Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not upset with the result...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What the hell is that suppose to mean?

Name calling, bedwetting, 'you know f**k all about football' sort of comment.

Say anything remotely negative about a player or manager and you'll be attacked, then all the lemmings chip in too and it ends up in crucifixion. All because I thought xxxxx or xxxxx had a piss poor game

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Name calling, bedwetting, 'you know f**k all about football' sort of comment.

Say anything remotely negative about a player or manager and you'll be attacked, then all the lemmings chip in too and it ends up in crucifixion. All because I thought xxxxx or xxxxx had a piss poor game

Can you be a good chap and pull these nails out please?

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
It seems any concern expressed about current form and the future is greeted by a barrage of such comments. Sad really.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm absolutely gutted by the result. I haven't seen the game(on at 4.a.m here and i had to work all day) so maybe the performance can someway mitigate it but that was an awful, awful result last night.

We were playing a team who had lost all four of their league games this season, had only scored one goal, playing poorly(3 of their performances were unacceptable according to Howe) were under pressure and low on confidence.

We had to get a result. At least a draw. After taking the lead we had to go on and win, no ifs, buts or maybes. We had to win. It would have been huge for our confidence - back to back wins, a win away form home, moved us into comfortable midtable while condemning them to a fifth straight loss and heaping more and more pressure on them. Instead we lose and allow them to not only get a morale boosting win but get a win after being behind.

I've not been this low after an Albion loss for ages. Possibly not since the palace game.

We absolutely must beat Newcastle.

Please, please beat Newcastle.

I don't like feeling this down about the Albion.:down:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I'm absolutely gutted by the result. I haven't seen the game(on at 4.a.m here and i had to work all day) so maybe the performance can someway mitigate it but that was an awful, awful result last night.

We were playing a team who had lost all four of their league games this season, had only scored one goal, playing poorly(3 of their performances were unacceptable according to Howe) were under pressure and low on confidence.

We had to get a result. At least a draw. After taking the lead we had to go on and win, no ifs, buts or maybes. We had to win. It would have been huge for our confidence - back to back wins, a win away form home, moved us into comfortable midtable while condemning them to a fifth straight loss and heaping more and more pressure on them. Instead we lose and allow them to not only get a morale boosting win but get a win after being behind.

I've not been this low after an Albion loss for ages. Possibly not since the palace game.

Can't argue with any of that. After taking the lead it was essential to get something. We really must not let this happen again this season. You have to hold any points that are there for the taking, they don't come easy

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Good grief - you'd better prepare yourself for a long season. If a 2-1 defeat in the Premier league to Bournemouth has you feeling worse than Boro away, Weds at home, Villa away or numerous other vital defeats then steel yourself because there will be plenty more similar defeats to come this season.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Good grief - you'd better prepare yourself for a long season. If a 2-1 defeat in the Premier league to Bournemouth has you feeling worse than Boro away, Weds at home, Villa away or numerous other vital defeats then steel yourself because there will be plenty more similar defeats to come this season.

Really? We're going to lose more games? That's stunned me. :wozza:

I don't want to be overly pedantic but I said after an Albion loss. We didn't lose to boro or villa, we drew. But for the first I was filled with righteous anger at mike dean robbing us plus I knew it was always going to be an uphill task to get the win. Against villa I was more than consoled by the fact we had won promotion to the premier league, plus the performances against Norwich and Bristol city had prepared me. For sheffield wednesday I was disappointed but could shrug it off due to the injuries and fatalism after our previous attempts at the play offs.

I'm sorry if I have taken this defeat harder than you but there's no getting away from it, for me this is a terrible result. I don't like one bit what it says about us and our chances. It was a really big opportunity that we have wasted. I am fully aware that it is and was always going to be a long hard season. We had an opportunity to make it slightly easier last night. Instead we've made it harder. That sucks, I'm gutted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah they were p*ss poor by any reasonable footballing criteria (see commentators). I'm not bitter or a doom monger but I can recognise a missed opportunity when I see it pretending otherwise doesn't help our cause. On to the next game UTA.

Since I disagree with almost everything you post on the politics threads, its only fair to acknowledge full agreement with you about this.

I can understand the way we were set up, but when we did atttack it was far too slow. There were repeated occasions when midfield players couldn't see a way forward immediately, hesitated, then played the ball back. Our goal was quality, but we should have upped the ante after that. B'muff kept pressing all game.

I don't want to 'blame' anyone, but I did wonder about Duffy. I would not be surprised to find he's had some late nights recently, with sauce.... he was fortunate with a careless pass agains WBA and lacked concentration again last night. It is all very well being a massive heading monster but at least part of a game is played on the ground.....

Anyway, yes, should have won, not happy about that, but in general it is onwards and upwards. :thumbsup:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Really? We're going to lose more games? That's stunned me. :wozza:

I don't want to be overly pedantic but I said after an Albion loss. We didn't lose to boro or villa, we drew. But for the first I was filled with righteous anger at mike dean robbing us plus I knew it was always going to be an uphill task to get the win. Against villa I was more than consoled by the fact we had won promotion to the premier league, plus the performances against Norwich and Bristol city had prepared me. For sheffield wednesday I was disappointed but could shrug it off due to the injuries and fatalism after our previous attempts at the play offs.

