Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

70,s era pub bands.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And let's not forget Brinsley Schwartz and Ducks Deluxe - members of both bands ended up with GP & the Rumour if I'm not mistaken.

Pub rock's finest moment - this is one great song

[yt]O4ZZtkYTI3o[/yt]

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
some strange bands labelled as pub rock on this thread! brinsley schwarz, eddie and the hot rods, doctor feelgood, kursaal flyers, all mid 70's say 74-76 and pre-dating punk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Much as I admire your work . . . . . the Mighty Damned were not a pub rock band.

WRT the OP thread, I beg to differ. I was a regular gig goer in the mid and late 70s and pub rock was shite. Some decent bands occasionally dipped into the pub rock venues (Golden Lion, Greygound in London; Buccaneer and Alhambra in Brighton) but the bands that pretty much did only pubs (Kursal Flyers, Ducks Deluxe, Brindsley Schwartz, Parker) were out of time; scruffy and tedious blues rock based dullards. A few bands morphed into something interesting: Eddie and the hotrods, The Stranglers, the Yachts, the Motors, Dr Feelgood, but in doing so they ceased to be pub rock.

ps the 'Grope and Wanker' in London was a pub, but it was not a *pub rock venue* as such. Sorry, I am a massive pedant when it comes to 76-86....:O

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Much as I admire your work . . . . . the Mighty Damned were not a pub rock band.

WRT the OP thread, I beg to differ. I was a regular gig goer in the mid and late 70s and pub rock was shite. Some decent bands occasionally dipped into the pub rock venues (Golden Lion, Greygound in London; Buccaneer and Alhambra in Brighton) but the bands that pretty much did only pubs (Kursal Flyers, Ducks Deluxe, Brindsley Schwartz, Parker) were out of time; scruffy and tedious blues rock based dullards. A few bands morphed into something interesting: Eddie and the hotrods, The Stranglers, the Yachts, the Motors, Dr Feelgood, but in doing so they ceased to be pub rock.

ps the 'Grope and Wanker' in London was a pub, but it was not a *pub rock venue* as such. Sorry, I am a massive pedant when it comes to 76-86....:O

No pedant at all.
It's okay I've already had a bollock!ng off [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] and now yourself :lolol:
I always knew they were punk, but had it in my mind also a pub type band :rock:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Nope, they got going late 70s. Hard to believe but they even opened for Led Zep at Knebworth in 1979 apparently.

Yep, I woz there, I also worked for Courage who gave them a lift with the Gertcha ads etc, and they did loads of our pubs.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Not having that about Brinsley Schwarz, a wonderful band but seeing as they only existed between 1969 and 1975 they are out of your pedantic timescale. Not being able to spell them right either is a bit of a giveaway.

Best band I ever saw in a pub were The Executives, who graced that long, narrow pub (I forget the name) near the west end of Montague Street, Worthing. The only offerings I can remember were the excellent 'Shy Little Girl' and one adapted for the audience as it was about living in boring 'W-O-R-T-H-I-N-G Worthing!'

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Probably too late time wise but it always reminds me of the Stiff Live tour at the Top Rank suite - Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Larry Wallis (who, if i remember rightly, came from the pink fairies and Motorhead !), Elvis Costello and Ian Drury

(which only happened, because Lee Brilleaux put up 400 quid to start Stiff Records)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not having that about Brinsley Schwarz, a wonderful band but seeing as they only existed between 1969 and 1975 they are out of your pedantic timescale. Not being able to spell them right either is a bit of a giveaway.

Damn right. A band that never recovered from their disastrous PR cock-up over their New York launch. They deserved more recognition than they got. I was quite fond of Ducks Deluxe too - the progenitor of two decent bands: The Tyla Gang and The Motors.

I don't agree with HWT here: he writes "scruffy, blues-based rockers" as if it's a bad thing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was a decent Brighton pub band called The Amazorblades - saw them at the Alhambra a few times.

They were a bit later than the others - in the peak punk era - and didn't really fit in. Sad really, a year earlier and they may have made it.

[yt]FwTlVyqjX0I[/yt]

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
My driving instructor claimed to have been a member of Brinsley Schwarz, but I've never found a mention of him in connection to the band. I think his name was Steve Talbot, based in Wimbledon. I did see Ian Gomm, though, live at the Beeb. Distictly average, I thought.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here