to hear about this.
He turned on the pumps and served me as well s 4 others that had turned up.
In the last 13 mins he was prepared to lose out on at least $400, difference between workers and business owners.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
40 mins to decide, must have a wife like mine.
She has to study everything and takes ages, it can be very frustrating and embarrassing when everyone is sitting and waiting for her to make her mind up.
Then she usually goes with what she had last time she was there.:shrug:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
A little bit of common sense could have been shown by both sides here. The barman could have said food is served til nine but the kitchen staff like to start cleaning down in the last 20 mins or so so be quick please. Also Bozza could have thought for a mo about the kitchen staff looking at the clock rolling up to 9pm on a Friday night and home then another order turns up. If a shop shuts at 5.30 and you turn up at 5.28 to buy a pint of milk, fair do's, if you turn up at 5.28 to peruse a new carpet you are a git.

But food isn’t served until 9pm then it stops, the pub does not advertise food is served until 9pm then it stops serving food at 9.01, it clearly advertises food is available to be ordered up to 9pm.
The kitchen staff are paid beyond 9pm, they have a job to do, it matters not that it’s a Friday night and they want to be elsewhere

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
........I didn't complain, I bought some crisps.

Being English that pretty much amounts to the same thing.
Did you subliminally convey your level of dissatifaction and displeasure through your choice of crisp flavour?
Good job you didn't order some pork scratchings or you would have been thrown out for causing trouble.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
People who are in a pub at 6 and order their food 5 minutes before the kitchen closes (8/9, whatever) are foolish and selfish.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's something that pisses me off in this country concerning the serving of food. Served by ? Ordered by ? Just keep the customer happy and they'll come again. Piss them off in the slightest by being petty and they might never come again. Doing a HT here but it would never happen in Italy.

You get similar debates over best by and consume by on certain foods...I bought some apples the other day that had consume within 7 days ....I have apples in the fruit bowl that have been there for weeks and are fine.

Sorry for hyjacking the thread.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People who are in a pub at 6 and order their food 5 minutes before the kitchen closes (8/9, whatever) are foolish and selfish.

I'm sorry that's utter bollocks.

At no point was I told that the kitchen closes at 9 (and indeed it didn't). I took the barman's "until 9" to mean food could be ordered until 9.

If taking orders late on is such a problem for establishments and/or those working in kitchens, then it's really not very difficult to work out a solution.

1. Decide what time the kitchen closes. For example, 9pm.

2. Keep this 9pm thing a secret from your customers. They really do not need to know.

3. Tell your customers that food can be ordered until 8:30pm. (Or even earlier, if desired)​

Problem solved. Although from some posts on here, it seems as though some would then think trying to place an order at 8:15 is "taking the piss" / foolish / selfish.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Bozza - while I agree that they should have taken your order at 8.44 - are you not such a keen observer
of human nature and piss-head :) to realise that people are essentially selfish and unpredictable/irrational?
If it had been me I would have left it no later than 8.15 to order. It was tempting fate.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I voted yes based on the poll question but thinking about it, if you were there at 8 and they said the kitchen closes at 9, surely that's a 'oh right, I'll order as soon as possible'

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Shout to the Three Queens Hotel, Burton last week. Breakfast served until 9:30, self service, so when bleary eyed wife and I arrived at 9:15 there were no eggs (scrambled for me, fried for her). We had to find the chef who then obligingly cooked our food for us.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You should have had a quiet word in the ear of the manager/owner and offered him £20 to keep the kitchen open and then ordered one Waldorf Salad and one Green Salad, with two screwdrivers to drink.

Lashings of hot screwdriver.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I voted yes based on the poll question but thinking about it, if you were there at 8 and they said the kitchen closes at 9, surely that's a 'oh right, I'll order as soon as possible'

They didn't say the kitchen closes at 9 though. As per my opening post, I asked something like "Are you still doing food?", or "Are you still serving food?"

The barman looked up at the clock and said "Yes, until 9."

At no point did he indicate that the kitchen was closing at 9 (and I know that it didn't anyway), nor did he give any indication that food orders needed to be placed by any particular time ahead of 9.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They didn't say the kitchen closes at 9 though. As per my opening post, I asked something like "Are you still doing food?", or "Are you still serving food?"

At no point did he indicate that the kitchen was closing at 9 (and I know that it didn't anyway), nor did he give any indication that food orders needed to be placed by any particular time ahead of 9.

Seems fair enough to me...i'd have taken it the way you did

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You're in the right. I reckon the Chef has let him / them down here..

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Bar staff, crap wages, long day, could I give a sh*t about customers? thing - answer 'no'

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton

Ahh ok fair enough. Still, your indecisiveness requires improvement :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here