I'm sorry if I have taken this defeat harder than you but there's no getting away from it, for me this is a terrible result. I don't like one bit what it says about us and our chances. It was a really big opportunity that we have wasted. I am fully aware that it is and was always going to be a long hard season. We had an opportunity to make it slightly easier last night. Instead we've made it harder. That sucks, I'm gutted.

Fair enough. I'm disappointed sure but enjoyed the match and the atmosphere - felt we played OK, a couple of quick decent goals changed the game which will happen, match could have gone either way. It would have been a real boost to win and I agree that we could really do with a win against Newcastle now but I'm not going to get too downhearted a few games into the season. My main worry this season is getting the points on the board early enough as the last month is going to be really tough - more than one point from Watford and Bournemouth (given how those games went) would have been helpful but going to enjoy it regardless. And top marks for some excellent pedantry.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
From what I've seen of suttner, Im not getting why we pursued him so hard and paid top dollar.
He's not terrible, he just looks like an average championship player.
I'm surprised we couldn't have got better for less.

As I understand it we put a lot of faith in stats when selecting targets, coupled with a long term scouting system.

I had a look at Suttner's stats for last season on Sqwaka.com, and compared them with Kyle Walker's over the same period.

Obviously Walker is a lot quicker than Suttner, but the rest of Suttner's stats stack up quite well against a player who City played £50 million for.

The most interesting stats were Suttner's attacking contribution, which is an area I think Walker is one of the best in the Premier League.

Goals scored: Suttner 4, Walker 0
Total chances created: Suttner 54, Walker 39

Yes he hasn't set the world alight yet, but nor have any of our summer signings. His stats on Sqwaka tell me he has only made 1 defensive error in 5 matches, So I think we should give him more time to settle, and see if he can be more than just a defender.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
You seem to think that our home form in lower leagues is a benchmark for how good we are in the premier league.

Wake up fella

Which part of this didn't you understand

"I meant our home record is pretty good and the WBA result suggests that we could well continue that this season"

It was trying to put a bit of positivity back into the negativity that is building up again. Nobody knows what our home form will be like this season so lets try and take a more positive view

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
It was the manner in which we lost that upsets me. And for this to be posted on the club news website: ROSENIOR: MISTAKES COST US.

Is this guy for real. he couldn't handle Bournemouth's winger at all.
And when he gave away possession in our final third (when the whole midfield were already pushing up the field), he ultimately led us to conceding the first goal.
Before he starts criticising our performance, he should look at his own.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My observations:

Rosenior did ok but we missed Bruno's foot on the ball and his creativity.
Whilst happy to concede possession, when we did get the ball, we lost it far too easily - couldn't hold it up front or in midfield.
We played more long-ball than I've seen in a while
They pressed us much higher than we pressed them
Howe is known for is tactical astuteness - we saw it at work last night to our own demise

As others have said, if we set up to defend for 90 mins, the quality in the PL will eventually pick us off - we have to find a greater attacking threat.
So, why is our attacking and most expensive purchase only getting 20 minutes [twice] to impress and been on the bench for 3 games - will he always be 3rd choice winger behind AK and SM? [not saying AK & SM should be dropped here - just seeking others views on the use of the new and expensive signing]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the title of the thread is wrong it should be upset by the result but not by the performance. We were undone by 2 superb passes so niothing to be ashamed of and generally our performance was good with very few weaknesses.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can't argue with any of that. After taking the lead it was essential to get something. We really must not let this happen again this season. You have to hold any points that are there for the taking, they don't come easy

Our problem is taking the lead away from home. Same issue last year against lessor teams. We want to keep hold of a slender lead and stop playing. Hate to say it but the manager is to blame for it.

I'd sooner we went out to take the game to the home team, a f@@k it attitude, as we will be picked off in the last 20 mins of games like last night unless we have a good lead. Even against WBA we panicked in last 20.

Our defence is certainly capable but can't be expected to defend in the last 20 yards of the pitch for the majority of games, it need those in front to take the pressure off

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
From just listening to the radio commentary we had them in our pocket and the game under control for 70 mins. Then errors and bad decisions handed them the game on a plate.

Hopefully lessons will be learnt but despite Hughtons calm post match interview, he must have been massively disappointed and boiling inside.

We have shown that we can compete in the Prem but we cannot afford to capitulate in the last 15 minutes of games like we did yesterday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we should have made the substitution of Izquierdo for AK much earlier , around 60th minute, to have taken the threat back to them and pushed them back defending to stop them attacking us, which it was obvious they would do in the last 30 mins.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I think the title of the thread is wrong it should be upset by the result but not by the performance. We were undone by 2 superb passes so niothing to be ashamed of and generally our performance was good with very few weaknesses.

Wow!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here