Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F1 Singapore

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They are going to fudge this and call it a racing incident aren't they? My only comment is that if it had been Hamilton who had caused that accident he would have got a draconian penalty

2 Ferraris retired on the first lap for the first time in F1 history - I'd be surprised if Vettel wasn't awarded points!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
They are going to fudge this and call it a racing incident aren't they? My only comment is that if it had been Hamilton who had caused that accident he would have got a draconian penalty
The FIA aren't known as Ferrari International Assistance for nothing.

You're right though, had it been Hamilton in Vettel's place he'd have had the book thrown at him without question - fingers crossed that is applied consistently.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
What a surprise:

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/909442356687933441

"Stewards "find no driver wholly or predominantly to blame" for Vettel-Raikkonen-Verstappen. No further action"

:nono:

Wouldn't Vettel have had a race ban if more points had been added to his license? I remember them mentioning it after the Azerbaijan incident and I seem to remember he had to get past a certain race to avoid punishment. If he hasn't got past that point yet he will have to do something pretty blatant as a race ban now would pretty much end the title race with only 6 tracks left. It's all about money and sponsorship which would be lost if the title is pretty much settled.

1of the stewards for today's race was Emanuele Pirro who spent the majority of his F1 career at the Scuderia Italia team.
I'm sure the decision is a coincidence.

D

Deleted member 2719

I like my F1 but watching that was a waste of 2 hours.

Well done Sussex boy Palmer.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Wish we could get rid of these crap street circuits and bring back proper race tracks like Magny Cours. Singapore is such a dull circuit

The only F1 race I've ever been to was at Magny Cours. It was a dull procession from start to finish and I think Kimi was the only driver to overtake anyone because he had to start from the back. I'm all for bringing back exciting circuits but I don't think Magny Cours is one of them!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
find it spooky that F1 addicts, not necessarily on here, get worked up about crashes involving boys with toys, the day after the horrific fatal crash on the M5 ?!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's strange how a season that has had almost no direct racing between Lewis and Vettel has been so close and compelling.

As for today, it's surely a decisive blow in the Championship and leaves Vettel needing a LH retirement in the next six races to have a chance I feel. Despite being a huge Lewis fan, I wouldn't have punished Vettel for the incident in Turn One. He took a very aggressive move to squeeze Verstappen but in those conditions there is no way he could have known Raikkonen was also there, and Raikkonen's presence is essentially what resulted in it being a huge crash rather than just a move by the pole sitter to retain position. Vettel is sometimes too aggressive and he paid the price for it today. That's enough.

I'm glad someone else said it. It was his fault and it was a daft thing to do in his situation but it's a split second decision in a scenario when with those tiny mirrors you just can't see. 9 times out of 10, Kimi isn't there, Max goes left, nothing happens and we go racing. If you punish him there you have to punish every driver who ever puts the squeeze on someone. As you say though, Seb has been too aggressive at times this season and he's really cost himself here. Unless Hamilton fails to finish a race which Seb wins you really have to fancy Lewis for the title now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here