Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now we've just gone and contaminated Saturn

Not content with ruining our own planet with the waste of human endeavour, we've just deliberately polluted another by crashing a craft into it. OK so the fuel would have all burned away before it hit the surface, but there remains the debris scattered over God knows how big an area which does concern me somewhat. Does anyone else feel this way?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not content with ruining our own planet with the waste of human endeavour, we've just deliberately polluted another by crashing a craft into it. OK so the fuel would have all burned away before it hit the surface, but there remains the debris scattered over God knows how big an area which does concern me somewhat. Does anyone else feel this way?

We left a load of stuff on the moon decades ago, which can still be seen.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm sure I heard on the radio this morning that the whole thing would burn up in the atmosphere. Anyway, what do you propose we do with a probe that's running out of fuel ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

What's the difference between that and all the other space debris up there? And seeing as space debris in the form a meteorite from somewhere other than Earth wiped out all the dinosaurs I consider it payback to the rest of the universe. Having dinosaurs around would have been so cool.

I think you should only really worry if there was debris burning up around the rings of Uranus.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
It is concerning although I am more concerned about the amount of junk, we leave in space / orbit above our heads. It would burn up before it could hit Earth but it doesn't seem a good idea when we are planning to send astronauts up there.

I guess they though it was better to crash it into Saturn rather than leaving it loose in space.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm sure that even the Green Party adherents on here will be happy to know that Cassini hit Saturn's atmosphere at something like 78,000 mph.It will have been completely vapourised,and no residents of Saturn will have been injured or contaminated,so please return to your yoghurt-knitting.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm sure someone will clear it up in the future when we colonise the place.

I wouldn't worry yourself too much over it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Saturn is a gas giant, it doesn't have a solid surface.

Even if it did, Cassini burnt up in the atmosphere so there wouldn't have been any debris left.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Nope. I don't feel like that in any way shape or form. What harm has this done exactly?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Packing my bags going away to a place where the air is clean. On Saturn there's no sense to sit and watch people die. We don't fight our wars the way you do. We put back all the things we use. On Saturn there's no sense to keep on doing such crimes.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Into it? Are you sure?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I suppose it just depends on whether the inhabitants of Saturn treat it as a hostile act and start firing off nasties at us, or not. Personally, it's not at the top of my list of worries...............................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i assume this is some piss take? it will all burn up, just more molecules like the thousands of asteroids that must crash in.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Actually it is pretty responsible of them. Destruction as opposed to the chance it might end up on one of the moons which are much more likely to have conditions for some form of life.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Just say Saturn has it's own firm. How do you think they're going to respond to this?

"Oh, it's nothing to worry about boys, just more molecules sent from that very irritating blue planet."

or

"For God's sake boys! enough is enough. How many more times do they need to crash things into our home? That's it, get your spacecrafts on the ready boys. Let's show these Earth geezers what happens when you step on the toes of Saturn's main firm."

I think number 2 is the more likely. Thank God we've got Donald Trump!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here