Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker situation

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I don't feel Hemed even puts in the work rate to close down defenders when they have the ball, he just ambles around while in contrast you see Gross putting in much more effort to close their players down. Murray is again far superior in defending from the front as well as his hold up play.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He certainly wasn't the worst tonight. Difficult to play up front v 4 defenders with little to no support for the majority of the game. Championship tactics will not work in the prem IMO.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Any more bleating about this is tiresome. We can't change it until Jan so CH will need to come up with something to minimise the issue. Strikers were not why we lost tonight anyhow

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Strikers score goals . Strikers with pace terrorise the back four and keep them on there toes that's what I just watched anyway we might not be able to do anything about it but feel for hughton as he has one arm tied behind his back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I really feel for Chris he must be mad we didn't sign some quality up front. Don't want to reopen old wounds but it will cost us eventually.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't feel Hemed even puts in the work rate to close down defenders when they have the ball, he just ambles around while in contrast you see Gross putting in much more effort to close their players down. Murray is again far superior in defending from the front as well as his hold up play.

TH has never been mobile, that's just him and he has a fruitless role against entire PL defences on his own. Only target men of the rare quality of Shearer and Drogba could manage that.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I really feel for Chris he must be mad we didn't sign some quality up front. Don't want to reopen old wounds but it will cost us eventually.

Like you say, don't want to open old wounds but Chris Wood would have been perfect for this current team. Real shame it didn't happen.

He is exactly the type of striker we need at the moment. Direct, knows exactly where the goal is and feeds very well off a midfield setup like ours.

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Strikers score goals . Strikers with pace terrorise the back four and keep them on there toes that's what I just watched anyway we might not be able to do anything about it but feel for hughton as he has one arm tied behind his back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I KNOW THAT. There isn't much we can do about it now though is there? I wanted another striker as much as anyone else (and we may pay the price for it) but any more moaning about it is a complete waste of oxygen

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Any more bleating about this is tiresome. We can't change it until Jan so CH will need to come up with something to minimise the issue. Strikers were not why we lost tonight anyhow

I agree that strikers aren't the reason we lost tonight, but in terms of Hemed's individual performance take a look at a replay of their second goal tonight and Hemed's positioning from the moment the corner is taken and his movement. Another player could have comfortably prevented that goal.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
We all know we're two strikers short but Hemed isn't the main problem we have up front. We know what we're going to get from him, he's limited but he'll run all game, hold the ball up and chip in with the odd goal. He's an excellent squad player for us.

The bigger problems are that Baldock is a serial crock and Murray looks patently off the pace of the game and past it.

As has been said on here numerous times already, our recruitment team made a massive error in not bringing in at least one striker in the summer. We've just got to hope we scrape enough points before January with goals from other areas to give us a chance of staying up.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We all know we're two strikers short but Hemed isn't the main problem we have up front. We know what we're going to get from him, he's limited but he'll run all game, hold the ball up and chip in with the odd goal. He's an excellent squad player for us.

The bigger problems are that Baldock is a serial crock and Murray looks patently off the pace of the game and past it.

As has been said on here numerous times already, our recruitment team made a massive error in not bringing in at least one striker in the summer. We've just got to hope we scrape enough points before January with goals from other areas to give us a chance of staying up.

Sadly, finding a striker will be even more difficult and/or expensive in January. But we already knew that.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Sadly, finding a striker will be even more difficult and/or expensive in January. But we already knew that.

It has to happen, regardless... The price of dropping down to the Championship far exceeds the outlay for 1 or 2 proven strikers in January.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hemed worked his nuts off tonight. Have you been drinking???

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It has to happen, regardless... The price of dropping down to the Championship far exceeds the outlay for 1 or 2 proven strikers in January.

There will be no time for being scientifically picky about 'value'. The investment in striker/s will be critical if TB wants a club with enough future income to start to repay him his £290m. Otherwise we'll go back to being one of fifteen entitled clubs in the Championship lottery.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
There will be no time for being scientifically picky about 'value'. The investment in striker/s will be critical if TB wants a club with enough future income to start to repay him his £290m. Otherwise we'll go back to being one of fifteen entitled clubs in the Championship lottery.

Indeed.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Hemed's goal last week papered over the cracks, he was a complete passenger tonight and if you watch the replay of their second goal - what the **** was he doing ! But what disturbs me the most is when the ball goes forward to him he really struggles to hold the ball up and protect it, and it comes straight back which puts us under more pressure. His lack of pace is the icing on the cake. I'm hoping Murray starts on Tuesday to get his match sharpness back and that he starts against Newcastle next week.

Strange post. Hemed played well tonight given the conditions, including holding up the ball and bringing others into play when he could. Murray, by contrast, has had nothing stick to him this season, which I've found frustrating to watch considering hold up play and winning balls in the air are meant to be strengths of his.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Strange post. Hemed played well tonight given the conditions, including holding up the ball and bringing others into play when he could. Murray, by contrast, has had nothing stick to him this season, which I've found frustrating to watch considering hold up play and winning balls in the air are meant to be strengths of his.

I don't disagree with your comment on Murray, he's off the pace of the game at the moment as he's yet to play a full 90 mins - which is why I'm keen for him to get a good 90 mins under his belt on Tuesday to get that sharpness back that will help make him our first choice striker again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow. He might not be a top, top striker but the last thing I would criticise is his work rate. Always gives 100% for the team. Thought he did well tonight, chasing, holding the ball up and a couple of very decent moments.

It's Murray that's looked by far the weaker striker so far for me. Seems to immediately resort to niggly fouls when he comes on and has contributed very little.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here