Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jose Izquierdo

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Jeez this must be the dumbest thread I've ever seen on NSC. How can anyone criticise a player that was on the pitch for barely 20 mins and wasn't passed the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Err, it wasnt criticism of the player , the OP was pointing out that he wasnt "used" by our players when they had the fekkin ball , !

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not bothererd about the league cup and never have been. A chance for our thin squad to sustain an injury. Most other PL clubs treat both cups with disdain, as "PL survival is everything" to quote Paul Barber.

Let smug Howe have his double.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Brought on too late, again.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Felt sorry for him really. Little time to impress and nobody looked to pass to him. As has been said once the second goal went in the controlled play went out the window. Still. Up until they equalised I thought we controlled the game and the game plan worked. We need a bit of luck. Against Watford we hit the post twice and again today we were a whisker from being two nil up. Win against Newcastle and not a bad start.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
We lost our shape and heads completely after Bournemouth took the lead, he had no chance to shine. Never looked capable of getting anything after 2-1 as we stopped playing as a team. Worrying that we looked so clueless in the last 15

Perhaps we should have played him down the middle instead of Hemed/Murray as Southampton did with Shane Long yesterday

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps we should have played him down the middle instead of Hemed/Murray as Southampton did with Shane Long yesterday

If Hemed and Murray is the answer, the club isn't asking the right question.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Unfortunately I don't think we have the team or tactics to chase a game at this level, we looked really clueless after we went a goal down and didn't create a single decent attack in the last 15 mins. It's a worry to me but I'm sure there are plenty who think it's all hunky dory and we just need time. Hope they're right.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Unfortunately I don't think we have the team or tactics to chase a game at this level, we looked really clueless after we went a goal down and didn't create a single decent attack in the last 15 mins. It's a worry to me but I'm sure there are plenty who think it's all hunky dory and we just need time. Hope they're right.

Do you really think there are plenty thinking its hunky dory? We are in a fight and have to play with the hand thats dealt (minus injuries and suspensions) at least until January ...i'd agree with that last 15 mins..but we aren't the only side I've watched like that

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Do you really think there are plenty thinking its hunky dory? We are in a fight and have to play with the hand thats dealt (minus injuries and suspensions) at least until January ...i'd agree with that last 15 mins..but we aren't the only side I've watched like that

Oh yes, there are plenty that I would say are in denial on here. We all have our own opinions and there is a massive diversity in how different people see our situation. Long may it continue like that too.

There is no right or wrong opinion is there?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
For me Hughton lost the plot when we went behind. If you have Murray, Hemed and Duffy up front then you are looking to put the ball in the box so they can compete for headers. Yet we still had inverted wingers. It is beyond stupid. March and Izquierdo should have swapped sides and looked to get half a yard then swing the ball into the box.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
£13 + Million for an off the bench option seems a tad luxurious. He's either not quite as good as the scouts/recruitment team thought or CH is being a tad negative.

Or as reported in the press as he hasn't had much of a pre-season he is not quite up to scratch fitness wise yet

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

I was thinking more in terms of not having to chase the game in the first place. It seems our strategy is 2 banks of 4, defend at all costs and hope to nick a goal from a set piece. However it was evident from the first 15 mins of the 2nd half that we will only get set pieces if we actually attack the opposition which we did do effectively. So if we can attack effectively then we need to set up like that from the start or once we have a goal then we continue to attack for a 2nd to kill the game off.

We rely on the CF as an out ball to hold up play until others can get upfield. Unfortunately both Hemed & Murray seem to have been unable to do this so the ball just comes straight back again. With a pacy front man we could counter a bit slower giving the 2 wingers a chance to get upfield then break quickly from higher up in the opposition half. Ok there will be less space to get in behind but I still think it would be a better option than the system we currently have.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was thinking more in terms of not having to chase the game in the first place. It seems our strategy is 2 banks of 4, defend at all costs and hope to nick a goal from a set piece. However it was evident from the first 15 mins of the 2nd half that we will only get set pieces if we actually attack the opposition which we did do effectively. So if we can attack effectively then we need to set up like that from the start or once we have a goal then we continue to attack for a 2nd to kill the game off.

We rely on the CF as an out ball to hold up play until others can get upfield. Unfortunately both Hemed & Murray seem to have been unable to do this so the ball just comes straight back again. With a pacy front man we could counter a bit slower giving the 2 wingers a chance to get upfield then break quickly from higher up in the opposition half. Ok there will be less space to get in behind but I still think it would be a better option than the system we currently have.

I reckon we'll have to chase the game often this season though. CH's tactics worked very well last season because we posed a threat in attack. The quality of defenders is so much better at this level that our Championship quality strikers will get very little change out of Premier League defenders. At the same time quick and tricky forwards will test and breach our defence quite often imo. Then we will have to chase the game. How do we do this without opening ourselves up at the back seeing as our game plan is 11 behind the ball except when we try and break.

The speedy wingers can get to the byeline but the forwards are not likely to have arrived in the box when the wingers are ready to cross, having come from our penalty area. More goals from the midfield or Gross will certainly help.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here