Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

70,s era pub bands.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Christ knows where I remember the first two tracks from. I was still in middle school when they all came out and haven't heard them played since then.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not really the best title,but after Punk and the way it opened up the music scene in the 70,s and thereafter (maybe we need another one ?) How can you knock bands like this and many more. :bigwave::clap:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJRosJqpoog

GP was of course around before punk. There was a raft of pub rock bands doing the London circuit before punk.

As well as GP just check out

Goodbye Nashville hello Camden Town which gives a good introduction to the genre

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
More that he was synonymous with this scene, I'd say. What do we reckon of Squeeze? Are they part of this scene?

Depends where you draw the line. I have always viewed pub rock as pre punk. While better musicians than punk the genre had moved away from 20 minute songs and 5 hour drum solos to 3 minute songs.
I wouldn't place Squeeze into that but rather clever or grown up pop. I may be being harsh as sometimes its difficult to pigeon hole groups.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Depends where you draw the line. I have always viewed pub rock as pre punk. While better musicians than punk the genre had moved away from 20 minute songs and 5 hour drum solos to 3 minute songs.
I wouldn't place Squeeze into that but rather clever or grown up pop. I may be being harsh as sometimes its difficult to pigeon hole groups.

Screenshot_20170915-174503.png

This is really fascinating stuff, not sure what the Brighton club was called :)

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
And let's not forget Brinsley Schwartz and Ducks Deluxe - members of both bands ended up with GP & the Rumour if I'm not mistaken.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I'm not gonna make a big thing about it as it's all just opinions but I'd say that pub rock pre-dated and outlived punk but punk had a big effect. Pre-punk had Dr Feelgood, Steve Harley and others with a fuller and more complicated sound and this was carried on by bands such as the Blockheads but you also had some of the stuff I posted earlier which is a lot more punk sounding and somewhere in the middle you have bands like Eddie and the Hot Rods.

In short, I think it's all pub rock so far!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here