Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jacob Rees Mogg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
JRM said today he found the growth in the use of food bank as 'rather uplifting'.

He is so proud that he composed this little ditty

What fabulous things are the food banks
I think we need rather more
So let's give the nation's heartfelt thanks
To those who are feeding the poor

Who needs to pop into Harrods
With these things right by your door
With free rich tea bikkies and carrots
How heavenly it is be poor

It makes me so proud to be Tory
To see these rolled out by the score
It's such a successful story
That they're queueing up to be poor
Did he really write that song ?

What a goon !

[emoji38]ol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He said that the charitable spirit of food banks is 'rather uplifting'.

It is.

OP it almost sounds like you would have people believe that JRM was saying that people needing foodbanks is 'rather uplifting'.

The difference between those two sentiments is night and day, and this is why I really really dislike todays liberals. Because you are more than happy to twist a persons words in order to besmirch their character. You feel no shame in pretending that a decent person, whose politics you disagree with, is infact a bad person.

So ugly.

This, absolutely THIS. Charitable actions IS rather uplifting. In the same way as the money raised by Children In Need, or Help a London Child is incredibly heart-warming. The knowledge that despite what some sections of society and the media would have us believe, there is a lot of mutual care in our society, where we do try to do what we can for each other. The need for charities is always because of a sad event, or story or circumstance, but to imply someone who finds the charitable work uplifting is actually celebrating the need itself is, to put it kindly, misrepresentation.

I find it so draining and depressing that we are racing towards a broad view whereby what one person votes for (party or EU Referendum) seems to define everything about them. If you vote with me you are flawless in every way, but if you vote the other way, you and everything you do or say is EVIL. The reality is full of so many more shades of grey than that. Less hating, more understanding.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He is what he is, a product of privilege, a rather orthodox Roman Catholic and a strange man who took his nanny on the campaign trail. It was quite interesting when, the other day, he was the eye of a social media hurricane over his views on abortion and gay marriage, which seemed to shock many who took him for a sort of Boris Johnson with a comb. Anyone who has observed his political career will not find any of these opinions at all surprising. I have a grudging sort of respect for his honesty, which is completely at odds with Theresa May's 'I'll do, say and believe absolutely anything you like if I think it'll help me keep my job' approach.

I share your view about a grudging respect for his honesty, to be fair. I am just totally at the other end of the spectrum, as far as I can work out, on just about everything he stands for and believes and thinks. And that includes, being a Christian, even the things he says are influenced or distated by his faith.

Many people might find it hard to accept that people of faith can have wildly differing views on any particular subject, but they can. I can well remember being a while ago (more than 20 years) at a Regional Church meeting where they had on the agenda the question of gay clergy - i was only an observer, because it was not my Church. But the passion on both sides from people with well thought out and deeply held convictions was there for all to see. The 7 Bishops who signed a letter to the Guardian yesterday about poverty related issues obviously have views which are very, very different to those of Mr Rees-Mogg.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
People helping other people is uplifting, yes. But mainly for the people who have to make the choice between medicine, clothes or food, not someone who is part of the leading political party. Sure, he is uplifted on a 'human' level, but as a politician he should be telling us how he is planning to distribute the annual surplus of 13 billion pounds in unclaimed benefits to the people who need it so that food banks are not their only choice. That would be uplifting.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
This was a twisting of words, though I agree that frankly anything the richest member of parliament (reportedly) says regarding food banks is going to sound ridiculous and makes him look incredibly out of touch, which he clearly is.

Surely the much more important and worrying bit is what he said afterwards, insinuating that vastly increased food bank usage was because the Tories have made people far more aware of them during their time in power and that Labour had done their best to hide their existence- I mean seriously what planet is he on? I also fail to see the need to twist his initial words since he's indicting himself so clearly with his idiocy a few seconds later!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It is up lifting when charities save him from spending tax-payers money on poor people when he should be using it to feather the nest of his cronies.

How anyone can suggest, or support someone who suggests that food banks being in use is uplifting is beyond me. It does make me laugh how deep into semantics some people will go to support their team though.

You're closer to Pluto than my point.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
What a joke. The money tree would need to reach outer space just to serve all of Corbyns false promises to garner votes

The only joke is that the Tories spent the entire election harping on about the magic money tree whilst simultaneously saying there wasn't enough money for public services etc and then used a billion pound bribe to stay in power.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This, absolutely THIS. Charitable actions IS rather uplifting. In the same way as the money raised by Children In Need, or Help a London Child is incredibly heart-warming. The knowledge that despite what some sections of society and the media would have us believe, there is a lot of mutual care in our society, where we do try to do what we can for each other. The need for charities is always because of a sad event, or story or circumstance, but to imply someone who finds the charitable work uplifting is actually celebrating the need itself is, to put it kindly, misrepresentation.

I find it so draining and depressing that we are racing towards a broad view whereby what one person votes for (party or EU Referendum) seems to define everything about them. If you vote with me you are flawless in every way, but if you vote the other way, you and everything you do or say is EVIL. The reality is full of so many more shades of grey than that. Less hating, more understanding.

It's worrying election candidates were receiving rape and death threats during the last GE. There was a debate about it in the Commons yesterday, with one MP stating a teacher had told children not to talk to his son, because he was the son of a Tory MP.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It's worrying election candidates were receiving rape and death threats during the last GE. There was a debate about it in the Commons yesterday, with one MP stating a teacher had told children not to talk to his son, because he was the son of a Tory MP.

And the school said there was no proof or reports it happened . A Tory lying , whatever next ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He said that the charitable spirit of food banks is 'rather uplifting'.

It is.

OP it almost sounds like you would have people believe that JRM was saying that people needing foodbanks is 'rather uplifting'.

The difference between those two sentiments is night and day, and this is why I really really dislike todays liberals. Because you are more than happy to twist a persons words in order to besmirch their character. You feel no shame in pretending that a decent person, whose politics you disagree with, is infact a bad person.

So ugly.

So, let's consider this logically. Recently the Standard has been reporting cases of slavery in London, and reporting stories from people who have managed to escape. Would your immediate response be that people escaping from slavery is uplifting? Or would you say that the existence of slavery in modern day England is a ****ing disgrace? :shrug:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So, let's consider this logically. Recently the Standard has been reporting cases of slavery in London, and reporting stories from people who have managed to escape. Would your immediate response be that people escaping from slavery is uplifting? Or would you say that the existence of slavery in modern day England is a ****ing disgrace? :shrug:

Yes let's. A direct comparison would be JRM saying charitable efforts to relive the consequences of slavery was uplifting. How many Labour MP's went on air saying food banks were a ****ing disgrace when they were in power? :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes let's. A direct comparison would be JRM saying charitable efforts to relive the consequences of slavery was uplifting. How many Labour MP's went on air saying food banks were a ****ing disgrace when they were in power? :shrug:

JCFG and 'the rivet' disgree with me about a right wing politician.

Now I'm 100% confident I'm right.

Guys, it is about CRASSNESS. If one of your kids died it would be crass to say 'but think about how much extra attention your other kid will now get! - Uplifting!!'.

There are countless other examples I could give you, but in this instance, (topic, correspondents) it would be like offering strawberries to donkeys ....

Anyway, that's enough for 'defend the indefensible'. Kick off becons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here