Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not upset with the result...

D

Deleted member 22389

From just listening to the radio commentary we had them in our pocket and the game under control for 70 mins. Then errors and bad decisions handed them the game on a plate.

Hopefully lessons will be learnt but despite Hughtons calm post match interview, he must have been massively disappointed and boiling inside.

We have shown that we can compete in the Prem but we cannot afford to capitulate in the last 15 minutes of games like we did yesterday.

Premier League all over. You can't make one misplaced place or turn off for a second in this division, otherwise that ball is going in to the back of your net. You can get away with it in the Championship, but not here. Thought we played well, we move on to the next match.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Not upset with the result!!!!!!! I am !!

One nil up on 66mins and then losing surely everyone should be at least disappointed....

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
With a bit of luck, which we never seem to get against Muff, we could have had the game sewn up on the hour mark. I thought Hughton's tactics were spot on for the first half. You could see them running out of ideas in attack, in spite of cutting us open several times in the first ten minutes. Then we came out and took the game to them at the beginning of the second half, with the goal, and the corners from which we almost scored. Howe had no choice but to change it round and it worked. That's what he is paid to do. I think it is reasonable to say that Hughton was too slow to respond to these changes which cost us the game but we know he is cautious in that way. A disappointing result, but not a disappointing performance. I thought Muff were considerably better than WBA, whatever the pundits on Sky might have said.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
From just listening to the radio commentary we had them in our pocket and the game under control for 70 mins. Then errors and bad decisions handed them the game on a plate.

Hopefully lessons will be learnt but despite Hughtons calm post match interview, he must have been massively disappointed and boiling inside.

We have shown that we can compete in the Prem but we cannot afford to capitulate in the last 15 minutes of games like we did yesterday.

This about sums it up for me too. The reaction of the defence when the first goal went in was very telling I thought (and a bit like against Man City as well). I've played in enough games where we've been holding on in a game where we hoped to get something but didn't really expect to / believe we would. It's great until we concede, and then morale slumps tremendously as you think 'we're not going to score [many] ourselves - so that's the game gone'. And this can often lead to panic about getting thumped, leading to mistakes that you wouldn't have made earlier. The back four looked in despair when we let the equaliser in last night, and I immediately said 'we're going to lose'. It just had that feel about it.

Whether this is because we still can't quite believe we can compete in the PL, or whether it's because our defence don't have confidence in the front line, I don't know.

We also look knackered in the last 15-20 minutes of each game so far.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We showed glimpses of being a good side, however we all know we need a goalscorer and things won't change until this is addressed.
We need to retain the ball better and take the pressure off the defence.
A tad disappointed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We showed glimpses of being a good side, however we all know we need a goalscorer and things won't change until this is addressed.
We need to retain the ball better and take the pressure off the defence.
A tad disappointed.
This mythical goal scorer will only do us any good if he is occasionally in the other teams half, rather than bobbing about defending on the edge of our penalty area.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Could have worn the stripes .

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
This mythical goal scorer will only do us any good if he is occasionally in the other teams half, rather than bobbing about defending on the edge of our penalty area.

We have creative players just need to get the ball in the box, was good to see March tucking in to score, we need to gamble a bit more and get support for Hemed as he is far too isolated.
I'm confident it will change for the better

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think the title of the thread is wrong it should be upset by the result but not by the performance. We were undone by 2 superb passes so niothing to be ashamed of and generally our performance was good with very few weaknesses.

Is, oddly, the right answer, I should have said not upset with the performance, my bad.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Fair enough. I'm disappointed sure but enjoyed the match and the atmosphere - felt we played OK, a couple of quick decent goals changed the game which will happen, match could have gone either way. It would have been a real boost to win and I agree that we could really do with a win against Newcastle now but I'm not going to get too downhearted a few games into the season. My main worry this season is getting the points on the board early enough as the last month is going to be really tough - more than one point from Watford and Bournemouth (given how those games went) would have been helpful but going to enjoy it regardless. And top marks for some excellent pedantry.

I can't comment on the performance as I haven't seen it. I was just commenting on the result in isolation - I was genuinely gutted, even my co-workers commented on it. I agree with everything else you say.

On the plus side I've just finished watching palace lose. Again. And fail to score. Again. That has cheered me up considerably. As has the fact that they've set a new record for a goalless start to a season.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Not upset with the result in the cold light of day but the tinpot songs that were sung last night were ****ing cringeworthy.

When we went a goal up after FIFTY FIVE minutes, why sing shyt like "down with the Palace", "your ground's too big for you" and "you're getting sacked in the morning".

****ing embarrassing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If we had scored those two goals we'd have been pretty damned happy with the cute passes into goal.

I just have a couple of bad itches. Now please, I am not bedwetting, JCL'ing or anything else. I'm not happy with tonight's result, like all us lot but take it on the chin, 30+ games to improve, and I think we are by the game.

But, two players just don't seem to be up to standard. One is Hemed, although that isn't his fault, we couldn't get anyone better in the summer and he is trying his hardest. And to be fair to the lad he did score a pearler last week, but over a season? Nah

The other is Suttner, I'm absolutely not sure what his input is? Both their goals scored down his side, March spends more time defending than attacking, I just don't know what to make of this lad, other than we probably bought him past his prime.

There was also a close up of Murray not bothering with a high ball and I thought 'old Murray is back'.

Anyway I thought we played well enough for at least one point.

Suttner - I think this is because we haven't seen what he can do at Championship level, we know nothing of him, whereas with the others we know how they can play. You could probably look at Knockaert right now and without knowing what had gone before wonder if he was good enough. We also don't know how Bong would be fareing.

Having said that, I would have liked Bong to have had a go, and Suttner didn't exactly come with huge pedigree.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not upset with the result in the cold light of day but the tinpot songs that were sung last night were ****ing cringeworthy.

When we went a goal up after FIFTY FIVE minutes, why sing shyt like "down with the Palace", "your ground's too big for you" and "you're getting sacked in the morning".

****ing embarrassing.

I think it's called banter, perhaps it passed you by.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The way we just fizzled out after they took the lead was the most worrying aspect for me. We are going to be behind quite possibly in a large percentage of the games we play. If our only tactic is to defend and hope for a goal on the counter, what do we do when we go behind?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here