Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jose Izquierdo

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Or as reported in the press as he hasn't had much of a pre-season he is not quite up to scratch fitness wise yet

The other thing to be considered is he's not our only winger that's worth 13 million. How annoyed would we have been if Knockaert had been sold for only 13 million? What's March worth in the current market?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We lost our shape and heads completely after Bournemouth took the lead, he had no chance to shine. Never looked capable of getting anything after 2-1 as we stopped playing as a team. Worrying that we looked so clueless in the last 15

Being 2-1 down wasn't in the gameplan, once our defence was compromised twice and we had to chase the game, our mindset be it players or directive from the manager, wasn't able to deal with where we were. We need to be prepared to be in such situations as it will happen a lot this year. Bournemouth, even by admission of their own fans were there for the taking and we failed to identify it. lets hope these are early lessons.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps we should have played him down the middle instead of Hemed/Murray as Southampton did with Shane Long yesterday

I agree.

I was surprised when Murray joined Hemed. We're looking to put their back four under some pressure. We don't do that by playing two centre forwards whose game is not about pace. At this level, you simply have to show some pace. It's why Rondon was so shocking against us for West Brom.

And all the while I was watching Shane Long yesterday, I was thinking of the difference a Baldock type player would make for us.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not all his fault though - if no-one passes to him, and the ball isn't in his area, he's not going to get many touches. And if he drops deep to get it, we'll be complaining that he's too deep.

Fair enogh and I agree. Sadly that argument doesn't seem to apply to Hemed so far.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I reckon we'll have to chase the game often this season though. CH's tactics worked very well last season because we posed a threat in attack. The quality of defenders is so much better at this level that our Championship quality strikers will get very little change out of Premier League defenders. At the same time quick and tricky forwards will test and breach our defence quite often imo. Then we will have to chase the game. How do we do this without opening ourselves up at the back seeing as our game plan is 11 behind the ball except when we try and break.

The speedy wingers can get to the byeline but the forwards are not likely to have arrived in the box when the wingers are ready to cross, having come from our penalty area. More goals from the midfield or Gross will certainly help.

My thought was retain the 2 DM's who could play to Gross who would then play in the 3 quick strikers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have taken off AK, who was doing nothing, moved March to the right and seeing how easily he was beating Smith at right back told Izquuerdo to go wide left and to push up on him and then the midfield to hit balls over the top towards the corner for him and Smith to chase.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I was really hoping to see 'The Greyhound' come on with Jose for the last half hour to inject a bit of pace and get them on the back foot while we keep it tight at the back.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Oh yes, there are plenty that I would say are in denial on here. We all have our own opinions and there is a massive diversity in how different people see our situation. Long may it continue like that too.

There is no right or wrong opinion is there?

Correct (only mine :) )

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He needs game time but we can't drop Knockaert or March so it's difficult to see where he's going to get that. Unless we start with the fluid front three I've been pushing for of him with Knockaert and March.

Why cant AK be dropped this season he has been a shadow of himself from last season where as March has risen to the challenge?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Why cant AK be dropped this season he has been a shadow of himself from last season where as March has risen to the challenge?

Because he's still our best player and capable of producing something out of nothing which we desperately need with our lack of strikeforce.

He didn't have his best game against Bournemouth but still had a couple of moments and he always puts a shift in regardless. He was also excellent against West Brom and decent against Watford.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why cant AK be dropped this season he has been a shadow of himself from last season
Really? I thought he'd been ok.

I'm sure Chris will pick and drop whom he likes, when he likes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because he's still our best player and capable of producing something out of nothing which we desperately need with our lack of strikeforce.

He didn't have his best game against Bournemouth but still had a couple of moments and he always puts a shift in regardless. He was also excellent against West Brom and decent against Watford.

Opinions and mine is that he hasnt been, and who is to say Izquierdo will not offer more. It is all down to CH who sees them in training that we on here are not privy to so we must accept his view but that doesnt make AK undroppable.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
We need to utilise the squad more so that they last the whole season.
You can tinker by being more attacking at home.
Silly is made of glass so needs to be managed.
His defensive abilities have really come to the for so would play him in away games.
I would start Jose at home to Newcastle..March on bench.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Opinions and mine is that he hasnt been, and who is to say Izquierdo will not offer more. It is all down to CH who sees them in training that we on here are not privy to so we must accept his view but that doesnt make AK undroppable.

The seasons only a few games old. Not sure you can boldly question his being undroppable based on such a small sample of games. Particularly when he hasnt started all of them.

Just checked BBC reports that show 3 starts and one man of the match performance. I dont think anybody in the squad is undroppable though and I'm sure that is very much the case when the starting line ups are selected

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My point is that at this stage of the season and seeking to establish ourselves everybody bar possibly Dunk come into the area of possibly being dropped if CH thinks it will improve us and if he thinks that we have better options I am not suggesting that he should be dropped or rested just making the point that contrary to what has been said he is not undroppable.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The other thing to be considered is he's not our only winger that's worth 13 million. How annoyed would we have been if Knockaert had been sold for only 13 million? What's March worth in the current market?

He looks unfit and a bit out of shape, but I could be wrong.

I think in another week or two we'll see a bit more of him, or rather, a bit less of him if the training has it's benefits.

NB Defo replied to the wrong post. Please add necessary context.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here