Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings: Bournemouth (A)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
ryan - 6 nothing to do other than pick the ball out of the net
Suttner - 5 yet to see what he offers going forward as we seem to want to defend for 75mins most games
Dunk - 8 good centre back who gives everything. solid again but he cant be happy being the only player who is willing to put challenges in.
Duffy - 5 think Duffy is an excellent player but wasn't himself. poor game by his standards and gave away possession in horrible spots
Rosenior - 4 tried but failed to impress
Stephens - 7 decent game, but unable to impose himself in any attacking sense because we sat back and invited pressure
Propper - 6 (Constantly played oop at present) will be a better force when we defend further up the pitch and he can get into attacking areas without having to sit deep in front of the back 4 for 80 mins
Knockaert - 5 innefective and defensively poor. don't think I saw him make 1 telling tackle all night. should have been replaced at HT
March - 6 not his best game. did improve 2nd half and I think we will see a better player when allowed to attack rather than spend time at LB.
Gross - 6 tried to get things moving but lack of support in attacking areas meant checking back and sideways movement mainly
Hemed - 6 not quite sure what people expect from him having to lead the line alone with little or no support. Difficult job for any forward

Murray - 3 not sure what he offers at this level
Izquierdo - 3 difficult to give a mark to as not on long enough ( should have come on at HT IMO)

Overall assessment -

If we are going to lose games this year then it would be nice to see us go down fighting as opposed to just giving up possession and handing teams the initiative for the majority of games. so many times last night, players not putting telling tackles in and letting Bournemouth dictate the play. When we scored we pressed a little higher up the pitch and looked a better team. Inviting pressure on from the outset will be our route straight back into the Championiship imo.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I gave Stephens some stick after the West Brom match for his negative passing. So it's only fair I give him credit this time for his willingness to turn and drive forwards before playing penatrive passes. Thought he look the best midfielder on the pitch and completely at home in Premier league company. Excellent 8/10.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
If we are going to lose games this year then it would be nice to see us go down fighting as opposed to just giving up possession and handing teams the initiative for the majority of games. so many times last night, players not putting telling tackles in and letting Bournemouth dictate the play. When we scored we pressed a little higher up the pitch and looked a better team. Inviting pressure on from the outset will be our route straight back into the Championiship imo.

The above is a pretty spot on, but I believe this is CH as he has done this before. We're 3-0 up against WBA and we start defending on our 18 yard line, inviting pressure which ultimately gave. But did we learn anything from the WBA goal, no, but the much maligned Eddie Howe did as both Bournemouth goals were carbon copies. There is an issue in the gap between Dunk and Suttner and last night these were exposed, yes Propper's half hearted tackle and then failure to chase his man just outside the box was a massive contribution, but it needs to be addressed.

The game plan was correct and worked until Bournemouth scored, but if we're capable of scoring one goal surely by definition we can do it again. I feel the expectation of CH that we can defend for 90 minutes is to much as concentration will lapse at some time and last night it cost us the game. Seven points from fifteen would have been good, but four from fifteen is poor, i'm sure all at the club are aware.

Rosenior has been highlighted as having a poor game, he didn't come with an expensive price tag, but time is running out for me on waiting for Propper to do something that equates to his price tag. I felt his performance last night was poor, defensively ad going forward, i'm not convinced he is playing in the corect position for his strengths, I just wonder how long we will have to wait for him to have a great game for us?

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
from the TV
Ryan - 6

Rosenior - 2 S**T
Dunk - 7
Duffy - 6 Surprised nobody has mentioned he picked up a bad knock early on, which led to his poor performance.
Suttner - 6

Knockaert - 6
Stephens - 7
Propper - 7
March - 7

Gross - 7
Hemed - 5

Subs - n/a

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I just wonder how long we will have to wait for him to have a great game for us?

Scoring twice against Bulgaria, who admittedly aren't world-beaters, would suggest he's quite a good player. He arrived and played against City within a few days. Stephens hasn't played to his best so far this season, which won't have helped.

I think, whilst frustrating, it's going to take time for the new players to gel. 5 games in is too early to judge, and whilst we can't afford to drop points, it's the way things have worked out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
6 being Satisfactory and average.

Ryan 6 No chance with either goal otherwise for what little he had to do was OK.
Rosenior 4 Very poor Premier seems to be beyond him now.
Duffy 5 Not his usual commanding self with few mistakes thrown in.
Dunk 8.5 Immense How long can we keep him.
Suttner 6 Did the job but would like to see him get forward in support of Solly more.
Knockhaert 5 Virtually a passenger for most of the game making up the numbers offering nothing.
Stephens 9 MOM exactly whgat we expected from him.
Propper 7 Did Ok but would like to see him further forward.
March 7 Needed to beat Smith earlier in the game to give him confidence took goal well.
Gross 7 Full of running will become the engine of the team great pinpoint cross for the goal.
Hemed 5 Didnt offer a threat much too slow in both his play and pace.

