Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Staying away from updates & result of an Albion match

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I'll be working until 12 tonight so have decided to record the Bournemouth game, stay away from any updates and watch it back tomorrow without knowing the score beforehand.

If I'm not at a game, I'm usually glued to the commentary or live updates so this is a first for me.

What experiences to people on here have of doing similar or the longest you've gone before finding out the result of an Albion game?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wasn't there an episode of the Likely Lads about not wanting to know a football result as on the TV later many years ago

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll be working until 12 tonight so have decided to record the Bournemouth game, stay away from any updates and watch it back tomorrow without knowing the score beforehand.

If I'm not at a game, I'm usually glued to the commentary or live updates so this is a first for me.

What experiences to people on here have of doing similar or the longest you've gone before finding out the result of an Albion game?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

You'll be OK, seems to be very little coverage of PL games in the media and hardly anyone ever talks about it.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Had to do this on Saturday as we were in Center Parks. Planned to watch the game live, but had to be sociable and go swimming with the family at 14:30. Turned phone off, and waited it out with my brother until MOTD. May have woken the rest of the cabin up when the goals went in!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
After our result last Saturday, I had a very strange sensation - that of actually wanting to watch MoTD, which hasn't happened for a good few years I can tell you. I find it's always more of a good watch if you don't know any of the other scores, but avoiding them was like an MI5 test in reverse - "Don't find out any information at all, you have 5 hours, GO..."

I failed. Just.

Godspeed, OP.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It used to be pretty easy but these days with wall to wall coverage on every type of media going it must be a bloody nightmare. Definitely have to switch the phone off as it delights in telling me possible team lineups, actual teams, kick off, goals, penalties etc etc and that's just from the football app. Switch that off and Google will still inform me of latest scores. Switch updates from Google off and my Mum would probably WhatsApp me.

Knowing my luck I'd manage to avoid all this and then forget that the car radio was set to Five Live when I got in it to drive home.....

Best of luck OP and let us know how it goes!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It used to be pretty easy but these days with wall to wall coverage on every type of media going it must be a bloody nightmare. Definitely have to switch the phone off as it delights in telling me possible team lineups, actual teams, kick off, goals, penalties etc etc and that's just from the football app. Switch that off and Google will still inform me of latest scores. Switch updates from Google off and my Mum would probably WhatsApp me.

Knowing my luck I'd manage to avoid all this and then forget that the car radio was set to Five Live when I got in it to drive home.....

Best of luck OP and let us know how it goes!

and even with all media off and phone not being answered.

The biggest booby trap can be turning to MOTD at the scheduled start time only to turn over directly into the sports news. You almost have to forfeit the first few mins of MOTD to be sure

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not on purpose.....

Was travelling in Kenya at the end of the 96-97 season. You know, just an ordinary run-of-the-mill season. Last game, you might recall, was away at Hereford. Had quite a few Tuskers during the afternoon, popped on World Service radio and listened to the Saturday football in my tent. First mention of our game was the half-time score, 1-0 to Hereford. Had another Tusker to commiserate, felt a bit sick and passed out in my tent.

It was about three days later that I went into Mombasa and picked up a copy of the Daily Nation which had all the scores from the previous weekend's football. In it it said Hereford 1 Brighton 1 - but Brighton's '1' had been printed out of line with all the other scores, so not sure I could trust it. Eventually rang home and got it confirmed.

So I spent about 3 days fairly certain that we had been relegated to the conference :lolol::facepalm:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
and even with all media off and phone not being answered.

The biggest booby trap can be turning to MOTD at the scheduled start time only to turn over directly into the sports news. You almost have to forfeit the first few mins of MOTD to be sure

Plus MOTD does this thing where after the first 2 or 3 games they preview the rest of the games. So far without fail the team they show having a shot well saved or hitting the bar is the team that goes on to lose the game.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I don't try and avoid as such, but when I'm not at a game, I don't watch on TV or listen on the radio as I get too nervous. I tend to watch the goal updates on one of those footie score apps, and every now and then, I'll cover the score and slowly reveal it, starting with the opposition, to break it to myself as gently as possible! Odd I know!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Liverpool v Brighton in the cup around 5-6 years back.

Was working until late so kept phone off, drove home without radio, and sat down to watch the game. At full time [must have been 10-11pm or so by now] switched on my phone and flicked through Facebook to see many of my friends who went were stuck on a broken down train in Crewe

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For the Man City game, I was assisting The Grub photographing a wedding.

I was sure that someone would mention the game, but still took as many precautions as possible with phone off and the like.

We finished up at midnight and drove home to watch MOTD that I'd set to record. It's a nice feeling as they work through the games that it probably hasn't got a lot of goals in it if it isn't featured early. I was quite relaxed by the time it got round to our game and thought we might have nicked a point.

Opposite happened with England v Holland at Euro 96. I was a venture scout leader so recorded the game in full and told everyone at the start of the evening not to tell me anything if they happened to hear.
One of the scroats who hadn't turned up for the evening ran in just before we finished shouting "we won 4-1!".
It wasn't the same watching the game after that!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Myself cannot resist peeking at Albion results, if not able to see or hear game, it's in the Albion genes don't you know :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here