Subs:
Izquierdo 6 Showed he had pace but given very little to chase.
Murray 5 Looks like he has suddenly got old and ineffective against younger defenders but not given much time to show any worth.

CH 6 But too cautious and scared to take the game to the opponents and put pressure on them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sure he is wondering too - injured for one game, and playing less than 120 mins total in the other 4 makes it hard for any player to make an impact.

That is true but in the limited time that he has been on the pitch he appears to have got old and slower and less effective. I wonder if when he is fit it is worth ditching the big man up front in the start and playing Izzy Brown there with Hemed and or Murray on the bench. However with Murray when then lose his defensive heading ability so a problem.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Some surprisingly low ratings considering playing well for the majority of the game, a game that could have easily ended 1-0 or 1-1 but for a couple moments of quality.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The above is a pretty spot on, but I believe this is CH as he has done this before. We're 3-0 up against WBA and we start defending on our 18 yard line, inviting pressure which ultimately gave. But did we learn anything from the WBA goal, no, but the much maligned Eddie Howe did as both Bournemouth goals were carbon copies. There is an issue in the gap between Dunk and Suttner and last night these were exposed, yes Propper's half hearted tackle and then failure to chase his man just outside the box was a massive contribution, but it needs to be addressed.

The game plan was correct and worked until Bournemouth scored, but if we're capable of scoring one goal surely by definition we can do it again. I feel the expectation of CH that we can defend for 90 minutes is to much as concentration will lapse at some time and last night it cost us the game. Seven points from fifteen would have been good, but four from fifteen is poor, i'm sure all at the club are aware.

Rosenior has been highlighted as having a poor game, he didn't come with an expensive price tag, but time is running out for me on waiting for Propper to do something that equates to his price tag. I felt his performance last night was poor, defensively ad going forward, i'm not convinced he is playing in the corect position for his strengths, I just wonder how long we will have to wait for him to have a great game for us?

I disagree on two of your points:
-- Propper is quality and looks a good signing
-- the defensive set-up is fine, and I doubt CH is going to change it in too much of a hurry. I've bolded up what I want to concentrate on. You're saying that we started off defensively (when we didn't concede), but looked a lot better when we had scored and pressed higher (which is when we conceded two). We kept City out for 70 minutes with such a shape too, and frustrated Bournemouth for a similar period.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ryan 6.5 -- good in possession
Rosenior 4 -- love the guy, but v poor and a weak link, and he really didn't do either Duffy or Knockaert many favours.
Duffy 5 -- great in the air, poor in possession
Dunk 7.5 -- sheer quality, (at least) three amazing blocks, but perhaps caught out for the goals
Suttner 6
Knockaert 6
Stephens 8 MotM -- best midfielder on the pitch
Propper 7
March 7.5 MotM -- great strength, his first headed goal and good engine and stamina (I think he's played 450 minutes this season, which says something for an attacking player). All of these point to what he's been working on over the summer or even since/during his injury, and point to the fact that there will be plenty more to come from him. I just wish he'd believe in himself a bit more and go at defenders or drive into space on the counter-attack more
Gross 7 -- what a signing, another assist, and could have had several more with his brilliant corners
Hemed 7 -- thought he led the line well, and had a good game, but counter-attacking becomes all the more difficult when him and Gross are playing together, it means the only pace is with our wide players

Subs n/a
Crowd: fantastic as ever. A few new songs, including one for Stephens, and a few funny ones too.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
-- the defensive set-up is fine, and I doubt CH is going to change it in too much of a hurry. I've bolded up what I want to concentrate on. You're saying that we started off defensively (when we didn't concede), but looked a lot better when we had scored and pressed higher (which is when we conceded two). We kept City out for 70 minutes with such a shape too, and frustrated Bournemouth for a similar period.

The first paragragh was not mine, taken from earlier post. I'm struggling with Propper at the moment, imo he was poor last night and had a large hand in their first goal, holding out City and frustrating Bournemouth does not amount to points. Can you see a correlation on the timings of the opponents goals you mention. We cannot defend for 90 minutes and cannot apply Championship strategies to the Premier League.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

We didn't concede two goals from pressing higher up the pitch.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think that Ryan had any chance with either goal. Ben says he should have anticipated where they would put the ball but had he done so they were near enough with enough space to have put it in the other corner so he was on a loser either way.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The first paragragh was not mine, taken from earlier post. I'm struggling with Propper at the moment, imo he was poor last night and had a large hand in their first goal, holding out City and frustrating Bournemouth does not amount to points. Can you see a correlation on the timings of the opponents goals you mention. We cannot defend for 90 minutes and cannot apply Championship strategies to the Premier League.

I can see a correlation, whether it's a cause is a different story. We've changed the way we've played between PL and Championship, so I'm not sure what you're saying there.
RE first goal: I've only seen it once, live, so he may well have done better. Give Propper time, I'd suggest, he looks like an all-round midfielder to me, and a great signing but, it's probably best to wait for a 'propper' assessment for further games.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here